cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Contributor
Message 31 of 96

Re: IPv6 addresses given but no connection

Go to solution

I'll have a ping at that address in a bit, thanks Liam. I'll also do a factory reset and reconfigure to see if that helps. I never actually used the wizard in the first place, maybe I should try doing the reverse...

In terms of packet sniffing with wire shark etc I could but the question I have is why I can ping the gateway at BT but not Google, all from the router? So it's not so much traffic moving from LAN to WAN but issues from router out. 

I just noticed as of 07:17 this morning I'm getting these lines in my log

May 11 07:46:11 kernel:  <0>nf_ct_icmpv6: ICMPv6 checksum failed
May 11 07:46:11 kernel: IN= OUT= <1>src=ff02:0000:0000:0000:0000:0001:ff06:f7f7 DST=2a00:23c5:7604:4200:0000:0000:0000:0001 <1>LEN=64 TC=0 HOPLIMIT=255 FLOWLBL=0 PROTO=ICMPv6 TYPE=136 CODE=0 
May 11 07:46:12 kernel: nf_ct_icmpv6: ICMPv6 checksum failed

Wondering if that is part of the issue. It might be that one of my daughters switched on a device that's not behaving, it was before I was awake.

I wonder if the router is just showing its age?

0 Ratings
Contributor
Message 32 of 96

Go to solution

Another thought on testing. When I wasn't getting assigned an IPv6 address I borrowed a friends spare Cisco router to test the line. It was his spare that had been used for IPv6 connections in the past successfully but didn't get assigned an address on my line either.

Now I'm getting served an address I'll ask to borrow it again. Maybe that would indicate if the problem is with my hardware or BT's routing. Of course he's just left the country for a couple of weeks....

0 Ratings
Contributor
Message 33 of 96

Go to solution

JUst to wrap up for now, I've tried the full factory reset and configuring from scratch.  No change.  Also in terms of pinging the address suggested by Liam, I tried it on the ppp0 interface from the router and no reply.

0 Ratings
Aspiring Contributor
Message 34 of 96

Go to solution

Hi all,

I hope I'm not hijacking the thread, but reading through all posts and more precisely @De_Carabas's troubleshooting steps, I have to say that I have exactly the same issue on my end.

My router is Netgear WNDR3700v2 currenlty running the latest version of LEDE - 17.01.1 (l'm long time user of OpenWRT). Signed up for BT Infinity FTTC offer recently, line is live since 03/05. Got their SmartHub 6, which received the IPv6 prefix and showed IPv6 as functional. However I wasn't able to ping any global IPv6 address from behind the router. Long story short - the SmartHub is now retired in the closet and I'm connecting with Huawei HG612 modem in bridge mode, terminating the PPPoE connection in the Netgear router.

The only "external" IPv6 address I'm able to reach is BT's link local gateway address - fe80::ea4:2ff:fe3e:1 :

# ping fe80::ea4:2ff:fe3e:1%pppoe-wan
PING fe80::ea4:2ff:fe3e:1%pppoe-wan (fe80::ea4:2ff:fe3e:1%pppoe-wan): 56 data bytes
64 bytes from fe80::ea4:2ff:fe3e:1: seq=0 ttl=255 time=4.827 ms
64 bytes from fe80::ea4:2ff:fe3e:1: seq=1 ttl=255 time=4.772 ms
64 bytes from fe80::ea4:2ff:fe3e:1: seq=2 ttl=255 time=4.802 ms
64 bytes from fe80::ea4:2ff:fe3e:1: seq=3 ttl=255 time=4.810 ms

This link local address is correctly configured as next hop in the routing table, but nothing goes past it.

Here's the full output of the ifstatus command in respect of the wan6 interface:

# ifstatus wan6
{
        "up": true,
        "pending": false,
        "available": true,
        "autostart": true,
        "dynamic": false,
        "uptime": 1081,
        "l3_device": "pppoe-wan",
        "proto": "dhcpv6",
        "device": "pppoe-wan",
        "updated": [
                "routes",
                "prefixes"
        ],
        "metric": 0,
        "dns_metric": 0,
        "delegation": true,
        "ipv4-address": [

],
        "ipv6-address": [

],
        "ipv6-prefix": [
                {
                        "address": "2a00:23c5:7604:5600::",
                        "mask": 56,
                        "preferred": 315358913,
                        "valid": 315358913,
                        "class": "wan6",
                        "assigned": {
                                "lan": {
                                        "address": "2a00:23c5:7604:5600::",
                                        "mask": 64
                                }
                        }
                }
        ],
        "ipv6-prefix-assignment": [

],
        "route": [
                {
                        "target": "::",
                        "mask": 0,
                        "nexthop": "fe80::ea4:2ff:fe3e:1",
                        "metric": 512,
                        "valid": 3409,
                        "source": "2a00:23c5:7604:5600::\/56"
                }
        ],
        "dns-server": [

],
        "dns-search": [

],
        "inactive": {
                "ipv4-address": [

],
                "ipv6-address": [

],
                "route": [

],
                "dns-server": [

],
                "dns-search": [

]
        },
        "data": {

}
}

I'm pretty sure that this issue is some misconfiguration of IPv6 routes on BT's end. But I have no idea how or where to report it (service desk agent mentioned something along the lines that not all customers have IPv6 activated yet, which I doubt is the case).

Any insights on this matter will be highly appreciated.

0 Ratings
Recognised Expert
Message 35 of 96

Go to solution

@De_Carabas

I must admit that the issue is puzzling.  Either a hardware fault, the Asus, or firmware corrupt perhaps.  Failing that it may be a routing issue with BT, doubtful though as you get the /56 prefix showing on the LAN side.  Which still seems to point to configuration.  Grasping at straws now, are there any 'Passthrough' settings enabled?

Is so try disabling them all and restarting the router and see what happens.

0 Ratings
Recognised Expert
Message 36 of 96

Go to solution

@zzz

Netgear don't seem to be able to work with /56 PD as used by most ISPs.  They say they support IPv6 but only if the ISP is delegating a /64.

No idea what the score is with the LEDE - 17.01.1 you mention, it may or may not enable support for /48 and /56 prefix delegation.  Stopped using Netgear kit about 5 years ago and have no intention of using them again.  They might fix IPv6 in the future but I'm not counting on it.

0 Ratings
Aspiring Contributor
Message 37 of 96

Go to solution

@Liam_

I've never used Netgear's stock firmware - it has always been running OpenWrt. Had a working IPv6, altough not native (through Hurricane Electric's tunneling services). I was running OpenWrt 15.05.01 and after IPv6 with BT was not functional, I thought that it might be OpenWrt's fault, that's why I flashed LEDE. The result is the same - router correctly recognised its delegated /56 prefix, assigned /64 on the LAN interface and devices connected to it get IPv6 addresses from the delegated prefix. What is not wokring is IPv6 packets passing past BT's link local gateway device.

0 Ratings
Recognised Expert
Message 38 of 96

Go to solution

Ah, thanks for that info.  Well it could be that you are in one of the areas having IPv6 issues.  Been mentioned in other threads, BT apparently working on a fix but no time frame or much more information unfortunately.

Contributor
Message 39 of 96

Go to solution

@zzz

Perhaps I'm not going mad afterall!  Sorry, misery does love company.

You don't happen to live in Bracknell do you?

0 Ratings
Aspiring Contributor
Message 40 of 96

Go to solution

@De_Carabas

Indeed, I live in Bracknell 🙂 It's comforting to know that I'm not the only customer with IPv6 routing issues.

I was about to ask for more info regarding the areas affected by IPv6 issues, until I saw your reply...

0 Ratings