cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Recognised Expert
Message 81 of 96

Re: IPv6 addresses given but no connection

Go to solution

You might want to have a look on the DrayTek site.  It's a little long winded for posting here.  You need to register if you haven't already done so.

https://www.draytek.co.uk/support/guides/kb-ipv6-ppp

0 Ratings
Beginner
Message 82 of 96

Go to solution
Thank you once again for your swift reply. i have already tried those settings and they do not work. there is no connection and no IPv6 IP address allocated.
0 Ratings
Recognised Expert
Message 83 of 96

Go to solution

Assuming you made these changes in the image and rebooted the router.  It should have worked. 

Ignore anything relating to tunnel.  None of that should be enabled.

The only other thing I can think of is you might want to try setting different DNS servers.  Last year before IPv6 went active I enabled it on my router, I use OpenDNS servers - 208.67.220.220  and  208.67.222.222.  When IPv6 went active on the line the router automatically received the IPv6 prefix via DHCP.  Then the OpenDNS v6 servers were automatically set in the router.

Worst case would be to try a factory reset and try again.  Going by the slightly unhelpful manual the info in the image  should do the trick.

2860 IPv6.png

You could also check that PPPoE/PPPoA is selected.  Though I guess it would be if you have any kind of connection.

0 Ratings
Beginner
Message 84 of 96

Go to solution

Hi Liam,

i agree, it should have worked. I changed to the DNS servers you suggested and rebooted but, alas, no IPv6 connection.The IPv4 connection is a good stable connection in PPPoE mode.

Thanks for your help.

Paul

0 Ratings
Recognised Expert
Message 85 of 96

Go to solution

On having a further look around for issues with the DrayTek you have, not a lot turned up.  One reference, from 2014 admittedly, stated (quote), "I was researching VDSL routers a while back and remember seeing something about an issue with DrayTek routers and IPv6. I think it was that IPv6 only appeared to work when the router was used in conjunction with the Openreach VDSL modem (so using PPPoE over an ethernet connection to the Openreach modem). People were not able to get it work
when connected directly using the DrayTek's internal VDSL modem."

Going by the above I would think it was perhaps a firmware issue in that particular case.  Do you have the latest firmware?

It's 3.8.5.1_BT

So if yours is older it might be worth updating the firmware and then doing the Factory reset and trying again.  Always a good idea to do factory reset after firmware update.  Cleans things up.   Only other thing I can think of to check is that you are not accidentally selecting a different (i.e.: the wrong) WAN connection.

0 Ratings
Beginner
Message 86 of 96

Go to solution

Hi Liam,

Yes i updated the firmware to 3.8.5.1_BT, factory reset then imported the settings file, so i feel that it's a BT problem  which seems to have been experienced by people further up this thread, one of whom was also using a similar Draytek.

The WAN connection is explictly marked WAN1 VDSL2/PPPoE for IPv4 and the router shows that IPv6 is enabled on the WAN1 interface and has allocated an internal IPv6 IP address. It's just that there is no connection to BT and therefore no global IPv6 address.

Thanks as ever for your continuing efforts.

Paul

0 Ratings
Recognised Expert
Message 87 of 96

Go to solution

Not sure if your Draytek supports it and how technical you want to get with this, but perhaps try capturing the traffic on the WAN interface as described in the Draytek How to capture Router's WAN packets? guide.

If you can capture when the PPPoE connection is being established we'd then be able to see whether the Draytek is actually sending the PPP IPv6 Control Protocol packets and whether there's any DHCPv6 Prefix delegation request and response i.e., solicit and advertise, subsequent to that.

0 Ratings
Recognised Expert
Message 88 of 96

Go to solution

Seems a bit odd.  It could be a localised network issue with IPv6 I suppose, as it has happened before to some users.  Everything I'm finding related to the 2860 and IPv6 would seem to indicate it works ok.  BT have already addressed an issue on the network causing intermittent or no IPv6 connectivity in some areas.  It may be another area is now affected. Sorry it's not a lot of help, but barring a fault in the router the issue is likely external.

0 Ratings
Beginner
Message 89 of 96

Go to solution

The result of a 28 minute telephone conversation with BT is that IPv6 is not available over their whole network automatically. I am on part of their IPv4 network that is being deprecated so giving me IPv6 involves moving me to a new IPv4 address which will also be enabled for IPv6.

Thank you for your help and for the capture idea which proved that the fault laid with BT.

0 Ratings
Recognised Expert
Message 90 of 96

Go to solution

Hi Paul,

Thanks for posting that info.  Interesting.  Theoretically then it should just be a case of doing a release/renew of the connection.  Somewhere around the internet settings there should be something like "Reconnect"  that will drop the session and refresh it again.  Normally resulting in a new IP address and often a new route in the network which might move you to a part that has IPv6 working.

Liam

0 Ratings