cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 11

IPv6 and email (Outlook 2016) problems

Go to solution

I’m a BT home broadband customer and was recently switched to an IPv6 address.

I use Microsoft Outlook 2016 as my email client but since getting the IPv6 address, I’ve been having lots of problems with my email.

At first it was difficult to know what was happening… typically, Outlook would not start properly, (although sometimes if I just left it, it would start after about 5 or 10 minutes!) and even if it did start, it would fail to connect to the email server (I use GoDaddy for my domain and email services).

When I finally realised that the problems were being caused by the IPv6 address (if I switch off IPv6 in my router, Outlook works fine and connects to the mail server… switching IPv6 on again and the issues with Outlook/email come back), I first contacted GoDaddy to report the issue.

After about 2 hours on the phone with their ‘technical support team’ (bit of a joke that!), they ended up basically saying it was not their fault, but rather I should contact Microsoft to get them to sort out the issue with Outlook 2016.

After about 2.5 hours on the phone with Microsoft’s ‘technical support team’ (even bigger joke than GoDaddy’s!) … being shuttled between different departments, both in the UK and the US, they ended up saying it was a BT issue!

I contacted BT support but they were unable to offer a solution to the problems with email and IPv6. Out of the three support teams, BT were the most understanding and helpful, even if they didn’t resolve the issue.

At this point, I’m not at all sure where the answer to this issue lays; with GoDaddy, Microsoft or BT? For the moment, it seems the only way to work around it is to leave IPv6 off?

I wonder if anyone else has had similar issues and if so, have they found a solution?... would be most grateful for any help/feedback.

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 11

Re: IPv6 and email (Outlook 2016) problems

Go to solution

Try setting 2001:4860:4860::8888 and 2001:4860:4860::8844 (Google) as your DNS servers in your IPv6 settings on your router. If that doesn't work, just disable IPv6.

Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 11

Go to solution

Hi... many thanks for the reply.

I already had the Google IPv6 DNS servers set as you suggest but unfortunately, still no joy with email.

Yes, I've disabled IPv6 but I guess going forward, this issue will need to be resolved as IPv6 becomes more widely taken up and used.

Thanks again.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 11

Go to solution

Counter intuitively, just as an experiment, try setting your router to automatically obtain DNS server addresses in your router.

0 Ratings
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 11

Go to solution

Ok.... I'll give it a try. 

Will report back what I find. Thanks again for the help  Smiley Happy

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 11

Go to solution

@sam_glaim wrote:

Hi... many thanks for the reply.

I already had the Google IPv6 DNS servers set as you suggest but unfortunately, still no joy with email.

Yes, I've disabled IPv6 but I guess going forward, this issue will need to be resolved as IPv6 becomes more widely taken up and used.

Thanks again.

There was a problem in the early days with Office Outlook 2016 and IPv6, which resolved itself. This was using BT mail server.

The problem most likely points to your email server.

0 Ratings
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 11

Go to solution

Wow.... impressed..... that worked a treat   Smiley HappyHeart

I use my own modem/router (not BT Hub) and seperate wifi router and set the Google IPv6 DNS servers in both... just to make sure... but.... It works great!

So, 4.5 hours or more and whatever cost for the telephone calls to tech' support, and the BT Community forum and licquorice cracked the answer in minutes.... Many Thanks guys!

Cheers  Smiley Happy

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 11

Go to solution

Don't get too excited, the reason it works is BT don't have IPv6 DNS servers yet so you are using an IPv4 DNS server. I'm purely guessing here, but I suspect an IPv6 DNS server will only give IPv6 addresses but an IPv4 DNS server will give both IPv6 and IPv4 addresses and that the BT mail server doesn't have an IPv6 address. @smf22 may correct me on that.

0 Ratings
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 11

Go to solution

Again... thanks for the reply and info.

Well, it's definitely working at the moment and thats after I spent about a week at first just trying to figure out what was going on with my email, and then after figuring out it was related to IPv6 and the many hours with technical support, and not getting anywhere, so I'm really pleased to finally find an answer.... at least for the moment  😉

I know it's early days for the IPv6 rollout, but hopefully soon, all the wrinkles and kinks will be sorted out.

Many thanks Smiley Happy

0 Ratings
Recognised Expert
Message 10 of 11

Go to solution

@licquorice wrote:

Don't get too excited, the reason it works is BT don't have IPv6 DNS servers yet so you are using an IPv4 DNS server. I'm purely guessing here, but I suspect an IPv6 DNS server will only give IPv6 addresses but an IPv4 DNS server will give both IPv6 and IPv4 addresses and that the BT mail server doesn't have an IPv6 address. @smf22 may correct me on that.

The answer given by a DNS server depends upon the question asked of it, but both IPv4 and IPv6 DNS servers will provide IPv4 and IPv6 addresses. This can be seen below where I ask i) Google IPv4 server for IPv4 address; ii) Google IPv4 server for IPv6 address; iii) Google IPv6 server for IPv4 address; and iv) Google IPv6 server for IPv6 address.

[smf22@nms ~]$ dig bbc.co.uk A @8.8.8.8 | grep '^;; ANSWER' -A 2
;; ANSWER SECTION:
bbc.co.uk.              223     IN      A       212.58.246.78
bbc.co.uk.              223     IN      A       212.58.244.23
[smf22@nms ~]$ dig bbc.co.uk AAAA @8.8.8.8 | grep '^;; ANSWER' -A 2
;; ANSWER SECTION:
bbc.co.uk.              668     IN      AAAA    2001:41c1:4008::bbc:4
bbc.co.uk.              668     IN      AAAA    2001:41c1:4008::bbc:3
[smf22@nms ~]$ dig bbc.co.uk A @2001:4860:4860::8888 | grep '^;; ANSWER' -A 2
;; ANSWER SECTION:
bbc.co.uk.              292     IN      A       212.58.244.23
bbc.co.uk.              292     IN      A       212.58.244.22
[smf22@nms ~]$ dig bbc.co.uk AAAA @2001:4860:4860::8888 | grep '^;; ANSWER' -A 2
;; ANSWER SECTION:
bbc.co.uk.              537     IN      AAAA    2001:41c1:400c::bbc:4
bbc.co.uk.              537     IN      AAAA    2001:41c1:4008::bbc:4

In general a client will request both A (IPv4) and AAAA (IPv6) addresses and if both exist the DNS server will provide both, irrespective of whether that question was asked via IPv4 or IPv6.