Passpa2
Beginner
Message 1 of 1

IPv6 causing Gmail issues

Desktop PC

Windows 7 Pro x64

Ethernet connected through Powerline

Outlook 2003

I signed up for Infinity about a month ago and was provided with a home hub 6 having previously had a home hub 4.

On the hh4 the only problem I had with Gmail was when Google introduced a switch for legacy mail clients in the security settings. Once I had turned these on for all my Gmail POP accounts there were no further problems.

However, I don't know whether it's the hh6 or BT's rollout of IPv6 but ALL my Gmail accounts are now failing to receive emails with the 0x800408FC message 'The server name you entered can not be found on the network'.

It turns out that if I disable IPv6 on my PC network card then all the accounts receive mail successfully. If I turn it back on then they fail again. There doesn't appear to be a problem with accessing web pages.

What's puzzling me is that both IPv4 and IPv6 were turned on using the hh4 and there was no problem.

So the question is, does anybody know why the hh6 or the IPv6 rollout would cause a problem receiving emails?

I can turn the IPv6 off on my network adapter as a workaround but ultimately I'd rather leave it swtiched on and forget about it.

Regards

0 Ratings