cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pauliddon
Beginner
Message 1 of 8

ITV Player quality

Since getting my new youview box I have noticed that the quality of the ITV on demand picture is very grainy compared to the ITV player on my old bt vision box.

I wouldnt mind, but the ads I am forced!!!! to watch are all in HD.

BBC Iplayer works perfectly in HD so its not my connection.

Any settings for HD like I can find in the Iplayer app?

Thanks

Paul

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8

Re: ITV Player quality

Hi pauliddon,

Thanks for posting. Are you getting this on one channel only? Are you having any other issues with it? If you haven't got it sorted drop me an email with the details. You'll find the "contact us" form in the about me section of my profile.

Cheers

David
0 Ratings
JonCamBates
Beginner
Message 3 of 8

This has been discussed many times on various tech/TV forums. It is not unique to YouView as the same experience is present on the BT Vision box, web browser and my Playstation 3. It's the bit rate that ITV use for the Player. It renders the picture unwatchable on anything that is moving quickly on the screen.

The X-Factor for example was just a blur when flashing lights, fast movement and falling confetti were on the screen. It is plain and simply NOT GOOD ENOUGH for an advertising funded player. There is no problem with Channel 4, 5 or BBC so it's clearly ITV that have not invested in the infrastructure necessary.

I have been told to email ITV with my complaints... don't bother. They shrug you off claiming there's no problem and it must be somehow my fault.

0 Ratings
Colin_London
Recognised Expert
Message 4 of 8

ITV Player is particularly poor quality. Definitely the poor relation to iPlayer.

BBC iPlayer in HD is very good, but SD programmes are better via my Sony TV iPlayer instance than via Youview.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
kryten22uk
Contributor
Message 5 of 8

Dug this thread up, as the kids/wife have been watching Britains Got Talent, and the quality is just appauling.  Never noticed a problem there.  I take it, its just ITV penny-pinching with the quality of their hardware/product, rather than the capability of the YouView box to transfer the stream?

Also, you cant fast forward when adverts have started, which makes sense, but you can fast forward if you do so before they starts.  But if you do that then something odd happens; you fast forward through the adverts (according to the timeline/statusbar), but when you press play you see an advert and they it cuts to partway into the feature programme.  Not sure whats happening there. 

0 Ratings
TrickyDicky
Aspiring Expert
Message 6 of 8

My Itv player was awful too ............. but recently (last two weeks [ish]) it has been fine (Touch Wood) even if I catch up on a popular program shortly after it has been broadcast ............ which is when it was at its worse.

Ch 4 still iffy though !!!

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings Star on the left-hand side of the post.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Colin_London
Recognised Expert
Message 7 of 8

It's ITVs fault - they scrimp on bandwidth and it shows. 4od and Demand 5 are only a little better. iPlayer HD knocks spots off them all.

Don't complain to BT or Youview, complain to ITV.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 8 of 8

Lets hope that whatever catchup BT provides for its own (sports) channels aspires to similar  quality  as that provided by  the BBC as opposed to the other broadcasters.  

0 Ratings