Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
TimCurtis
Recognised Expert
Message 1 of 14

If BT send you a replacement Youview box be wary

Go to solution

Had an online chat about my failed T2100 box & being in contract was offered a free replacement which I accepted.

Turned out I was given an Ultra HD box as an upgrade instead & BT renewed my TV contract for another 12 or 18 months - email said 18 but order on my account said 12 so who knows.

No mention in the chat about a new contract so if you request a replacement box at any time be on your guard as the contract maybe renewed without you knowing it.

I've lodged an official complaint about this underhand practice.

0 Ratings
13 REPLIES 13
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 14

Re: If BT send you a replacement Youview box be wary

Go to solution

Seems fair to me. By giving you a new box, you need to have a contract period that covers the deferred cost, so 12 months would be the minimum.

0 Ratings
MadRob
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 14

Go to solution

Quite clearly you have been dealt with in an unfair and underhanded manner, of that there can be no doubt. You are right to complain as you were not made aware that you would be entered into a new contract. @Keith_Beddoe is correct in his view re deferred cost etc BUT you should have been informed about the contract so you would have had the choice on whether to proceed or not.

@TimCurtis. It may be useful to repost this in the Youview section (where you 1st posted this) as this would obviously be information of benefit to anyone in that subsection of the forum more than anyone in this area. Maybe if you repost BT could leave your post where it belongs instead of burying it in here. After all, anyone with an issue with their box, or checking to see if a replacement is possible in event of box failure, is going to check in the Youview section. Sometimes I think posts are moved to further confuse and bewilder the customers.

No doubt they'll come up with some excuse to explain their behaviour.

0 Ratings
PaddyB
Message 4 of 14

Go to solution

Hi @TimCurtis,

Something isn't right here, you shouldn't have been placed onto a new contract without your knowledge. BT would have to confirm that you've understood and agreed to the new term before making any changes to your service. I'd like to take a look at what is happening with your complaint.

Please can you send me in your details using the "Contact The Mods" link found in my profile?

Thanks

PaddyB

0 Ratings
MadRob
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 14

Go to solution

Fair play @PaddyB. It's good to see a fair hand at play. Well done.

What I don't understand is why @Keith_Beddoe believes it is fair to put someone onto a new contract without informing them first as is/was the case with Tim's complaint.

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 14

Go to solution

I did not say it was fair, in that they should have been informed about the new contract. The same can happen if you request a replacement home hub.

I took a look at the T&Cs, and cannot see any mention of this.

0 Ratings
MadRob
Aspiring Expert
Message 7 of 14

Go to solution

Thanks for clarifying your post @Keith_Beddoe.

0 Ratings
TimCurtis
Recognised Expert
Message 8 of 14

Go to solution

@PaddyB

Just done so. Thanks

0 Ratings
JohnC2
Message 9 of 14

Go to solution

Hi @TimCurtis Thanks for taking my call earlier and sorry you were not made aware of the new contract when the box was being replaced. Just to confirm for the community I have removed the new BTTV contract with no cancellation charges. 

Cheers

John

0 Ratings
TimCurtis
Recognised Expert
Message 10 of 14

Go to solution

@JohnC2

Excellent , thank you very much.

In my limited experience - just 2 contacts with the mods to solve an issue - the BT guys on here do an excellent job. Smiley Happy

0 Ratings