Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
clicktraining
Beginner
Message 1 of 6

Imap synch issues

Go to solution

How can changing from POP to IMAP cause so many hours of work and so many issues? I have done this many many times to help people using Outlook and never come across such problems.

The main issue is that there have been no emails received since Sunday and I have spent 3 hours on behalf of a BT client so far.

It's shocking. She has all the settings correct in Outlook. A new data file. (had to export and import the contacts and it messed those up also putting percentage signs before every name) and then it just sits there at the bottom of the page sending and receiving with the message

Synchronising subscribed folders for emailaddress

For three days now.

Would the moderators or the Chairman please take note. The client of yours is an elderly lady who relies on email as her lifeline and needs support which is why I am posting on her behalf. I will probably switch her to outlook.com if noone can resolve.

I have never come across such a useless helpdesk from any ISP I have called and after this recent issue I will not be advising my clients to sign up for BT email. If Outlook is synchronizing cotninuously so she can't get emails it is obviously an issue with the BT servers. The only reason I moved her to imap is because of the constantly recurring password pop up box issues in her POP account

As a last resort I am considering going back to the drawing board and deleting everything and recreating the profile and everything again.

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 6

Re: Imap synch issues

Go to solution
0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 6

Go to solution

@clicktraining wrote:

How can changing from POP to IMAP cause so many hours of work and so many issues? I have done this many many times to help people using Outlook and never come across such problems.

In which case you have been very lucky if you previously employed the method described in your other thread.

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 6

Go to solution

I agree.There does seem to be some user error. 

Your last statement about deleting and starting again would be your best solution. Make sure you back up any emails that were downloaded when the email client was set up as a POP3 account. I would also save/export all the contacts as well in case you have further problems.

0 Ratings
clicktraining
Beginner
Message 5 of 6

Go to solution

Yes but it was not described very well there. I am grateful for your reply. The lady is so upset. Of course I deleted the pop before putting imap, I don't know why I thought I hadn't. I did everything by the book.

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 6

Go to solution

When you are setting the account up, do it manually and do not use the wizard.

Use the BT settings here

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/44917/kw/bt%20mail/c/346,6588,6591

If you have a problem with those settings it may be that she is still on BTYahoo email system in which case you could try the Yahoo settings here

https://help.yahoo.com/kb/SLN4075.html

0 Ratings