cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Murigen
Message 1 of 6

In regards to the 10 day period...

So we switched from Virgin Media to BT recently and found that my "up to 20MB" connection has been running at substandard rates. I am aware that there is a 10 day trial where they test my connection and all that, but my connection has not been dipping up or down so far during this test. As such, I decided to look things up and came upon these forums. People suggested BT's line test to specifically see what speeds I can get and although everything technically adds for the information given, it is most definitely NOT a "up to 20MB" connection. Should I contact BT or will everything go up after the 10 day period? Here is the results of my speed test:

Download speedachieved during the test was - 1678 Kbps
 For your connection, the acceptable range of speedsis 400-2000 Kbps.
 Additional Information:
 Your DSL Connection Rate :2112 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 448 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
 IP Profile for your line is - 1750 Kbps
The throughput of Best Efforts (BE) classes achieved during the test is - 13.83:25.39:60.79 (SBE:NBE:PBE)
These figures represent the ratio while sententiously passing Sub BE, Normal BE and Priority BE marked traffic.

The results of this test will vary depending on the way your ISP has decided to use these traffic classes.

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
djh22
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 6

Re: In regards to the 10 day period...

Have you added any new telephony or changed your set up recently ?

Have you tried running the test from the test socket ? it's behind the faceplate on the main BT socket.

Test socket

Have you done some speed tests at different times during the day ? is the downspeed consistent or does it drop during peak times say from 4 in the afternoon onwards ?

Also check that your router connection speed and noise margins are consistent.

0 Ratings
Guru
Message 3 of 6

The 10 days you refer to is a line training period that the DSLAM/MSAN you are connected to applies to the line in order for the MSR to be set..(Maximum Stable Rate).

It is an algorithm based automatic process and must run uninterupted in order for the exchange to supply a solution for your line rate.

It is preferable to keep the router/hub connected 24/7 throughout the period and avoid frequent router restarts. Only after the line training is over can you make any assumptions about the throughput and quality of connection.  Hope this helps.

0 Ratings
Murigen
Message 4 of 6

It does help, but I am really just curious on if the numbers above will change after the line training is over. I read through some other threads and it made it seem like some are set-in-stone types of numbers. Like the acceptable range and DSL connection info. They are low for what I am paying/should be getting, so I was really just wondering if they could potentially go up.

In regards to  djh22, we have just switched to BT, so I cannot say we have anything specifically new added since. We do have a setup that involves an extension cord; however, we tried not using it and recieved similiar results. I have done connection tests during peak and non-peak times and I also get similiar results (peak times I sometimes drop to insanely low speeds). I do not want to mess with the hub or anything, so I think I am going to avoid the test socket until after the line training is done. Finally, I know where to find the information; in fact, I will post it, but I am not sure what I am looking for. I see an error section that looks it is having errors...not sure if that helps. Here it is regardless...I did notice that my router has the same numbers as my original test, which worries me:

Downstream2,112 Kbps
Upstream448 Kbps

ADSL Settings
VPI/VCI0/38
TypePPPoA
ModulationG.992.1 Annex A
Latency typeFast
Noise margin (Down/Up)3.6 dB / 16.0 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up)51.3 dB / 31.5 dB
Output power (Down/Up)3.2 dBm / 1.3 dBm
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote)0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote)0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote)0 / 0
FEC Errors (Down/Up)0 / 67
CRC Errors (Down/Up)40028 / 89
HEC Errors (Down/Up)26166 / 25
Error Seconds (Local/Remote)15158 / 115
0 Ratings
Guru
Message 5 of 6

In reality if everything was on top form, for your line attenuation you could expect an IP profile of 3000, 3500kbps at best, on a target SNRm of 6db.

Presently your line is running below the minimum SNRm threshold for a "normal" solution, also you;re on fastpath, and for a line that length, again, is an unusual solution.

Both your power levels up and down are unusally low, thus giving all these conditions, clearly the solution is in the making and training in progress.

You won't know until its finished that process.

To get the best from any solution, it's wise to take all precautions regarding the introduction of noise to the line, and make sure extensions are covered by quality filters, and power supplies and the like are segregated away from the router/socket cable.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 6 of 6

The modulation of G.992.1 and the upload speed of 448K suggests you are currently on an "up to 8M" service. BT is still rolling out the "up to 20M" service - it's not available in all areas yet. You should be automatically upgraded at some point.

It's also worth emphasising the important words "up to". Your line may never support even 8M, let alone 20M. ADSL gives you the fastest speed your line supports, which is highly dependent on the length of the line, and the quality of the line.
0 Ratings