cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
AdrianI
Message 1 of 5

Incoming Telephone Calls Causing Broadband Connection Issues

Hi,

My grandmother has a BT Home Hub 1.5 which was working fine until a mid-April or so when BT performed a service update. Since then she has had connection problems after anyone calls her. What seems to happen is that the middle Broadband light goes red and she can no longer connect to the internet and collect her email. However, the problem goes away temporarily when she power cycles the Home Hub. At least until the next call comes in.

We've tried pressing and holding the "Reset to Defaults" button but that also only solved the problem temporarily and not permamently.

It's not a problem with her computer (a Mac) as that's not been changed in this time. Also, I got the same problem from my smartphone whilst I was there.

Any suggestions on what to try next to resolve this?

Regards,

Adrian

PS we've taken our time over this as my grandmother is a little deaf so doesn't get many incoming phone calls and has a workaround. However, this is beginning to get us just a little annoyed since she uses email every day and it's very important to her.

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 5

Re: Incoming Telephone Calls Causing Broadband Connection Issues

welcome to the forum

have you tried replacing the filter?

are you connected to the master, test socket or somewhere else?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
AdrianI
Message 3 of 5

> welcome to the forum

Thanks 🙂

> have you tried replacing the filter?

Is there any reason to think the filter is at fault? No hardware or wiring has been changed for months so that didn't seem to be a likely cause of the problem given it was all working fine up until mid-April.

> are you connected to the master, test socket or somewhere else?

Good question. I suspect it's whatever was done when the broadband was installed (the master?).

Are you basically suggesting performing something like what is described on http://help.orange.co.uk/orangeuk/support/personal/230327?

Cheers,

Adrian

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 5

filters don't last for ever so just because it was ok tesrday doesn't mean it will be ok today - they do fail

yes connecting to the test socket as shown in your link will eliminate any problems caused by your internal wiring.  obviosly if you have no extension sockets in other room then connecting to the test socket should make no difference

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
AdrianI
Message 5 of 5

OK, thanks - we'll try the test socket as there's at least other extension socket in the home but then again I don't think that changed in the time period. Perhaps the filter is broken but I'm just suspicious the problem started when BT did a service update.

0 Ratings