Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
carolm82
Beginner
Message 1 of 5

Incoming calls from Virgin media - number not recognised

Hi,

Can anyone please help? We got a new line installed 6 weeks ago and when anyone on virgin media tries to call it says number not recognised. There is nothing wrong with the phone line as two openreach engineers have been out to test it and say it is a perfect line. Also they both said they should never have been called as it is not a fault that requires engineers and that it is a service provider fault. I am so fed up of calling customer services and getting nowhere. Also they keep texting me saying fault is now resolved after the enginner has been to visit when it clearly is not and the problem remains. It is a brand new line and socket and we can call out no problems and other bt cusomers and mobile networks etc.. can call in but it just seems to be virgin customers all of which are our family and thus the reason we got a landline was to save them calling our mobiles. The first enginner suggested there was a barring on our account but BT say that they are not allowed to bar any numbers. I also logged a complaint about it but am no further forward with this. Finally we are getting 4 calls a day for another person who i found out from one of the callers used to have our BT number and have since moved to virgin media. Could this be the issue? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
plainview
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 5

Re: Incoming calls from Virgin media - number not recognised

Virgin Media need to release your number on their system or whatever it is they do, its got nothing to do with BT. Used to come across this all the time when I used to work for BT.

0 Ratings
carolm82
Beginner
Message 3 of 5

Thanks so much for your help, do you know can BT call them and sort this? I feel like its not our problem to sort as you just expect to get a landline and for it to work. I have spent so much time on this and just want it fixed. I looked on virgin media to email them about it but you have to be a customer of theirs to contact them regarding a fault.

0 Ratings
plainview
Recognised Expert
Message 4 of 5

BT Retail can call the Openreach Number Portability Helpdesk who can call Virgin's Number Port Helpdesk to release the number.

As you know there is no point in BT raising a fault and sending an Openreach Engineer out as there is nothing they can do, it is just a problem between Retail and Virgin.

0 Ratings
carolm82
Beginner
Message 5 of 5

Hi,

Thanks so much for your help. I emailed BT and said what they need to do about contacting the portability team etc..and i got this response yesterday:

Faults and Openreach have said there is no fault with your line so there is nothing further they can do. I have also spoken to someone about number portability and they have said it is nothing to do with that. They have advised that the person calling you from the Virgin line needs to speak to Virgin as the fault lies with them rather than your number.

Do you think this is the only option left to us? I seems a bit cheeky to ask all my family on virgin to have to call virgin and therefore pass the problem onto them.

0 Ratings