Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
nsc410
Beginner
Message 1 of 12

Incorrect cabinet showing on phone number lookup

Go to solution

Hi there,

I don't know if anyone can help/has had the same issues before.

Basically after having some inital problems getting a service to our property we finally now have a connectio - albeit 2Mbps.

When BT took our order, they raised the order on an incorrect street and postcode - I had requested for this to be rectified before Christmas and it still hasn't been done.

The problem is that when doing a phone number lookup, it show's that were into Cabinet 1 (Unable to order fibre) - which I know for a fact we're into Cabinet 8 (which is Fibre enabled). So we are unable to order fibre through the system although technically speaking we can have it right now.

Is it a common issue for address mismatches/cabinet mismatched on the openreach database?

When we look up our address at the correct postcode, it advises that we're served from Cabinet 8 and can order fibre but when the number goes in it advises we can't - as it's pointing to the old Postcode/Cabinet.

Hope that makes sense and thanks!

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 12

Re: Incorrect cabinet showing on phone number lookup

Go to solution

Welcome to this user forum.

The phone number is the only accurate method, as the postcode can cover a number of cabinets.

Does the information  for your house match on the Royal Mail site?

If BT had raised the order for the wrong cabinet, then it would have been rejected by Openreach, and you would have no service.

You can only be connected to one cabinet.

In order to find out what services and speed range you should be getting, please enter your phone number into this form.
Broadband availability checker

Please remember to edit out your phone number before you post the results.

0 Ratings
nsc410
Beginner
Message 3 of 12

Go to solution

Hi Keith,

Thanks for your speedy reply!

I think I may have overcomplicated the question. 

When I run the phone number check, on the BT broadband checker it says that our phone line is serviced by Cabinet 1. 

But I know when the engineers did the install, they put us into Cabinet 8 as there were spares available. 

Is it possible that the openreach database hasn't been updated to show that we're now in Cabinet 8 and how would I get this updated?

Thanks

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 12

Go to solution

Your house would only be connected to one cabinet, it could not be moved as the wiring is fixed.

See if anyone else has any suggestions.

0 Ratings
Webby
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 12

Go to solution

Keith you must now understand that network rearrangement does happen, even more so now with government schemes wanting to get people 24mbps on "superfast" connections such as infill cabinets and line plant rearrangement to move lines to closer cabinets when it's cheaper/more efficient thatn FTTP or installing a new cabinet.

More and more people coming onto the forums with such issues proves that it's happening, and in larger numbers than ever before.

Your old school attitude of "it's not possible" just doesn't wash any more I'm afraid.

If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 12

Go to solution

@Webby

What about the OPs case?

Its Openreach that insist on their website that the network is bespoke, and cannot be altered.

There is another cabinet nearby that is already accepting orders, can I get fibre broadband from there instead.

No, the network over which fibre broadband is provided is bespoke, and all premises are served from dedicated fixed distribution points. Many lines are connected via their own overhead or underground link to a nearby green telephony cabinet. There are no interconnections that could be used to move a line from one cabinet to another.

https://www.homeandwork.openreach.co.uk/help-and-support/when-can-i-get-fibre.aspx

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 12

Go to solution

You need to differentiate between the fact that individual properties cannot be moved from one cabinet to another, but it is possible that network re-arrangements can be made to D side cables feeding multiple properties.

0 Ratings
Webby
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 12

Go to solution
The Openreach website doesn't take into consideration specific curcumstances, or indeed intervention areas where someone else is paying for it (BDUK, community fibre partnerships etc).

It's quite clear this appears to be a database issue. The OP has been told by the engineer on the ground that he's physically connected to cabinet 8, but the checker says otherwise.

What's more likely to be correct? An engineer that's done the physical network check, or a computer system that can be easily altered?
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 12

Go to solution

Although the phrase 'But I know when the engineers did the install, they put us into Cabinet 8 as there were spares available' does seem a little suspect unless the engineer was referring to a network re-arrangemant rather than an individual case.

0 Ratings
nsc410
Beginner
Message 10 of 12

Go to solution

Thanks for all your replies.

It was a new line install - if that would have made any difference.

What would the process be to get openreach to check/update their DB?

Is there any way of telling without an engineer having to visit the Cabinet? Surely on his notes it would advise where the line was installed?

Thanks

0 Ratings