cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Skillers
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 14

Increase minimum noise margin?

Is it possible to get the minimum/target noise margin on my BT ADSL increased?

I have been having stability problems with my broadband every month or so, and they last a few days to a week, in which the internet will disconnect every ~5minutes while in use and give slow speeds/errors in loading when operational, making it nigh on unusable. The rest of the time the internet is rock solid and gives a good speed (~10Mbps). During the last bout last week I checked the noise margin and it was ~6dB, and then once it had fixed itself the noise margin was up to ~12dB, so it appears my line does not support the low noise margin (I have checked pretty much everything else I can) - I imagine it happens every month as the line is detected as stable and noise margin automatically improved until I start getting errors, at which point it takes a while to reset back to a high margin. Is there a way I can get my target/minimum noise margin set higher (~9dB) so I don't get these regular instances of unusable internet?

Apologies if this is a duplicate - I posted this earlier but can no longer find my post (even in my posting history), and have not received any message as to why it was deleted, so I assume there was an error with the forums or something.

Thanks.

0 Ratings
13 REPLIES 13
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 14

Re: Increase minimum noise margin?

6db is the standard default setting if your noise margin was increased 9dB within a short time it will just reset again you really need to find the cause of the problem

Here is a basic guide to getting help from the community members done by CL Keith Please read through the link posted http://forumhelp.dyndns.info/speed/first_steps.html
once you have posted the information asked for then the community members can help you more

if using a hub 4 locate these lines located in the hub logs
Lines should look like this
19:11:29, 07 Nov. (2290101.460000) DSL noise margin: 7.00 dB upstream, 6.10 dB downstream
19:11:29, 07 Nov. (2290101.390000) DSL line rate: 448 Kbps upstream, 288 Kbps downstream

Thank You
This is a customer to customer self help forum the only BT presence here are the forum moderators
0 Ratings
Skillers
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 14

I don't actually want to hit the 6dB noise margin - my connection becomes unstable when it gets to that point, and takes up to a week to go back up (to ~12dB last time, don't have numbers for previous times), at which point the connection becomes rock solid again, speed increases over time until it becomes unstable again and repeats.

What I want to do is to set my minimum noise margin to ~9dB so that it never gets to 6dB and therefore doesn't become unstable. The speed is fine (well, I would rather have infinity, but that's not available, but 10Mbps is plenty when faster means nigh on unusable). Is it possible to get my connection flagged to not go below 9dB?

I've been through most the connection issue troubleshooting when this has happened in the past, but my connection is stable now because my noise margin has gone back up to 12dB.

0 Ratings
conrad
Recognised Expert
Message 4 of 14

The fact that the line becomes unstable when the snr drops to 6db indicates that you do have a problem somewhere .The snr of 9/12 is the DLM trying to stabilise a faulty connection.

I too at one time had a line which was stable at the snr of 9 and unstable at 6db - eventually the problem was solved by replacing my HH3 as it seemed that the psu was giving out interference causing high error counts.

So please go through the link supplied by john46 as the help you will receive could mean your connection gets sorted and you may see an increase in speed,lower snr of 6db and a stable connection.

0 Ratings
dfenceman
Expert
Message 5 of 14

@Skillers wrote:

Apologies if this is a duplicate - I posted this earlier but can no longer find my post (even in my posting history), and have not received any message as to why it was deleted, so I assume there was an error with the forums or something.

Thanks.

Hi Skillers,

I had the same problem yesterday.  I had a post deleted 5 times.

Please note imjolly.

Best regards,
dfenceman
0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 14

@dfenceman wrote:

@Skillers wrote:

Thanks.

Hi Skillers,

I had the same problem yesterday.  I had a post deleted 5 times.

Please note imjolly.

as I said to you there is nothing I can do about it - I repeat I am a customer just like you.  the mods are looking into it

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 14

I agree with conrad if you cannot maintain stable connection at 6db then post the information requested by john46 and see if forum can help your connection or failing that the mods may help

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 14

Looks like the over active spam filter again causing the problem
0 Ratings
_i
Contributor
Message 9 of 14

Plusnet techs routinely offer to fix the noise margin as you request in their forums, usually to avoid it going up rather than down, but it shows that want you want is available. How you get someone in BT to do it I have no idea!
0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 14

resetting noise margins can be carried out however that is pointless until a connection is stable the underlying problem needs resolving as it will only get worse
0 Ratings