Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 1 of 9

Increased prices?

Go to solution

So i was paying £26 a month for broadband (Broadband and Calls)

I was also paying £7 a month for Unlimited Anytime Calls Add-on.

Prices have gone up and they do not seem to add up, forgive the pun.

Unlimited Anytime Calls Add-on has gone up to £7.45, fair enough.

But my broadband (Broadband and Calls) has gone up to £27.65 ??

My Broadband and Calls package says:

Calling Plan
Unlimited Weekend Calls

Broadband
Unlimited BT Infinity 2

Pretty sure my broadband price on its own is £26 a month so it looks like i am being charged for an add on i dont need?

If i am paying for unlimited anytime calls why does it look like i am being charged for unlimited weekend calls??

Confused right now 🙂
0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 2 of 9

Re: Increased prices?

Go to solution

A quick note, pretty sure my 18 month contract was £20-23 a month for the first few months then upto full price of £26 for the remainder of the contract.

Where in the terms and agreements does it say BT can increase the price agreed in the contract??

Still have 6 months to go of an agreed contract or are contracts really just worthless??

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 3 of 9

Go to solution

@jonwackers wrote:

A quick note, pretty sure my 18 month contract was £20-23 a month for the first few months then upto full price of £26 for the remainder of the contract.

Where in the terms and agreements does it say BT can increase the price agreed in the contract??

Still have 6 months to go of an agreed contract or are contracts really just worthless??

Here:

http://www.productsandservices.bt.com/consumer/terms/

Changing the terms (notification)

1. Sometimes, we will need to change the charges or the terms and conditions of a service covered by this agreement. We will publish details of all changes online at www.bt.com.
  2. We will also let you know about a price increase or a change to the terms and conditions that we believe is likely to cause you material disadvantage at least one month before it happens. We will do this in writing (which may include by letter, email, with your bill or by any other permitted method). We will let you know about other changes to prices and our terms and conditions with your next available bill or by an alternative method if this is simpler.
  3. Sometimes we may need to make changes to our charges or the terms and conditions of a service which are outside of our control – for example to meet legal, regulatory or financial requirements. If we need to make changes for these reasons, we will let you know as soon as we can, but we will not have to meet the timescales detailed in paragraph 55, and you will not be able to end any affected service early without charge.
  4. Except in the circumstances detailed in paragraph 56, if we let you know about a change to the price or the terms and conditions of a service which is to your material disadvantage, and you decide to end that service early, then unless the Tariff Guide says otherwise, you will not have to pay the increased price or any charge for ending that service early. However, once we have told you about such a change, using one of the methods detailed in paragraph 55, you have a limited time to let us know that you want to end that service because of the changes we have made, and give us notice to end that service as set out in paragraph 25 above (normally 30 days). If you started a contract for telephone, broadband or mobile services on or after 23rd January 2014, you will have 30 days to let us know that you want to end the service without paying a charge for ending it early. If you started a contract for telephone, broadband or mobile services before 23rd January 2014 and for all other services (BT TV for example) you will only have 10 days to let us know that you want to end that service. Only the services that are directly affected by the changes we make can be ended without paying a charge for ending those services early and this agreement will continue to apply to any other services that are not affected by those changes.

toekneem

(EASBF)

Highlighted
Contributor
Message 4 of 9

Go to solution

Thank you for finding that info, glad it has been cleared up.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 5 of 9

Go to solution

You should have received a letter, e-mail or both about the recent price rises. This would have outlined the changes and given you the option of cancelling your contract without early termination charges if you wanted to. 

See  http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/46728/~/price-changes-from-1-december-2014

For future reference, although BT can change the prices at any time with the notice outlined in the terms, they generally apply an annual price change. From memory over the last three years they have been in Jan, Jan and Dec. So expect another annual rise around the end of 2015.

Something like BT Sport prices are more likely to change around the start of the football season (Aug). Again you should get plenty of warning by e-mail/letter.  

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 6 of 9

Go to solution

Oh, by the way, your broadband isn't £26 on its own (now £27.65).

That is the price of your 'Broadband and Calls' package that includes Infinity 2 and Unlimited Weekend Calls.

You have also chosen the Unlimited Anytime Calls add-on to extend the free call times.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 9

Go to solution

Why is it if you sign up to BT Infinity 2 package now it's only £25 a month.  BT are just ripping exisitng customers off!

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 8 of 9

Go to solution

@psp888 wrote:

Why is it if you sign up to BT Infinity 2 package now it's only £25 a month.  BT are just ripping exisitng customers off!

That's been discussed a lot on this forum and the only answer is that all ISPs offer a carrot because they can. The government has shown some recent interest in tackling the issue but I wouldn't expect that to last beyond 7 May, by which time we'll all be new customers of a new administration and will discover how quickly politicians' own carrots go rotten.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 9 of 9

Go to solution

@psp888 wrote:

The package on offer is the standard £28 one, they just include an additional £3 discount that lasts for the first 12 months. This offer is only available to new customers as BT, like all providers currently, seem to concentrate much more on gaining new customers than worrying about existing customers leaving. Customer apathy when it comes to changing also encourages this current trend. You can try and negotiate a discounted deal if you are prepared to re-contract on a new minimum term. 

They all generally copy whatever the others are doing and go with the flow. That's probably the safe approach if you study the mathematics of game theory applied to markets. As suggested in the previous post the govt or regulator can also try and push things in certain directions.

Trends do sometimes change over time though. One company risks being different to stand out from the crowd, then others copy them, and that's how trends gradually change. Who knows, a decade from now they might all be concentrating on the best loyalty offers to retain existing customers and it would then be new customers complaining? Think of all the transfer admin costs and hassle they/we would avoid if they all concentrated on retaining customers. Openreach engineers could put their feet up and drink tea all day. Smiley LOL

0 Ratings