Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 1 of 12

Increasingly frustrated by frequent loss of wireless and wired connection

Go to solution

I've had my broadband service from BT for many years and have always found it reliable, until the last couple of months.

The problem is mostly with the wireless connection but on occasion I also experience a problem with the wired connection too. When the connection drops there is no change to the lights on the router (BTHomeHub3).  Plus the router is only a month or so old as when I first reported this problem they replaced my old router.

With my mobile phone (Samsung Galaxy S5) the most annoying part of the problem is that it shows it is still connected to the internet by wifi but if I try to access a webpage it says its not connected, facebook won't refresh etc. My phone is set up to automatically switch to mobile data if there is no wifi connection but this isn't happening as the phone still thinks its connected to wifi.  This means I miss emails/messages etc that are reliant on the internet connection.

My husband likes to watch youtube on his ipod touch but can't watch more than a few minutes before the connection drops (on the ipod it does show that the connection has been lost).  Once the connection has been lost on the ipod it will not reconnect automatically, he has to go through settings to reconnect the device.

With the wired connection, I have problems with this less often but again I find that when the connection drops, webpages won't load but the internet icon in the task bar still shows it as being connected.  A week or two ago when I was trying to report this fault on BT Live Chat the connection was dropping every few minutes and the chat session had to be ended because my messages weren't getting through.

I've gone through all the tests, the quiet line test, plugged the line into the phone test socket, speed test, run the test via BT Desktop Help (when the wireless was set to auto search for a wifi channel it showed that there are 16 wifi networks around us and 4 on the same channel but no other problems).

I have had various phone calls with BT Support, so far all they've done is changed the channel several times which hasn't stopped the problem.

The last phone call was the one that made me angry.  After being told to change the channel again I was advised that if that didn't work I should contact BTExperts and they would send someone out to fix the problem.  Yes I thought, finally something might be done, only to see that to get the BTExperts out would cost me £8.99 a month.  No way am I paying any more to get a problem fixed that BT should be responsible for.

I made a complaint to BTCare on Twitter and they advised that I needed to try every channel until I found one that worked OK, well I have 2 channels left to try, so far none of the channels I've tried have made any difference whatsoever.

There must be something wrong somewhere as this problem only started happening a few months ago.

Any advice/comments greatly appreciated!

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 12

Re: Increasingly frustrated by frequent loss of wireless and wired connection

Go to solution

Try a factory reset of the homehub by pressing a pin into the recess button on the rear for about 20 seconds. This often sorts out problems.

Once you have done that select channel 13 on the Homehub. This is the least used channel and is not used by other routers unless manually selected.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 3 of 12

Go to solution

Thank you for the reply.

I would try the factory reset of the hub if I thought that was the problem, I was experiencing this problem with my old hub, BT replaced that because they thought it was faulty but the new hub they sent didn't make any difference to the problem.

When I was working my way through trying each channel yesterday when I selected channel 13 this message was displayed 'Manually selecting channels 12 or 13 may be incompatible with some wireless devices' so I didn't try that one.  What devices could be incompatible?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 12

Go to solution

It is because channel 13 is not normally used by routers and devices and in particular in the USA. I use that channel and I have yet to come accross one that will not use it.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 5 of 12

Go to solution

Ah OK thanks for that, I'm trying that channel now, will see how it goes 🙂

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 6 of 12

Go to solution

Thank you! Have had a stable wireless connection since switching to channel 13!  Such a simple solution, not sure why BT support didn't get me to try that.  This problem has been going on for over 2 months.

Thank you for taking the time to reply 🙂

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 7 of 12

Go to solution

Snap! I could write an identical message. Not much help to you but after 2 years of trouble free wifi at home on several devices simultaneously, it is now **bleep**. Forgive the expression. My wife is tearing her hair out and I would be too (if I had some!)

Am trying to get bt to supply a new hub as everything else seems ok. Sometimes I get 16mbps, sometimes 4 and frequently I find we have no signal or have been logged on to the open network at the pub next door. What a waste of all the hours trying to log on to bt again or fault checking. Would that we could get cable! Will look to an alternatve provider when our contract is up.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 12

Go to solution

betwixt Have you tried the suggestions above?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 9 of 12

Go to solution

Snap. More specifically loss of internet while still connected to the hub.

Since joining BT in August we have had the same problem with some devices connecting to the hub with good speed but unable to connect to the internet (mostly wireless but sometimes wired), while other devices work without a problem. No real pattern, sometimes a device that was not working starts working and vice-versa, sometimes they all work.

BT swapped a homehub4 it worked for a few days and the problem returned. They sent an engineer who tested for "strong rain" electronic interference, he also tried a businesshub3 and left us with a homehub5, still no improvement. Then he went to the exchange and did a "lift & shift"(re-connect to another port). It worked for a few days  then the problems returned.

Meanwhile technical support confidently adjusted hub settings with no obvious success, including trying other channels!

I have now set our homehub5 2.4ghz to channel 13, the one that says it may not be compatible and hey presto everything has connected. I will keep fingers crossed and monitor.

Question. I have left the 5ghz wireless on auto(smart wireless) currently channel 48. Is there a least used 5ghz channel? should I choose a channel? or do I trust this smart hub?

Thank you mopatop and gg30340

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 12

Go to solution

The 5Ghz is not as congested as the 2.4Ghz so you will probably have no problems leaving it on the smart wireless.

0 Ratings