cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Vaughan
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 51

Incredibly Slow Broadband for 10 days

My problem started about a month ago when I started to lose broadband in the late evening. Almost always went off between 10:30 and 11pm and would stay off for at least 2 hours. At other times it was fine and I got circa 1.2mbs (which is normal here in South Gloucestershire as we are quite a way from the exchange).

After several weeks of this I rang BT helpline and started what has become a long and sorry saga:

Checked and replaced DSL filters

Tried resetting BT Homehub 2

Tried connecting by ethernet cable

Tried changing wireless channels

None of the above made any difference to the drop out problem.

Last week I rang while it was actually down and was taken through stages until we got to the point of connecting via the master socket - faceplate off and connected via the test socket. This worked but the connection has been at the most incredibly slow speeds 0.12mbs/s!! Download speeds were as before (0.38mbs). I've even replaced the master socket and faceplate.

I have rung India dozens of times now and each time they promise a  solution tomorrow but its just empty promises as its never fixed. I've escalated this on more than one occasion and spoken to technical people who make the same promiises although they now accept that there is a fault on the line and are allegedly getting their engineers to look at it - this has been the situation for the last 5 days - getting to the end of my patience and am seriously considering a complaint to Oftel and changing supplier(satellite seems like an option?). I've been promised a rebate - backdated to when I logged the problem on the 23rd May and a vague discussion about additional compensation but frankly I don't want money I want my broadband connection speeds back to where they were.

I've tried the quiet line test (17070) and its fine.

I've tried the BT line tester - same results as speedtest.com

I've tried speedtest.net site many times and the download and upload speeds are consistently stuck at 0.12up and 0.38 down. The ping results vary from 74ms to 102ms

I can only get a connection by using the test socket.

What else can I do?? Getting desperate now. I'm sick and tired of ringing them and being fed empty promises and its really annoying that they never ring back when they say they will so I miss the calls and have to listen to garbled voicemails which I cant understand - result I have to ring again and go through the whole sorry rigmarole again

0 Ratings
50 REPLIES 50
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 51

Re: Incredibly Slow Broadband for 10 days

welcome to the BT community forum where customers help customers

in order for the forum members to help please can you post the adsl stats from your router may need to 'show detail' to get all stats (if hub enter 192.168.1.254 in your browser and navigate to adsl or use a-z, if netgear enter 192.168.0.1) and run btspeedtester (MAC users may have problems) bt speedtester and post the results .

are you connected directly via a filter to the NTE5 master or test socket or to somewhere else? Is the master the only phone socket in your home?

Have you tried the quiet line test? - dial 17070 option 2 - should hear nothing - best done with a corded phone. if cordless phone you may hear a 'dull hum' which is normal

Someone may then be able to offer help/assistance/suggestions to your problem

test socket.jpg

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Vaughan
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 51

I am connected via the test socket on the master socket

There is one other socket in the house but its not being used

I have tried the 17070 line test - all good

Here are the stats from Homehub 2.....

Line stateConnected
Connection time0 days, 1:53:13
Downstream1,952 Kbps
Upstream448 Kbps

ADSL settings
VPI/VCI0/38
TypePPPoA
ModulationITU-T G.992.1
Latency typeInterleaved
Noise margin (Down/Up)6.4 dB / 13.0 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up)63.5 dB / 31.5 dB
Output power (Down/Up)16.8 dBm / 11.9 dBm
Loss of Framing (Local)0
Loss of Signal (Local)0
Loss of Power (Local)0
FEC Errors (Down/Up)4859 / 0
CRC Errors (Down/Up)16 / N/A
HEC Errors (Down/Up)N/A / 0
Error Seconds (Local)13

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 51

stats look ok can your run btspeedtester not beta and post the results please

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Vaughan
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 51

Here are the results of the Btspeedtester.....

Download speedachieved during the test was - 0.11 Mbps
 For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 0.05 Mbps-0.25 Mbps.
 Additional Information:
 Your DSL Connection Rate :1.95 Mbps(DOWN-STREAM), 0.45 Mbps(UP-STREAM)
 IP Profile for your line is - 0.14 Mbps

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 51

the problem is your profile is rock bottom 0.14mb due to all the disconnections/resets.  you now need to stay connected 24/7 for the next 3/5 days and your profile will rise automatically to the correct level which in turn will increase your download speed 

check profile

0 Ratings
Vaughan
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 51

I really appreciate your help so far

When you say connected you mean just the home hub connected right?

I was advised to keep it on early part of last week which I did but it hadn't improved at all by Friday

Anyway I'll keep it on from now on and not attempt any more re-sets

Here's hoping!

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 51

to maintain your best speed and most reliable connection your hub should really remain powered up 24/7 with no manual restarts
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 51

yes just leave the router connected to the internet 24/7 - can switch off pcs - but need 3/5 days constant connection and profile should come back to match your conenction speed as per the chart in the link

Vaughan
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 51

I don't think I'm ever going to get 3 days connection time because (as per my original problem) my broadband connection drops at around 10pm every night - so my connection is broken and I'm back to square one with a low IP Profile that doesn't have enough time to re-set

The only difference now is that is re-connects quite quickly but these stats show its suddenly got a lot slower 

Line stateConnected
Connection time0 days, 0:06:26
Downstream256 Kbps
Upstream448 Kbps

ADSL settings
VPI/VCI0/38
TypePPPoA
ModulationITU-T G.992.1
Latency typeInterleaved
Noise margin (Down/Up)8.2 dB / 12.0 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up)63.5 dB / 31.5 dB
Output power (Down/Up)12.4 dBm / 11.9 dBm

Can anyone reset the IP Profile manually? 

0 Ratings