cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 11 of 51

Re: Incredibly Slow Broadband for 10 days

there is no point in resetting your noise margin as it is a function of connection and as soon as your connection drops like now then your profile will be back where you are just now.  that is the reason why you won't get it reset unless you can show 3+ days stable connection

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Vaughan
Aspiring Contributor
Message 12 of 51

Is the noise margin the same as the IP Profile?  Could the latter be reset?

I don't see how I can ever get this problem sorted if I cannot get 3 days uninterrupted connection??

Several weeks ago my connection would drop each night and then re-establish itself the following day at acceptable speeds - now I'm stuck with a very low IP Profile 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 13 of 51

getting either noise margin or profile reset both need a stable connection first otherwise your line will drop connection as it does just now and then you will be back to where you are now in less than 24hrs

you need to get a stable line but if you are in the test socket, tried new filters and quiet line test is ok then you need to contact the mods for help 

contact mods

can take up to 3 working days for mods to contact you

by doing all the test you are trying to ensure the problem is outwith your home otherwise if you get an engineer callout and problem in your home it could cost £130

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Vaughan
Aspiring Contributor
Message 14 of 51

Well I think they have admitted there was a fault on the line so I'm not going to pay for an engineer!

I've contacted the Mods - thanks for the link

I think my situation is actually worse than it was before because having re-set the hub so many times - on their advice - I've now got a very low IP Profile which can't re-set itself

Prior to raising the problem with BT I would lose connection each night but it would get up to a reasonable speed when it came back after midnight. I'd rather have that!

I guess its the root cause that needs  to be resolved which it seems to me is the connection dropping every night. Until that is fixed I can't have the service I'm paying for (or not as at the moment as they are rebating me for every day its unresolved!)

Maybe I could ask for a new line to be installed?

Thanks for all your help - the explanations on here have been far more helpful that the Indian help line 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 15 of 51

the chance of getting a new line is as the saying goes - snowballs chance in he11

you could also check this post especially if it drops about the same time each night 
http://community.bt.com/t5/BB-in-Home/Poor-Broadband-speed/m-p/14217#M8397

Distinguished Sage
Message 16 of 51

you are on a very long line and noise is a problem as imjolly has posted there is no chance of a new line unless there are any spare pairs in your area the engineer will look at all options if a home visit is done by Openreach
Vaughan
Aspiring Contributor
Message 17 of 51

I'm pretty sure there is nothing untoward going on in my house. The router is where its always been and nothing electrical is near or switching on at the time it drops. Its not street lights either as they are on throughout

What's ironic is that I tried BT FON a few days ago after my connection had dropped at its usual time - sat in my garden, went wireless and got twice the speed I normally do when connected to my router! Only problem is it won't work indoors as that signal is too weak. Could I get a wireless aerial perhaps?

Anyway at the moment the position is that BT have said there is a fault on the line and I'm holding them to that.

0 Ratings
Vaughan
Aspiring Contributor
Message 18 of 51

This from Home Hub just now (1 hour 53 since drop out and reconnection)....

Noise gone up and 209 seconds of error (what does that mean?)

Line stateConnected
Connection time0 days, 1:53:51
Downstream256 Kbps
Upstream448 Kbps

ADSL settings
VPI/VCI0/38
TypePPPoA
ModulationITU-T G.992.1
Latency typeInterleaved
Noise margin (Down/Up)25.7 dB / 12.0 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up)63.5 dB / 31.5 dB
Output power (Down/Up)12.4 dBm / 11.9 dBm
Loss of Framing (Local)5
Loss of Signal (Local)4
Loss of Power (Local)0
FEC Errors (Down/Up)134471 / 13
CRC Errors (Down/Up)1621 / N/A
HEC Errors (Down/Up)N/A / 12
Error Seconds (Local)209
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 19 of 51

you have a very noisy unstable line
0 Ratings
Vaughan
Aspiring Contributor
Message 20 of 51

Have the left the home hub on all night. Speed dropped at around 10pm and then it reconnected almost immediately at 256kbps. At around 3pm (judging from the stats page) it happened again and has reconnected at 160Kbps. Right now it says there is a lot of noise on the line (see below) but when I try the 17070 line test there is no audible crackling or clicking. Line state Connected Connection time 0 days, 5:15:07 Downstream 160 Kbps Upstream 448 Kbps ADSL settings VPI/VCI 0/38 Type PPPoA Modulation ITU-T G.992.1 Latency type Interleaved Noise margin (Down/Up) 27.8 dB / 12.0 dB Line attenuation (Down/Up) 63.5 dB / 31.5 dB Output power (Down/Up) 11.3 dBm / 11.9 dBm At least I have a record of what is happening which may be of some use to the engineers. Is there any point leaving the home hub connected at these speeds?
0 Ratings