cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Art_Nouveau
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 5

Indian and Filipino telesalesmen

For three months I have been on a new BT line with Broadband Option 1 and Anytime Calls. My number is listed in the Phone Book.

Although my number was registered by BT with the Telephone Preference Service as part of the package, I am receiving too many calls from numbers that caller ID shows as "international" or "unavailable". When I answered them they turned out to be Indian or Filipino salesmen, but recently callers have been ending their calls very early before they could be answered. In other words, they appear as nuisance callers. My answering machine is set to answer and record, but so far no-one calling from these numbers has left a message.

Any idea how to stop them?
Art

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Patty-L
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 5

Re: Indian and Filipino telesalesmen

Hello, TPS will not stop international calls.

To see other answers to this problem put TPS into search the community above.

Patty-L
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 3 of 5

@Art_Nouveau wrote:

For three months I have been on a new BT line with Broadband Option 1 and Anytime Calls. My number is listed in the Phone Book.

Although my number was registered by BT with the Telephone Preference Service as part of the package, I am receiving too many calls from numbers that caller ID shows as "international" or "unavailable". When I answered them they turned out to be Indian or Filipino salesmen, but recently callers have been ending their calls very early before they could be answered. In other words, they appear as nuisance callers. My answering machine is set to answer and record, but so far no-one calling from these numbers has left a message.

Any idea how to stop them?
Art

All you can do is what you are doing now, let the calls go through to the answering machine. BT will not/cannot block International calls.

As far as I am aware, the only thing that will stop International calls, either reject some or all of them/send them to an answer machine is the Truecall unit. If you do a google seasrch for the name you should find the company. It's not cheap but it does work.

toekneem

(EASBF)

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Art_Nouveau
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 5

Thank you for your replies.

Other topics do indeed show cold-callers to be a problem. Today I received three calls from "international" or "unavailable" numbers, yesterday I had four. At this date there have been no unwanted calls from UK numbers. I hope this is due to the TPS filter.

I have good reason to be in the Phone Book. It would be a shame to be driven ex-directory (I assume BT will let me out of a Phone Book listing, but I don't know how).

I wonder whether these people might be on some incentive to call more numbers regardless of whether they contact anybody or sell anything!

trueCall looks a useful device and, if it works, I would guess it is worth buying at less than £100. What troubles me is that it requires yet another main socket outlet for its exclusive use. I already have four thus occupied in my living-room where all the telephone gear resides.

People who know me will probably have my mobile number. My cheapest solution was to record a message that asks the caller to contact me on my mobile phone or leave a message, but without telling them the mobile number.

Art

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 5 of 5

@Art_Nouveau wrote:

Thank you for your replies.

Other topics do indeed show cold-callers to be a problem. Today I received three calls from "international" or "unavailable" numbers, yesterday I had four. At this date there have been no unwanted calls from UK numbers. I hope this is due to the TPS filter.

I have good reason to be in the Phone Book. It would be a shame to be driven ex-directory (I assume BT will let me out of a Phone Book listing, but I don't know how).

I wonder whether these people might be on some incentive to call more numbers regardless of whether they contact anybody or sell anything!

trueCall looks a useful device and, if it works, I would guess it is worth buying at less than £100. What troubles me is that it requires yet another main socket outlet for its exclusive use. I already have four thus occupied in my living-room where all the telephone gear resides.

People who know me will probably have my mobile number. My cheapest solution was to record a message that asks the caller to contact me on my mobile phone or leave a message, but without telling them the mobile number.

Art

I do use a Truecall unit myself and find it ideal. It does need a power socket within about 2 metres.

There is a good chance that you could save on some services that you pay for now. You can use it as an answer phone, with the purchase of the record card. it will record both outgoing and incoming calls as you wish.

Since the beginning of November I have had 15 International calls, all have been either rejected or allowed through to an answer machine without bothering me.

toekneem

(EASBF)

0 Ratings