Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 1 of 14

Indoor cabling for BT infinity

Go to solution

I am considering getting BT superfast fibre optic broadband installed.

It appears to me that in addition to my existing Home Hub 3 I will get an openreach modum.

I believe that the openreach modem needs another power source and will come with a power cable and plug.  Somehow this modem connects to the home hub 3. 

I have gone to great time and effort to conceal my existing cabling, which involved very long lengths of cabling. My current set up is close and beside the main phone socket and I do not have any extension cables in my setup.

Despite my very cable trunking being very big it is bulging at the seams with the cabling I currently have.   

Can someone please :-

1) Detail how the new openreach hub is connected up to my Home hub.

2) Advise if I can expect more long lenths of additional cable. (if so can these lengths be shortened, perhaps in the hope I can cram more into my exdisting cable trunking).

I only ask this because I am not keen to litter my hall with additional unsightly cables.

0 Ratings
13 REPLIES 13
Highlighted
Distinguished Expert
Message 2 of 14

Re: Indoor cabling for BT infinity

Go to solution
an ethernet cable connects the two
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 3 of 14

Go to solution

The Ethernet cables BT supplied to me in the past were 3 Metres long.  The additional openreach modem will me right beside my Homehub. Do you know if BT provide short ethernet cables?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 14

Go to solution
do you have a phone socket near to your existing hub? the modem is normally installed near the master socket and a data lead up to 30metres can be used between the modem and the hub or if you have a phone socket near to your existing hub the engineer can convert that socket to become the master
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Guru
Message 5 of 14

Go to solution

The standard privided cable for connecting the modem and router is pretty short:  around 1.5m.  You can replace it with any appropriate cable length you like.  Don't get the modem and router too close because of ventilation: the modem is best wall mounted.

You can get your own combined modem/router; but they come quite pricey;  maybe £150 or so but not sure.  You will get a better router and the ability to check details of your broadband connection that way;  those are not part of the standard setup.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 6 of 14

Go to solution

HomeHub 3 is on a shelf 0.5 mtr above master socket.  Intend to place new openreach modem right beside homehub. Looks like I may have to buy a short ethernet cable to go between hub & modem. 

Am I right in believing that ethernet cable should be cat5e?

Can I just cut modem power cable to shorten ?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Guru
Message 7 of 14

Go to solution
A new length of cable will probably be a pound or so; much easier than trying to cut and shorten. (just saw 0.99p post free on ebay)
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 8 of 14

Go to solution

Went to Harvey Norman today and found that Belkin do a retractable Cat5e networking cable. The cable extends out to any length up to 1.5 meters.  Only need to find out how to shorten or where to buy a Shorter power cable for the new modem. 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 14

Go to solution
the modem power supply has moulded plug on one end and fixed to the power unit
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 10 of 14

Go to solution
If someone can find a easy solution to the maze of cables that are in my living room behind the TV let me know!
HH3, OR modem, cordless phone, TV, sky box, dvd recorder, etc all with electric plugs and cables.
A bit of an eyesore!
Geoff
0 Ratings