Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 9

Inf 2 speed dropped 17Mbps ?acceptable attenuation figures

Hi,

I've had good advice on this forum in the past year so felt I should ask.

I had a problem last October but, after that was fixed, my speeds were acceptable; 67/15. However, I'm now at about 50/10 and recently noticing slow streaming/pauses during iPlayer/netflix etc, especially in the evenings. 

Is it really acceptable for my download speed to drop from 67 to 50 Mbps in 7 months?

Why does this happen? Is it due to an increase in customers using my exchange/cabinet and cross talk or could it be another issue, like an unsatisfactory line?

Can anyone tell from my current HH stats (note: the low 'uptime' as I moved router across room to BT master socket to do all following tests):

1. Product name:BT Home Hub
2. Serial number: 
3. Firmware version:Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.204 (Type A) Last updated 11/01/15
4. Board version:BT Hub 5A
5. DSL uptime:0 days, 01:15:02
6. Data rate:12629 / 53936
7. Maximum data rate:15179 / 64351
8. Noise margin:6.0 / 8.8
9. Line attenuation:23.9 / 18.5
10. Signal attenuation:23.8 / 18.5
11. Data sent/received:146.8 MB / 674.2 MB
12. Broadband username:bthomehub@btbroadband.com

I'm interested in my line and signal attenuation figures. In the past (and on many other posts here) the first part of these figures (is that the upstream?) was always 0.0 but mine is now 24. Is this correct? Seems odd that it was zero and now not.

For completeness:

from dslchecker:

dslcheck.jpg

from BT diagnostics:

btdiag master.jpg

I've tried wholesale speedtest a few times but it refuses to give me the further details, just this:

btwhole2.jpg

I do know that my speeds fall within the (recently) predicted, impacted, ranges from dslchecker but they are signficantly lower:

1. than I was originally predicted a year ago (63/20)

2. than I was predicted and getting about 6 months ago (67/15)

3. that my HH says I should still be able to achieve (64/15)

Any help would be appreciated. I'm wondering whether to change ISP or if it is worth paying for infinity 2, especially if my speed will continue to drop.

If BT had said that you will be paying for 78Mbps but you will only get 63 (when we first install) and then within 6-12 months drop to less than 50 (and the year after ...?) Then maybe I would have been better informed and maybe looked elsewhere.

Thanks,

Paul

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 2 of 9

Re: Inf 2 speed dropped 17Mbps ?acceptable attenuation figures

How are you doing the speedtest? Ethernet or wireless?
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 9

Everything wired.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 9

I'm interested in my line and signal attenuation figures. In the past (and on many other posts here) the first part of these figures (is that the upstream?) was always 0.0 but mine is now 24. Is this correct? Seems odd that it was zero and now not.

yes it is ok a recent hub firmware enabled that into the helpdesk page
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 9

No its not acceptable that you've lost 17mb speed. That's almost a loss of one thrid or put another way, you're paying for two thirds of what you originally got for your money.

Lots of people are experiencing a loss of speed to varying degrees. Ive lost 4 or 5 mb which is annoying but what's the point complaining? You just get told basic checks which any one with a bit of commonsense has already done.

The service will continue to slow as more and more tv is pushed by BT through the network and more and more people sign up.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 9

You have a higher than normal noise margin suggesting a line fault that needs resolving by an engineer visit
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 9

I've discussed with BT via a web chat. Explained how unhappy I am with the speed drop over the past few months. And that my home hub helpdesk suggests a possible line issue.

They did the usual of telling me to use ethernet not wireless and turning off all devices and then the router then getting me to run the same speed speed tests that I've already done.

Anyway. Because the speed is within my predicted range they can't/won't arrange an engineer visit. But said she will escalate the issue to the team above.

Wait and see...

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 9

Another call today from, I assume, the 'second level team.' 

Went through the usual; asking me if I'm using wireless or wired etc then made me run the speed test again. 

Couldn't explain why the 'further diagnostics' bit wouldn't work for me, and hasn't worked at all in the past few days (a google search shows that this happens frequently).

Basically, she said my speed is within the predicted range so no engineer visit would be authorised.

Wasn't interested in me asking about noise margins. Her system showed no fault with line. She suggested it could be wireless devices in house causing problems??

I asked so if there is no fault then why has my speed dropped by so much? Her answer was that the speed is divided up among the people within the same cabinet.

Oh well.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 9

do you have a stable connection as te high noise margin suggests there may be line problems?  the stats you posted initially only showed 1hr connection time

you need a stable connection 24/7 for the DLM to start to reduce your noise margin nearer the norm of 6db

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings