cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Contributor
Message 1 of 13

Infinity 1 Engineer Installation

I'm toying with the idea of switching from ADSL to Infinity 1. My concern is that this appears to now be a self-install process. Currently my master socket is downstairs, and my router (which is wired to a couple of PCs) is connected to a telephone extension socket upstairs. I'd prefer to keep this arrangement.

I assume therefore that I'd need a new extension fitted upstairs? My understanding is that this would be done for free with an engineer install, is that correct? I've read that you can specifically request an engineer install at a cost of £49, but I can't find any mention of this on the BT website. Is this the case, and would it include fitting the extension?

Thanks

0 Ratings
12 REPLIES 12
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 13

Re: Infinity 1 Engineer Installation

If your current arrangement is working ok with ADSL, the chances are it will work fine with Infinity. You might lose a slight amount of speed.

0 Ratings
Contributor
Message 3 of 13

@licquorice wrote:

If your current arrangement is working ok with ADSL, the chances are it will work fine with Infinity. You might lose a slight amount of speed.

I should have added that the cabling for the extension socket is just old-fashioned telephone extension cable, around 20 years old. I was under the impression that that wouldn't be sufficient?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 13

If it is proper cable as opposed to the flat extension reel stuff, it will be fine. The cable from the green cabinet to your house is probably older than that.

0 Ratings
Contributor
Message 5 of 13

@licquorice wrote:

If it is proper cable as opposed to the flat extension reel stuff, it will be fine. The cable from the green cabinet to your house is probably older than that.

Thanks. It appears to be round rather than flat, but I suspect it will be of pretty poor quality (particularly by today's standards).

Going back to my orginal question though. Could I specifically request an engineer install (at a cost of £49???) and get the cable replaced during that visit?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 13

I doubt a new cable will be of any better quality than your existing cable. I'm not sure what the £49 engineer install comprises, hopefully somebody else can answer that, but I don't think it involves re-wiring an extension as that is your responsibility.

0 Ratings
Contributor
Message 7 of 13

@licquorice wrote:

I doubt a new cable will be of any better quality than your existing cable. I'm not sure what the £49 engineer install comprises, hopefully somebody else can answer that, but I don't think it involves re-wiring an extension as that is your responsibility.

Thanks. I was under the impression that there was something called 'Home Wiring Solution' which allowed the engineer (at the time of installation) to install a 'Data Extension Kit':

https://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/37163/~/what-is-a-bt-infinity-data-extension-kit%3F

if required. Which presumably would allow me to have the hub upstairs (in it's present location) rather than downstairs adjacent to the master socket? Or have I misunderstood?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 13

The data extension kit is simply a thin 30 Metre RJ11 to RJ11 cable which you can buy yourself if you wish.

One end is designed to plug into an SSFP

newnte.jpg

And the other end terminates on a RJ11 wall socket within 30 Metres of the master socket.

I am not sure what the current "engineer install" involves, but they used to change any existing master socket for an SSFP, and run the data extension cable to wherever was practical.

You may find that if you want a neater job to hide any cabling, it would be better to run the cable yourself.

If you have a standard master socket like this.

nte.jpg

Then there is an advantage in changing it for a filtered faceplate, provided you are going to run a data extension cable.

A filtered socket will prevent the broadband signal from going up the extension wiring and picking up interference, but you will need the separate data extension cable.

If its all working fine on ADSL, with the maximum speed available, then I would see what speed  you get when you upgrade.

If its not what you expected, then you can change the faceplate yourself, and run your own data extension cable.

A suitable faceplate would be one of these.

LINDY VDSL2 Microfilter Faceplate

LINDY VDSL2 Microfilter Faceplate

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 13

At the risk of repeating myself, I really wouldn't cross any bridges until you get to them. Try your current arrangement and if, as I suspect, it works ok then it has cost you nothing. If there are problems it will be a simple matter to remedy yourself at minimal cost or get a local tradesman in at probably less than the Openraech charge.

0 Ratings
Contributor
Message 10 of 13

@licquorice wrote:

At the risk of repeating myself, I really wouldn't cross any bridges until you get to them. Try your current arrangement and if, as I suspect, it works ok then it has cost you nothing. If there are problems it will be a simple matter to remedy yourself at minimal cost or get a local tradesman in at probably less than the Openraech charge.

OK, fair enough. I guess I was trying to minimise the possibility of me being without an internet connection for any length of time. But, from what you've said, it may work fine and if not it'll most likely just be slow rather than not working at all.

Thanks  very much for your advice, it's much appreciated.

0 Ratings