Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Samphy
Beginner
Message 1 of 5

Infinity 1 Installation questions

Hi all,

I desperately want fibre (and am looking at the Infinity 1 38meg package) but have hit the cancel button 3 times when ordering as I'm concerned about the following issues. Can any of you answer these questions from experience please?

1 - I have a wired set up currently, all my PCs/Macs and printers are plugged into a Netgear router which also has a WAP attached for my tablet/mobile devices. Will having the hub mean that I lose the ability to use all my wired devices across the network/on the internet?

2 - I don't want any BT software on any of my machines. Can I refuse to install it? Or is it necessary?

3 - Is it possible to self-install or do the engineers insist on having access to your PCs?

Any feedback gratefully received, cheers!

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 5

Re: Infinity 1 Installation questions

@Samphy wrote:

Hi all,

I desperately want fibre (and am looking at the Infinity 1 38meg package) but have hit the cancel button 3 times when ordering as I'm concerned about the following issues. Can any of you answer these questions from experience please?

1 - I have a wired set up currently, all my PCs/Macs and printers are plugged into a Netgear router which also has a WAP attached for my tablet/mobile devices. Will having the hub mean that I lose the ability to use all my wired devices across the network/on the internet? Why would you think that. The BT Homehub is a router just the same as any other router and you can connect to its four LAN ports and or by wireless. It just so happens to have a VDSL integrated modem as well. 

2 - I don't want any BT software on any of my machines. Can I refuse to install it? Or is it necessary? You do not need to install any BT software.

3 - Is it possible to self-install or do the engineers insist on having access to your PCs? Virtually all Infinity install are now self install unless BT deem it to be a "problem" install that requires an engineer install. In any event and engineer does not need to access your PC.

Any feedback gratefully received, cheers!

0 Ratings
Samphy
Beginner
Message 3 of 5

Thank you for replying so quickly.

1 - I have a wired set up currently, all my PCs/Macs and printers are plugged into a Netgear router which also has a WAP attached for my tablet/mobile devices. Will having the hub mean that I lose the ability to use all my wired devices across the network/on the internet? Why would you think that...

Browsing through a lot of the help pages, many of them suggest that wireless is the only option and as I couldn't find any mentions re wired I added 2+2 together and got 5 🙂 (http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/9692#pc)

So, as a follow up, this would mean then that my Netgear and WAP box would be defunct as the Hub would do everything?

Thanks again!

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 5

Have a look at the specs of the HH5

http://www.shop.bt.com/products/bt-home-hub-5-068343-90RY.html

Yes your Netgear and WAP would be redundant.

0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 5

0 Ratings