cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
yayatoure
Beginner
Message 1 of 16

Infinity 1 Slowing speeds over time - what can I do within the home?

Short outline on what's been going on:

1. BT customer for years. had Infinity for years.

2. renewed contract a few months ago and was told that speeds in my area have improved, so upgraded to Infinity 1.

3. Told that it would take 10 days for changes to be seen

4. I use a raspberry pi to take a speedtest every hour and record to spreadsheet. I have done this on and off for a yera

5. Over time my speed is decreasing to around 30mbit (the advertised I can get is max 52mbit)

6. contacted BT but they would charge for a call out. They said there is nothing wrong with the connection to my house. No faults etc, and that it must be something to do with the wiring in my house.

7. None of my networking kit or settings have changed over time. I don't use a BT hub.

8. Using mastersocket for connection. It seems strange that I haven't changed anything, but my speeds are dropping. 

9. What can I do to improve my connection (within my house)? I don't want to pay BT over £100 to come out as I feel this is unfair, given that I signed up for another term based on what I was told on the phone.

0 Ratings
15 REPLIES 15
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 16

Re: Infinity 1 Slowing speeds over time - what can I do within the home?

if you have a Homehub 5 can you also post the stats from 1-12 by logging onto the homehub management pages then troubleshooting > helpdesk. http://bthomehub.home/

The stats for the Home Hub 6 can be found on the Information page from http://192.168.1.254 then Advanced Settings -> Technical Log. 
Or the stat from your own router
Can you run this checker and post back a screen shot of the results. Make sure you delete your phone number before posting.

http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome

Can you use this speed tester then carry out the further diagnostics and post back a screen shot of all the results including your IP profile for up and down. This test must be done with a wired connection.
http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/
0 Ratings
pippincp
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 16

As you don't use a Hub I presume the connection stats will be available from the router you are using (providing you are not using a locked openreach modem), so please post them.

Also the rest that @john46 has asked for.

0 Ratings
yayatoure
Beginner
Message 4 of 16

@pippincp I do have an open reach modem... 

What connection stats do I need to share?

@john46 Ok, I will take a look and see if I can find some logs to share.

0 Ratings
pippincp
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 16

If the modem is locked you won't be able to get the stats.

0 Ratings
yayatoure
Beginner
Message 6 of 16

SPEED.PNG

@john46 sorry for the delay

test.PNG

0 Ratings
pippincp
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 16

If you get the same result when connected to the test socket call it in and insist on an engineer.

0 Ratings
yayatoure
Beginner
Message 8 of 16

I think I am already connected to the test socket. BT have offered to send an engineer, but I don't want to pay over £100 if there is something I can do myself.
0 Ratings
NeilO
Message 9 of 16

@yayatoure The test socket it accessed by removing the bottom part of the faceplate as shown below. This connects you directly to the network and bypasses any internal wiring. 

test socket.jpg

0 Ratings
yayatoure
Beginner
Message 10 of 16

I am not sure if I can do this. 

This is what I have (and was installed by BT).

Wire from outside > Faceplate 1 > cable > Faceplate 2 > cable to phone / cable to Open Reach modem

What can I do?

Faceplate1

fp1.jpg

Faceplate2

fp2.jpg

0 Ratings