Short outline on what's been going on:
1. BT customer for years. had Infinity for years.
2. renewed contract a few months ago and was told that speeds in my area have improved, so upgraded to Infinity 1.
3. Told that it would take 10 days for changes to be seen
4. I use a raspberry pi to take a speedtest every hour and record to spreadsheet. I have done this on and off for a yera
5. Over time my speed is decreasing to around 30mbit (the advertised I can get is max 52mbit)
6. contacted BT but they would charge for a call out. They said there is nothing wrong with the connection to my house. No faults etc, and that it must be something to do with the wiring in my house.
7. None of my networking kit or settings have changed over time. I don't use a BT hub.
8. Using mastersocket for connection. It seems strange that I haven't changed anything, but my speeds are dropping.
9. What can I do to improve my connection (within my house)? I don't want to pay BT over £100 to come out as I feel this is unfair, given that I signed up for another term based on what I was told on the phone.
As you don't use a Hub I presume the connection stats will be available from the router you are using (providing you are not using a locked openreach modem), so please post them.
Also the rest that @john46 has asked for.
If the modem is locked you won't be able to get the stats.
If you get the same result when connected to the test socket call it in and insist on an engineer.
I am not sure if I can do this.
This is what I have (and was installed by BT).
Wire from outside > Faceplate 1 > cable > Faceplate 2 > cable to phone / cable to Open Reach modem
What can I do?