Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ButtersStotch26
Beginner
Message 1 of 6

Infinity 1 connection date

Hi,

I'm an existing ADSL broadband customer, and I ordered BT Infinity the moment it became available on our road (2 weeks ago).

Today was supposed to have been my activation date.  I have been checking the order tracker all weekend, and noticed that there was a message on there yesterday that said 'We have yet to receive commitment for your order, so it may be delayed'.  As soon as I read this I Googled it to see that there were others in the same boat so, I read the forums and contacted live help.

I spoke with a person called 'Umesh', and told them all about the message.  I was told:

"Online website will show 'We have not received commitment for the order yet, so it may become delayed' however please ignore this message as this message will sometimes show on new orders for Infinity."

I mentioned that the message seemed to be a regular occurance and that I was concerned that the service wouldn't be activated, so I asked again "So just to confirm you are telling me that tomorrow I will have Infinity", and was told "Yes, you will be upgraded to Infinity tomorrow any time."  So with that I thanked them, and left the chat.

The new Home Hub arrived yesterday, and I had it all plugged in and ready to go.  This morning I wondered when the upgrade would happen, and as nothing had happened by lunchtime, I contacted live help again.

This time I spoke with Kiran, and I asked when I would be swtiched over to Infinity.  This time the reply was:

"Your order is delayed due to the provision of cable link.  Our suppliers have this process in hand, and as yet we have not received a completion date.  The next update will be 25/10." I asked if it would be activated by next Tuesday, and he told me he didn't know.  He couldn't even tell me what the cable provision delay meant!

I got quite angry at this as I felt I was lied to yesterday.  I was told that the information would have been on the account then, and he was sorry I hadn't been told.  I was also really angry at the fact that I had to contact BT to find out what was going on.

I still don't feel as though I know what's happening.  When I ordered it, it was sold to me as 'an engineer has to come out to the street cabinet to switch you over'.  So what is the hold up??! If I had've known about the countless others that seem to be in the same boat (some waiting over 2 months to be activated) I would've gone to Sky.  I'm really hoping now that they don't take my first Infinity payment (£46) if I'm still on ADSL.  Can somebody please help me?

Many thanks,

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Webby
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 6

Re: Infinity 1 connection date

What exchange are you on? Has it just became enabled for fibre?

The cable link is a connection in the exchange from the openreach network to the suppliers (BT wholesale in this case) backhaul network.

It's likely the same issue would be present with Sky as they'd need their own cable line. BT Wholesale seem to usually be one of the first to have the cable line installed.

Your billing shouldn't start until the order is closed so you'll be no worse off.
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
ButtersStotch26
Beginner
Message 3 of 6

Hey Webby,

Thanks for your reply.  🙂

I'm on the Barnsley exchange, as far as I know it's been fibre ready for at least the last two years. Our steet cabinet has only been fibre ready in the last month.

Many thanks.

0 Ratings
Webby
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 6

Unless they've mixed the terminology up I doubt it's a cable link in the sense as I've described it above then.

It could be an issue with the cables connecting the original cab and the new fibre cabinet but that's all usually done before the cabinet is signed off as ready for service.

Perhaps try the online chat for orders again to see if you can eek a little more information from them.

I appreciate it's frustrating but you have a working service and won't be charged for the new service until your Infinity is activated.
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
ButtersStotch26
Beginner
Message 5 of 6

Thanks Webby, I will try them again and see if I can get any more info out of them, but I doubt they will give me any more.  The agent I spoke with earlier didn't seem to have a clue what the cable provision even meant. The one I spoke with yesterday made no mention of there even being a problem and made out it was a mistake that the delay was even showing. Smiley Sad

The ADSL works, but at the minute it's 1.9mbps, which is ridiculously slow. I was so happy thinking we were getting fibre today so this has really upset the apple cart. 😞

0 Ratings
Webby
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 6

Agreed, it's frustrating, but think of the bigger picture. It's small fry really 🙂

Let us know how you get on please and see if there's any further advice we can offer.