cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
se1lad
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 5

Infinity 1 -> 2 regrade - speed / DLM question

I upgraded to Infinity last week on Monday 9th June.  There was a problem when I was putting the order through for Infinity 2, so as per the advice of the order team I ordered Infinity 1 and then upgraded to Infinity 2 once Infinity 1 went live.  

When Infinity 1 was installed it showed my maximum obtainable speed of round 15000/65000 - with a SNR margin of 9.7/14.7  Obviously the speed was limited to 9995/39993 as per Infinity 1 limits.  

The upgrade to Infinity 2 wen through on Friday 13th June.  Same day my SNR margin reduced to 6.2/6.3, and my actual speed increased to match my previously reported obtainable speed.  However,  I thought my obtainable speed would increase as the noise margin had lowered.  So far I have not seen a corresponding speed increase.  Is it possible that the DLM has not worked correctly, as it was already evaluating my Infinity 1 connection, and then part way through the training period I upgraded to Infinity 2?

My current stats are as follows:

1. Product name:BT Home Hub
2. Serial number: 
3. Firmware version:Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.173.1.6 (Type A) Last updated 06/06/14
4. Board version:BT Hub 5A
5. VDSL uptime:1 days, 10:07:00
6. Data rate:15564 / 64545
7. Maximum data rate:15789 / 65409
8. Noise margin:6.2 / 6.3
9. Line attenuation:0.0 / 18.7
10. Signal attenuation:0.0 / 18.4

If I run the availability checker against my phone number it suggests I may be able to obtain a faster speed.  Even If I am on Range B, I am getting a lower upload speed than the bottom end of the range.

BT BROADBAND AVAILABILITY CHECKER
Telephone Number xxxxxxxx on Exchange SOUTHWARK is served by Cabinet 42

Featured ProductsDownstream Line Rate(Mbps)Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)Downstream Range(Mbps)Availability Date  High Low High Low    
FTTC Range A (Clean)8069.32019.9--Available
FTTC Range B (Impacted)8055.92017.9--Available

WBC ADSL 2+Up to 8--5.5 to 12.5Available
WBC ADSL 2+ Annex MUp to 8Up to 15.5 to 12.5Available
ADSL MaxUp to 5.5--4.5 to 8Available
WBC Fixed Rate2----Available
Fixed Rate2----Available
Other Offerings
Fibre Multicast------Available
Copper Multicast------Available

Not sure if it is relevant, but when I run the BT Wholesale speed test, I am not able to view my IP profile.

Thanks in advance for any help or advice you are able to provide!

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 5

Re: Infinity 1 -> 2 regrade - speed / DLM question

So you're getting what was your max attainable rate when you were on Infinity 1. Looks like that was correct then.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
If you found this post helpful, please click on the star on the left
If not, I'll try again 🙂
0 Ratings
Highlighted
se1lad
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 5

Hi Ray,

Thanks for the reply - however as they reduced my Noise Margain, should that have allowed my obtainable speed to go up?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 5

Your noise margin is still above the target of 6, so you're probably still in the training period. Things may change in a few days.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
If you found this post helpful, please click on the star on the left
If not, I'll try again 🙂
0 Ratings
se1lad
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 5

My Noise Margain has now dropped to 6/6 but no increase in speed.  Managed to get through to tier 2 support and they said they have reset the IP Profile for me and it will take 1-2 days to stabilise.

Just want to check - can Tier 2 support do this - I thought it was only OpenReach engineers?  If they can do it then great - I just want to make sure I have not been fobbed off!

0 Ratings