Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 1 of 7

Infinity 1 low upload speed

Go to solution

Hi Folks, Recently signed up for new Infinity 1 broadband contract and was told that my download speed would be ( up to) 38mbps and my upload speed would be (up to) 9.8mbps.  The declared increase in upload speed is contained in the email sent by BT sales team (23rd April) to confirm the new contract. After waiting a few days to allow the link to 'stabilize' I tried the BT speed test to verify that I was getting what I am paying for. Unfortunately this is not the case. The download speed is around 21mbps and the upload 1.6mbps when using a WiFi link from the HH3. If I use an ethernet connection the download is around 39mbps and upload is still rooted to 1.6mbps.  I have contacted the 08001114567 "help" line three times and jumped though all the hoops they have insisted I must jump through, but the problem remains. I am losing the will to live when dealing with the infinitely polite but terminally useless staff in India. After doing everything they asked with no improvement, they have switched to telling me that the upload speed doesn't matter and they can't do anything about it anyway. It is clear from our discussions that nobody in India knows how the hybrid Infinity fibre/copper links work. They insist that if their diagnostics cannot detect a problem then there is no problem and refuse to escalate it. They have clearly been instructed not to pass any problems which might involve an engineer visiting the installation.

So, here I am pleading for help from others who may have a similar problem. Any suggestions gratefully received.

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 7

Re: Infinity 1 low upload speed

Go to solution

Can you run this checker and post back a screen shot of the results

http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome

and use this speed tester then carry out the further diagnostics and post back a screen shot of all the results including your IP profile for up and down. This test must be done with a wired connection.

http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/

Highlighted
Beginner
Message 3 of 7

Go to solution

Thanks for helping. 

1. Results from first test:

Telephone Number xxxxxxxxxxx on Exchange PINNER is served by Cabinet 73

Featured ProductsDownstream Line Rate(Mbps)Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)Downstream Range(Mbps)Availability Date  High Low High Low    

FTTC Range A (Clean) 65 47.8 19.2 12.7 -- Available
FTTC Range B (Impacted) 55 31.2 19.2 8.7 -- Available

WBC ADSL 2+ Up to 1 -- 0.25 to 2 Available
ADSL Max Up to 1 -- 0.25 to 2 Available
WBC Fixed Rate 1 -- -- Available
Fixed Rate 1 -- -- Available
Other Offerings
FTTP on Demand 330 30 -- Available
Fibre Multicast -- -- -- Available
Copper Multicast -- -- -- Available

2. I will post the Speedtest results tomorrow after setting up the ethernet link to the HH3 again.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 4 of 7

Go to solution

Apologies for breach of rules about personal data. Results of Speedtest using wired connection to HH3 as followes:

BT Wholesale Broadband Performance Test

Download speed  41.33 Mbps

Upload speed  1.43 Mbps

Ping Latency  22.13 ms

Additional Diagnostic test results:

Home Image not loadedTesting Image not loadedResult Image not loaded

FAQ

Results Image not loaded

1. Best Effort Test:  -provides background information.

Download Speed
 40.8 Mbps

0 Mbps38.72 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed

Download speedachieved during the test was - 40.8 Mbps
 For your connection, the acceptable range of speedsis 20 Mbps-38.72 Mbps .
 Additional Information:
 IP Profile for your line is - 38.72 Mbps

2. Upstream Test:  -provides background information.

Upload Speed
 1.66 Mbps

0 Mbps10 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed

Upload speed achieved during the test was - 1.66Mbps
 Additional Information:
 Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 10 Mbps

We were unable to identify any performance problem with your service at this time.
It is possible that any problem you are currently, or had previously experienced may have been caused by traffic congestion on the Internet or by the server you were accessing responding slowly.
If you continue to encounter a problem with a specific server, please contact the administrator of that server in the first instance.

Please visit the FAQ if you are unable to understand the test results.

Apologies for the rather odd format. I'm using an old iMac G5 with Safari 4.1.3.

The upload speed stays the same with either WiFi or wired connection to the HH3. The download speed drops to around 20 Mbps on a WiFi configuration.

I hope I have provided all the info you asked for. Let me know if you need anything else.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 7

Go to solution

You are obviously getting good download speeds, infact you would appear to be getting in excess of both your estimate and what Infinity 1 should deliver which is 38Mbps. Clearly your upload speed is very poor and outside your estimate.

Unfortunately most ISPs are not interested in upload speed and will rarely do anything about it hence the Customer Services stance.

The moderators of the forum have been informed of your problem. Once they have read this they may be able to help. They are a BT UK based team and if they can help they will reply via this thread asking you to contact them via a link. Once you have replied to them by the link, it can at present take up to three working days for them to re-contact you.

Highlighted
Message 6 of 7

Go to solution

Hey clifford1942,

Thanks for posting back!

Apologies for the problems you're having with your upload speed.  I'm happy to help check this out from here.  Click on my username and under the "about me" section you'll see the link to get in touch with us.

Please include the link to this thread when you complete the form and whenever we've received your details we'll take it from there.

Thanks a million,

Robbie

Highlighted
Beginner
Message 7 of 7

Go to solution

On previous call to 08001114567, it was suggested that the HH3 might be the problem and a replacement would be sent. This arrived yesterday and I installed it in place of the original unit. The subsequent BT speed test results showed no improvement in upload speed with this new unit. However, I then reset the modem and waited for the blue broadband light on the HH3 to stabilize, which took around ten minutes. Running the speed test now showed a fourfold increase in upload speed to over 7 Mbps and a download speed of over 38 Mbps. I have repeated the speed test many times over the past 24 hrs with both wired and WiFi connections to the HH3, and each time has shown greatly improved upload speeds. It would appear that the original HH3 was the cause of the poor upload bit rate.

0 Ratings