Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
TorchLight
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 49

Infinity 1 not activated

Go to solution

Hi,

Joining BT have been nothing but trouble..!!

Registered for Infinity 1 on the 16/3 but my ordered was cancelled. I was not informed of this cancellation and when I query on the online chat, they insisted that there is no problem with my order.

So on my activation dated, 30/3, my previous ISP disconnect me and I waited for the BT account to go online...  You guessed it.. I was left without internet.

And so like a fool, I rang up BT, and was told to order again and I agree on the fact that the can get me reconnected by mid week next week.. You guessed it.. no such luck..

Made a phone query on Wednesday and found out I will be activated on the 10th. OK, I can accept that. I further query if I am still legible for the BT Cash Reward..  You guessed it.. He said it is only for online ordering., and told me I should cancel this order and re-order online... I told him to cancel my order and I will find another provider, and after a bit he reply by informing me that his colleague has told him he can provide the cash reward and will post me the code 2 days after my activation.. OK, I can accept that, but I have doubts they keep their words.

I then asked if BT going charge me for phone line re-connection and about my bb activation fee as I will not be able to pay a substantial fee without prior knowledge and I don't want my bank to charge me for overdraft. All he can say was he cannot see any charges so I insisted he triple check. He came back after seeing the manager and inform me they have credit my account for the bb activation fee.. YAY, for the 1st time. But Im still wary that I will be charged for the phone line re-connection.

On the 10th, my phone was activated around 3pm, and now.. You guessed it.. I still do not have broadband.

Going into my BT page, my order is still 'open' but my services is activated.. Go into the router, there is no sync. Visit BT Availability checker and it is availiable.

Why did I signed up for BT????

Can someone help me please.

0 Ratings
48 REPLIES 48
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 49

Re: Infinity 1 not activated

Go to solution

Welcome to this user forum. @TorchLight

I am just a customer but this information may be of help.

The broadband task cannot be issued until there is a working phone line, as the phone line is needed during the broadband commissioning test. Once the phone is working, then it can be up to 10 days before the broadband task is issued to Openreach, depending on how busy they are.

In your case, the broadband task will be in the queue, now your phone is working.

You will be notified when your service has been fully activated.

Which provider did you move from?

0 Ratings
TorchLight
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 49

Go to solution

Hi Keith_Beddoe,

My previous Isp was Sky BB. If what you said is true, then why did they say my fibre will be activated on the same day? They knew I do not have a phone line when I re-order.

Is there anyway they can speed up this process and if so, who can I talk to.

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 49

Go to solution

@TorchLight

Sky are an LLU (Local Line Unbundling) provider. They simply rent the copper line from Openreach, and connect their own equipment to it.

When you leave Sky, the line is released back to Openreach, and the Sky equipment is disconnected.

The line would then be free for Openreach to provide service for BT Retail.

Unfortunately changing from an LLU provider, to one which uses the BT Wholesale network, can take longer, as extra work is needed, especially if you wanted to keep your number.

Now your phone is active with BT Retail,  broadband should follow a few days later.

You can check that your phone line is now with BT Retail, by dialling 150.

If you ordered BT Infinity, then an Openreach Field Technician has to visit the street cabinet to connect your line through the fibre cabinet. This task will now be in the Openreach queue, along with all the other tasks raised by Service Providers. BT Retail do not get any priority.

There is nothing that can be done to speed things up.

Just leave the BT Home hub connected up as shown in the instructions.

Did you ask to keep your existing phone number?

0 Ratings
TorchLight
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 49

Go to solution

Hi Keith,

I have not asked to keep my number as I am only concerned with BB. After the re-order, my number was changed, annoying but not important as my work only requires internet access.

Thank you for taking your time with me.

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 49

Go to solution

@TorchLight wrote:

Hi Keith,

I have not asked to keep my number as I am only concerned with BB. After the re-order, my number was changed, annoying but not important as my work only requires internet access.

Thank you for taking your time with me.

In that case, I would expect activation to take place fairly soon.

Work cannot be carried out at the cabinet to provide broadband, until the phone line is working with a BT Retail phone number, as this is needed as part of the commissioning process that the Openreach Field Technician has to do at the cabinet, to complete the broadband task.

I would still keep a phone plugged in, as its essential to maintain a reliable broadband connection, and is needed should you ever have a fault.

Did you dial 150 to make sure you get the BT welcome announcement?

BT Infinity (VDSL) services rely on correct internal wiring to get a fast reliable connection, so while you are waiting for activation, it would be worth checking how things are connected up.

If you would like help with this, please ask.

0 Ratings
Webby
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 49

Go to solution
LLU or not, it makes no difference with regards to activation date, especially for FTTC as all the ports are in the same cab.
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 49

Go to solution

@Webby

The move is from LLU ADSL to BT Infinity, so no fibre connections exist.

The LLU equipment has to be ceased in the exchange first, and the line moved to an EN number in the exchange. If there is no number port, then the EN is activated with a BT Retail number. If a number port is needed, then that is usually what holds thing up.

Once these frames tasks have been done, then the task to do the work at the cabinet is issued.

0 Ratings
TorchLight
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 49

Go to solution

Hi Keith,

I did checked 150 and 14707 on the phone. So no problem there, but rather disappoint that Openreach will not be fitting a vdsl filter/faceplate for my line. And since Im quite close to the cabinet, i believe an ADSL filter should do the work hopefully and provide a decent speed.

Is there anyway to find out when I can get an activation?

Hi Webby,

According to Keith, its because my phone got disconnnected that caused all this mess. I just dont understand why BT screw-up a simple order.

My biggest worry now is that they wont charge me for the re-connection fee, as I have lost all confindence with them now.

0 Ratings
Webby
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 49

Go to solution
Still, it shouldn't make any difference. Openreach know when the CAD date is and should make provisions to have the service ready for that date.

A standard DSL microfilter will do the job just as well as a filtered face plate.
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings