Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 111 of 322

Re: Infinity 1 speed cap increase

@embattle wrote:

Still seems silly for it not to be automatic to everyone with Infinity 1.

maybe everyone does not want to be recontracted for another year 

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 112 of 322

@StevenNT wrote:

I tried to call today and to try and downgrade, but I'm in a contract and have to wait untill October at the earliest to downagrade acording to the guy on the phone.

Was he correct in saying this? My line at best only does 53/13 to 55/14 so now that Infinity 1 is 52/10 staying on Infinity 2 no longer makes sense paying exrea for.

you are currently in a fixed term contract and if you break contract by downgrading you could have cancellation charges for downgrading

I can totally understand where you are coming from though and no thought has been given to customers in your position who selected infinity2 to get extra 12mb speed but now could go to infinity 1 and get virtually same speed

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Webby
Distinguished Sage
Message 113 of 322

If you bought a BMW tomorrow with 140bhp and in 6 months they brought out a revised version with a tweaked engine that had 160bhp, would youe expect them to upgrade your car or change it for free? Probably not.
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
umpire
Distinguished Guru
Message 114 of 322

@markm9

The BT web site has always been pants when it comes to reporting the speeds. I've been on 40Mbps Infinity 1 before with the BT site telling me that I currently get 79-80Mbps. Whoever maintains the web site code needs talking to. 🙂

Basically it is just telling you the BT Wholesale fibre sync speed estimates for your line and a guaranteed sync speed they calculate from that and the performance of other similar lines. So if you upgrade to Infinity 1 (55/10) or Infinity 2 (80/20). That's what you should expect as a downstream modem sync rate. The advertised speeds are always a bit lower (38, 52, 76) for certain regulatory and technical reasons I won't bother going into here.
0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 115 of 322

0 Ratings
embattle
Contributor
Message 116 of 322

I never said anything about being required to recontract.

Also someone comparing this to buying a car is being very silly since they are utterly different. The simple fact is that in the past decades the boosting of a speed on broadband didn't used to only be applied to new subscribers on the same product.

0 Ratings
umpire
Distinguished Guru
Message 117 of 322

Obviously if the estimate for your line is 51 - 67 and you upgrade to the Infinity 1 55/10 service then it won't be able to sync at any higher than 55.

On Infinity 2 80/20 it could sync at the estimate high of 67.
0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 118 of 322

@embattle wrote:

I never said anything about being required to recontract.

Also someone comparing this to buying a car is being very silly since they are utterly different. The simple fact is that in the past decades the boosting of a speed on broadband didn't used to only be applied to new subscribers on the same product.

As per message 61 of this thread

"BT Infinity option 1 is now offering speeds of up to 52MB, that's up from 38MB.  This will not cost anything extra but for the moment customers need to call in to place an upgrade order. While this will not cost anything more per month, customer will need to agree to a new 12 month contract".

0 Ratings
umpire
Distinguished Guru
Message 119 of 322

Markm9,

Though if you take a more pessimistic view....

You might only sync at 51 on Infinity 1 55/10 and hence the same 51 on Infinity 2 80/20. Also anything of 40 or above is actually all that BT guarantee for your line so you might even sync at less than 51 if the estimates are a bit out.

The only way to really find out is to upgrade.
0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 120 of 322

Just upgraded with 2 months to go on existing contract. Got a new 12 month contract at less than the old price!!!