Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
umpire
Distinguished Guru
Message 121 of 322

Re: Infinity 1 speed cap increase

@embattle

BT have just recently increased the full price of Infinity 1 packages on new contracts. For example Unlimited Infinity 1 + Unlimited Weekend Calls has gone up from £25 to £26. This will probably be to cover the extra cost of the new 55/10 service compared to the 40/10 service.

Don't forget that BT Consumer have to pay Ooenreach for these services via BT Wholesale and pay the same rates as all other ISP's are offered.

If they upgraded all Infinity 1 customers without any change to their existing contracts it would cost a fair bit of money in total. Would be good PR of course!
0 Ratings
embattle
Contributor
Message 122 of 322

@gg30340 wrote:

@embattle wrote:

I never said anything about being required to recontract.

Also someone comparing this to buying a car is being very silly since they are utterly different. The simple fact is that in the past decades the boosting of a speed on broadband didn't used to only be applied to new subscribers on the same product.

As per message 61 of this thread

"BT Infinity option 1 is now offering speeds of up to 52MB, that's up from 38MB.  This will not cost anything extra but for the moment customers need to call in to place an upgrade order. While this will not cost anything more per month, customer will need to agree to a new 12 month contract".

AGAIN...it was nothing to do with what I was saying, I was saying how it should be since it has often been like that in past not how you can actually do it.

0 Ratings
embattle
Contributor
Message 123 of 322

@umpire wrote:
@embattle

BT have just recently increased the full price of Infinity 1 packages on new contracts. For example Unlimited Infinity 1 + Unlimited Weekend Calls has gone up from £25 to £26. This will probably be to cover the extra cost of the new 55/10 service compared to the 40/10 service.

Don't forget that BT Consumer have to pay Ooenreach for these services via BT Wholesale and pay the same rates as all other ISP's are offered.

If they upgraded all Infinity 1 customers without any change to their existing contracts it would cost a fair bit of money in total. Would be good PR of course!

Perhaps although I suspect once others follow suit we might see some sort of change in how they actually do it.

0 Ratings
umpire
Distinguished Guru
Message 124 of 322

Though note that Unlimited Infinity 2 + Unlimited Weekend Calls has also increased from £30 to £32.50.

That's to cover the additional cost of ........ errrr ........ the CEO's new yacht.
0 Ratings
andyhudson1979
Contributor
Message 125 of 322

Do you have to reboot the router for the new speed to sync or does it happen automatically?
0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 126 of 322

The upgrade will trigger a re-sync, no need to re-boot.

0 Ratings
umpire
Distinguished Guru
Message 127 of 322

For anyone currently on Infinity 1 40/10 and using a HH5 I would suggest looking at the HomeHub stats in

bthomehub.home > Troubleshooting > Helpdesk

The line 7 'max data rate' will show you what the modem thinks it can potentially sync at given your current line condition. That should be more accurate than the other estimated range from the web.

If the downstream max data rate is consistently well above 55000 then you should sync at the top speed if placed on the 55/10 service.
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 128 of 322

@embattle wrote:

@gg30340 wrote:

@embattle wrote:

Also someone comparing this to buying a car is being very silly since they are utterly different. The simple fact is that in the past decades the boosting of a speed on broadband didn't used to only be applied to new subscribers on the same product.

As per message 61 of this thread

"BT Infinity option 1 is now offering speeds of up to 52MB, that's up from 38MB.  This will not cost anything extra but for the moment customers need to call in to place an upgrade order. While this will not cost anything more per month, customer will need to agree to a new 12 month contract".

AGAIN...it was nothing to do with what I was saying, I was saying how it should be since it has often been like that in past not how you can actually do it.

I was highlighting were "for the moment" which would imply it may change in the future!

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 129 of 322

@embattle  See messages 88-92

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 130 of 322

@embattle wrote:

it is currently a BT condition that to get the free upgrade you need to agree a new 12 month contract so you cannot upgrade everyone automatically as long as that is BT's condition for the upgrade

that may change but at present that is the current requirement

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings