Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cobra7
Aspiring Expert
Message 1 of 12

Infinity 1 speed drop

Go to solution

Hi guys as know  from my previous posts my download speed for the past 11 months was 36mb and upload was 7.5  then four weeks ago my speed dropped to 31mb download 6mb upload..my noise margin jumped up to 9....i think my download data rate got stuck..because for 4 weeks it stayed at 32.478mb...i rang bt over a dozen times..they kept telling me my speed is still above there guaranteed speed of 23mb..(which by the way was 27mb last year ) strange...anyway..last week..i noticed some evenings my speed was dropping as low as 17mb ...our bt tv kept getting errors...so i did another check before i rang bt..my download speed was now only 29mb a further 2mb drop...i rang bt the guy did a few line checks..he said its telling him there is now a problem with my line..so i can have a engineer this week...a boost engineer he said..who i know deal with the internet side of things..anyway..i woke up this morning..my speed has dropped again now only 25mb and noise margin is 10.8db never seen it that high before....i have 2 upstairs phone extensions connected to downstairs mk3 faceplate..i eks the bottom half (phone extension ) for 2 weeks...nothing chst yearanged..so i think my internal wiring is fine...last year a new phone line was fitted....if i go on bt wholesale site it says my speed is only 20mb but other sites say 27mb...i told guy on phone ive had enough o dont now...my speeds are now under your guaranteed lowest speed....told him i wont be paying either..so dont try blaming my  internal wiring....so guys please give me your advice thoughts on were methink the problem is..and do u think same as me i need a dlm reset ? my ip profile..was 20 to 38...its now 20 to 30 

4. Board version:BT Hub 5A
5. DSL uptime:0 days, 10:03:06
6. Data rate:7363 / 31008
7. Maximum data rate:9030 / 41979
8. Noise margin:6.0 / 10.8
9. Line attenuation:38.7 / 24.5
10. Signal attenuation:

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
cobra7
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 12

Re: Infinity 1 speed drop

Go to solution

i disconnected the upstairs extensions for 2 weeks..nothing changed..so i think internal wiring is fine

0 Ratings
cobra7
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 12

Go to solution

DSL Checker says max 40 min 29   

imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 12

Go to solution

you have a connection speed of 31mb which is above the guaranteed speed - remember the guaranteed speed is not a download speed but a connection speed so results from btspeedtester are immaterial

if you can get noise margin dowmn to normal 6db then your conenction speed will move closer to attainable speed

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
cobra7
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 12

Go to solution

hi im jolly  any ideas then why my noise margin is so high 10.8db ?  and more important..how do i get it to go lower ? i have a brand new hh5 no change...what will the engineer do when he comes here ? bt guy said there  was a problem on my line..my hh5 re boots every 2 days..has done for a while

0 Ratings
umpire
Distinguished Guru
Message 6 of 12

Go to solution

If there is an issue that has caused the DLM to drop your speed and increase your noise margin (the two are linked) then unless the issue has been fixed or gone away of its own accord then a DLM reset wouldn't really achieve much. It might increase your speed for a few days until the DLM quite sensibly decides to take action again because the underlying problem is still present.

If the engineer finds a fault and fixes it then he will normally request a DLM reset. It makes sense to request it then if a fix has been applied, rather than having to wait for the DLM to automatically recover after a few weeks of issue free connections. 

0 Ratings
brads27
Contributor
Message 7 of 12

Go to solution

I thought guarnteed speed was 40meg

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 12

Go to solution

It is not the same for everybody. When you sign up to BT they give you a minimum guaranteed connection speed for your own line.

0 Ratings
umpire
Distinguished Guru
Message 9 of 12

Go to solution
40Mbps is the maximum connection speed on Infinity 1 40/10.
The guaranteed minimum connection speed is line specific as gg30340 says. It's normally on the order confirmation.
0 Ratings
cobra7
Aspiring Expert
Message 10 of 12

Go to solution

hi engineer has been..he rekons a wire was loose at the green cabinet..not sure if he did a dlm reset ? but here are my current stats...bear in mind..for 11 months i downloaded at 35.7mb....but as u know the day engineer got here my speed had dropped to 26mb..tonite im downloading at 33.5mb...he said  my speed might improve over next few days..im not so sure..look at my noise margin its been less than 2 days since he was here and my noise margin is 5.6db...opinions of my new stats would be appreciated.

4. Board version:BT Hub 5A
5. DSL uptime:1 days, 11:36:52
6. Data rate:9020 / 36001
7. Maximum data rate:9020 / 41025
8. Noise margin:5.8 / 5.6
9. Line attenuation:27.0 / 24.6
10. Signal attenuation:27.2 / 22.2

0 Ratings