Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 8

Infinity 1 speed limited to 32.40 Mbps with high noise margin

Go to solution

Hi All,

I have had Infinity 1 for many years now, and always enjoyed a reliable connection speed of 39-40 Mbps. Back in April 2017 I had a line fault, duly repaired by the engineer. The Smart Hub re-connected at 32.4Mbps with a noise margin of 9.8dB and an indicated maximum speed of 8000/39500. The engineer offered to reset the exchange equipment, but I declined the offer as I was happy to wait for the equipment to sort itself out as it had such a good noise margin. Several weeks later, and a few automatic re-starts and still no change to the 32.4 connection speed. Indicated maximums always about 8000/40000 and noise margin always around 9.5dB. Eventually I got in touch with BT and asked them to get the exchange end reset so it could sort itself out, which the said they would. Another few weeks of patiently waiting and STILL that magic 32.40Mbps figure in the connection speed. Never more, never less, never changing. The upload speed moves around a small amount, the maximum data rate hovers around 39500, but it will not connect at any other speed but 32.40. So I contacted BT again, and still the same old story... my connection is good enough, so tough, but I eventually managed to get them to agree to "refresh" the exchange end. More weeks pass and STILL 32.40Mbps. In desperation, and fed up with watching this never changing speed, I connected the hub via a long extension lead and an ADSL filter... HOORAY I got 6.02/21.05Mbps and a noise margin of 6.3dB. It was great to see the hub finally connected with something other than 32.40! However, after leaving it for a while connected this way, I plugged the hub back into the master socket, and what do you think???

Data rate: 7.90 Mbps / 32.40 Mbps
Maximum data rate: 7900 / 39465
Noise margin: 6 dB / 9.3 dB

What is going on here? Am I alone in thinking this is odd? Why do I reach this ceiling of 32.40Mbps and then all I get after that is a better noise margin (woo-hoo)?

At one point I even put the old Hub 5 back while I was away for a couple of weeks but when I got back it was still 32.40.

If I run the speed tester - unsurprisingly - where I used to see around 40Mbps, I now see around 32Mbps.

Anyone out there who can shed some light on this infuriating problem? BT won't take it seriously as my speed is "acceptable". I am certain there is an issue somewhere locking my maximum speed.

Any help would be really appreciated. JV.

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 8

Re: Infinity 1 speed limited to 32.40 Mbps with high noise margin

Go to solution
Banded profile due to line instability.

You should have let the engineer reset DLM.
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 8

Go to solution

Thanks for the quick reply. With hindsight I agree! Unfortunately the offer was reset now or wait up to 10 days. I was conned! Do the helpdesk agents not know about this "banded profile"? Should they be able to organise a reset with the information they have been given. How can I progress this? Any ideas?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 8

Go to solution

A DLM reset can only be performed after an engineer has visited and has positively cleared a fault. It cannot be reset remotely by the helpdesk.

In theory, if your line remains stable DLM will relent and remove the banding. This can take several weeks/months.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Sage
Message 5 of 8

Go to solution

I fail to see how you were conned. You were offered a reset but declined it. There was no con there.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 8

Go to solution

I fail to see how your comment is useful or helpful in any way.

I was offered this option... a reset, OR I could "WAIT UP TO 10 DAYS FOR IT TO SORT ITSELF OUT". I don't consider 5 months "up to 10 days".

I hope that clears up your confusion.

Helpful advice only please.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 8

Go to solution

Anyone reading this may want to check this possible fix out.

After doing this on my line I am now at over 24 days on 45Mbps and 3dB noise margin.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Sage
Message 8 of 8

Go to solution
It still doesn't deviate from the option for a manual reset isn't preferred to an automatic one. No con at all!
0 Ratings