cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
purkissa2
Beginner
Message 1 of 14

Infinity 1 vs Infinity 2

I have just transferred to Plusnet which of course is another arm of BT, as they are the only ones capable of providing a sensible billing system and prices. However, that is not the subject of my question but has caused me to ask it.

The discussion with plusnet went something like you can only have up to 38 meg broadband package as higher speed is not supported on your line.

How is it then I have been sold and paying for BT Infinity 2 for the last 3 years. I was originally told that to get maximum speed I would need infinity 2 (VDSL2) as Infinity 1 (VDSL1 I assumed) would not provide the best speed hence I went with it. I have had a mostly reliable service at around 20-24Meg.

Today I have transferred to Plusnet (Infinity 1 equivalent) and have 22meg! What then have I been paying an extra £6 a month for. On reading around it seems Infinity 1 is Infinity 2 capped at 32 meg and not linked to the VDSL version. It appears therefore I have been given Infinity 1 and charged for Infinity 2 with absoloutely no advantage to me at all.

The Infinity 2 contract was renewed and no one made any comments concerning suitability. Secondly I recently investigated the possibility of downgrading with BT only to be told my speed would drop by 5 to 6 meg! If the above is correct then this is a misundestanding (at the least) by the helpdesk operative.

Having raised the question with BT senior execs complaints dept with whom I have had past dealings I was told Infinity 2 also has other benefits, non of which I use.

Can someone please confirm as to whether my technical assumptions are correct before I take the matter further.

Ade

0 Ratings
13 REPLIES 13
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 14

Re: Infinity 1 vs Infinity 2

As this forum is for BT Retail customers only. You would be better asking on the Plusnet user forum.

Plusnet forum - Index | Community Site

Plusnet is a totally different ISP.

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 14

Infinity 1 and Infinity 2 are effectively the same product except Infinity1 is artificially capped at 38/10. If your line is incapable of exceeding those rates, you would get the same speed regardless of which option you were on. Changing from Infinity 2 to Infinity 1 would only drop your speed if it was in excess of 38/10.

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 14

Infinity 1 and Infinity 2 are the same product. Both are VDSL2. The only difference is that Infinity 1 is capped at a download speed of 38Mbps and upload of 10Mbps while Infiity 2 is capped at 78Mbps download with 20Mbps upload.

This does not mean that you will get those speeds. You would only be able to get the maximum speed that your line can support regardless of which package you are on.

The main thing that limits speed is the distance you are from the cabinet and the quality of your line.

Before buying any package you should obtain an estimate of what speeds you would be likely to get once connected. This is not guaranteed speeds, just an estimate but it is a pretty accurate estimate. Once you have this information it is up to you, the purchaser to decide what package suits your needs. As you have said there are different "benefits" with Infinity 2. It is really irrelevant that you did not use them,they were still supplied.

If prior to purchase you sought the advice of BT to establish the best package for you based upon your estimate and they said you should go for Infinity 2 if your speed estimate was below 38Mbps then you may have grounds for complaint.

0 Ratings
Deathtrap3000
Recognised Expert
Message 5 of 14

A little while ago one of the main selling points of infinity 2 was unlimited data. I think infinity 1 only had a 40gb cap which would have been a reason to go for 2 over 1 even if the speed was the same.
0 Ratings
purkissa2
Beginner
Message 6 of 14

The question is about BT retail Infinity 1 vs Infinity 2, and by the way Plusnet is a separately run but wholly owned subsiduary of BT. However as I state the question is about a BT not a Plusnet product.

0 Ratings
purkissa2
Beginner
Message 7 of 14

I think you have hit the nail on the head here re unlimited data. So when Infinity 1 was offered with unlimited data they should have reduced my charges. Thank you.

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 14

it is up to you to monitor your connection and make the decision to change your contract not BT.  you must have selected infinity 2 at outset

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
umpire
Distinguished Guru
Message 9 of 14

Both Infinity 1 and 2 use the same VDSL2 protocol over the copper section for FTTC broadband.

Infinity 1 has sync rate caps of 40/10.
Infinity 2 has sync rate caps of 80/20.

For technical reasons (IP profiles) and compliance with general rules imposed by Ofcom and the ASA they are advertised by BT as 38/10 and 76/20.

You were wasting your money paying Infinity 2 prices for Infinity 1 speeds.
0 Ratings
umpire
Distinguished Guru
Message 10 of 14

As imjolly said unless you do something about it BT just let an existing contract run indefinitely. They are not generous enough to highlight when you might get the same for cheaper on a new contract. The emphasis is on you to review things once a year or so.
Not sure if Plusnet will be any different in that respect.
0 Ratings