cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mairid
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 19

Infinity 2 - 3Mbps evening (60+ daytime)

Go to solution

Like many others my BT Infinity 2 speeds are dropping from 70Mbps during the day to 3Mbps (!!!) right now at 10pm.  This has only started happening to this extent within the past week or 2.

http://beta.speedtest.net/result/5634772484

I can't even get the official BT speedtest to run (stops before 50% with an issue but runs fine when my speeds are higher).

As someone who works from home providing IT support to remote sites this is becoming a huge issue, Netfix etc. streaming at 480p is bad enough but when my work takes 5 times as long (or worse) then the hair starts getting pulled out. 😞

This is not purely due to contention as a friend a few hundred metres away on the same exchange is getting 50+ when I get < 10 and it has only become such a big issue in the last couple of weeks.  It has also been <10Mbps at 2am so I doubt very much it was in heavy use at that time.

Please tell me there is light at the end of the tunnel?!  Our contract is due for renewal in a couple of weeks so we do have the option to move but that is obviously a last resort.

0 Ratings
18 REPLIES 18
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 19

Re: Infinity 2 - 3Mbps evening (60+ daytime)

Go to solution
yes it will be solely a congestion issue as some providers such as SKY etc LLU operators have their own back hauls which would explain the speed differences BT Wholesale will be aware and a fix will be in the pipeline but fixes can sometimes take longer dependant on the fix needed
0 Ratings
mairid
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 19

Go to solution

I am sorry but I really do not buy into this.  I agree congestion will be a factor but at 2am I would not expect to be getting speeds <10Mbps when I get 70 during the daytime.  

And 3Mbps either way when we are paying for 70Mbps is totally unacceptable.  I also don't see why Sky etc. come into it when I am comparing 2 BT customers on the same exchange?

After failing to get my work done tonight due to connection issues, being passed on to the broadband team on Live Chat... waiting 40 minutes and then at 2308 I find out they close at 11pm without a word I can confidently say that I am a tad grumpy.

Finally, you say BT wholesale will be aware and a fix in the pipeline?  There is ZERO evidence of this and no way to prove it either way... so I am sorry but that really isn't very helpful even though I appreciate you taking the time to respond.

0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 19

Go to solution
BT Wholesale work in the background 24/7 they are not public facing the fixes can take time to fix according to the fix if it is installing extra equipment or putting additional cabling in these are not quick sometimes it is just software changes rerouting connection over less busy paths
0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 19

Go to solution
now you have made it clear you refer to another BT customer it is very possible their routing from the exchange to the core network is on a different Virtual Path to yours there is no point in contacting the help desk as they cannot help with this one as it is outside there remit
0 Ratings
DavidM
Message 6 of 19

Go to solution

Hi @mairid and welcome.

I can appreciate how frustrating this us be for you. If you can confirm whcih exchange you're on I'll be able to check for any problems.

Cheers

David

0 Ratings
mairid
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 19

Go to solution

Thanks John, I do appreciate you taking the time to respond and trying to help. 🙂

0 Ratings
mairid
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 19

Go to solution

Hi David, I am on the Ulverston Exchange, if you want me to PM you additional details just let me know.

0 Ratings
DavidM
Message 9 of 19

Go to solution

Hi @mairid,

Thanks for confirming that. I can't locate any issues with that exchange so can you please drop over an email with your details and we'll take a closer look at this for you. You'll get the contact the moderators link in my profile.

Cheers

David

0 Ratings
Ramorak
Beginner
Message 10 of 19

Go to solution
Hi @DavidM, thanks. I have had a look but can't see a Contact link in your profile (I am probably just being blind), I can only see an Add as Friend which doesn't seem to give any additional contact options.

I have read https://community.bt.com/t5/Announcements-Guides-Community/Change-of-Mods-Contact-Us-link/td-p/93164... but I am not sure if you still have the link hidden or not.

Cheers,
Craig
0 Ratings