cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 1 of 13

Infinity 2 - HomeHub connected via extension - will this reduce speed/quality?

I'm moving house soon & plan to carry over my existing Infinity connection, however the property i'm moving into has the master socket (with an older NTE5 faceplate with no built-in ADSL filter) at the complete opposite end of the house to where I would like to place my router (I am using a wired connection to all my relevant devices & so need the router to be physically close to my devices - I explicitly do not want to use wifi).

Currently there is a regular telephone extension from the master socket near to where I would like to locate my router. What is the best way to connect the router up to the phone line without degrading the signal? Would the following configuration work?

Master socket - ADSL filter conncted to it with phone connected to the filter.

Extension socket - ADSL filter connected to it with router connected to the filter.

Or would I only need the filter on the extension socket? The extension socket was originally used for a Sky phone-line for Sky Boxes, so i'm not sure what actual connector it's got on it.

Also, would having the router connected to the extension degrade the signal/speed at all (it's a good few meters away from the master socket)? (I'd like to know, even if it's only reduced by a tiny amount.)

0 Ratings
12 REPLIES 12
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 13

Re: Infinity 2 - HomeHub connected via extension - will this reduce speed/quality?

Use of filters on both sockets as described is correct. There will probably be a small deterioration in the speed but it is not possible to predict how much.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 13

Re: Infinity 2 - HomeHub connected via extension - will this reduce speed/quality?

only trial and error will show how much the speed degradation is using the test socket

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 4 of 13

How small a degredation are we talking? 1mbit, 0.1mbit?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 13

Impossible to say. It's been know to cut speeds by 90% or more
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 6 of 13

Jesus.

If I was to install a faceplate (with built-in VDSL filter) onto my master socket, and get a long enough VDSL lead going from there to where I wanted the router to be (5-10 metres max), would I avoid the degredation that i'd have if I'd connected the router to an extension? I have an VDSL lead that uses cat6 cable, which is supposedly superior than the ones you get bundled with the router.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 13

The only way to know is to try.

The extension wiring can sometimes act as an antenna inducing noise and interference into the circuit.
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 8 of 13

In that case, I shall disconnect the extension, install the VSDL Faceplate onto the master socket, and just get a long enough cat6 VSDL lead & wire it round to where the router is going to be. I could always test both approaches tbh & see which is better tbh.

Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 13

I would try it first before doing anything, I think Webby is being a bit pessimistic.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 13

I did say the only way to know is to test.

Just letting the OP know the worst case scenario.
0 Ratings