Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 27

Infinity 2 - Inconsistent Speed; evening is <5mbps

Go to solution

I have had Infinity 2 FTTC since last December. I live within 200m of the cabinet and my HH5 is connected to the master socket. This socket was changed out to the version with the built in filter by Kelly Communications during original installation. According to BTW ADSL checker and BT Broadband speedtest I should be able to achieve a shade under 70Mbps even if my line is impacted. Unfortunatly this has not been the case and I have suffered from very inconsistent bandwidth throughout my contract to date with anywhere between high teens to mid 40s being the norm. This is well below the expected speeds, although not low enough that I felt motivated enough to deal with a BT call centre.

However for several weeks now things have taken a turn for the worse during peak hours (ie. evening) and I've typically only been seeing a maximum of 4-5Mbps from around 6pm till 11pm. This has been causing me problems streaming TV which is very frustrating as I am paying for and as far as I can tell shouild be able to receive 15-20x bandwidth than this.

I've read other threads which suggest this could be down the cabinet requiring to be load balanced but unsure how to go about requesting this. Any other advice would be greatly appreciated.

New Picture.jpg

1. Product name:    BT Home Hub
2. Serial number:    +068343+NQ43465616
3. Firmware version:    Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.204.1.11 (Type A) Last updated 30/06/15
4. Board version:    BT Hub 5A
5. DSL uptime:    3 days, 09:40:17
6. Data rate:    19999 / 76397
7. Maximum data rate:    25271 / 82484
8. Noise margin:    9.0 / 8.1
9. Line attenuation:    10.5 / 10.5
10. Signal attenuation:    10.7 / 10.7

11. Data sent/received:    1.4 GB / 13.8 GB
12. Broadband username:    bthomehub@btbroadband.com

Note that the noise margin is usually lower but I had to turn the power off to get some electrical work completed on Monday.

0 Ratings
26 REPLIES 26
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 27

Re: Infinity 2 - Inconsistent Speed; evening is <5mbps

Go to solution

Run btspeedtester and when first test completes run diagnostic test and post results. Must be done with wired connection. 

btspeedtester

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 27

Go to solution

Hello, knew there was something I hadn't done. This particular test is one of the better ones, but still 50% less than minimum 'acceptable' speed for my connection. Most of the recent tests I have done using BTW site have been 10-12Mbps.

New Picture (1).jpg

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 27

Go to solution

Are there any exchange problems shown. http://usertools.plus.net/exchanges/mso.php

http://usertools.plus.net/exchanges/?

http://btbusiness.custhelp.com/app/service_status

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/15036

http://community.plus.net/exchange-information/

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 27

Go to solution
No, have been checking that daily for a while now.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 27

Go to solution

Spoke to BT customer services online earlier this morning. Somewhat implausibly I was advised that changing the wireless channel on my HH would mean "you will not face this slow speed issue again." They must think I am stupid.

Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 27
Moved:

Re: Infinity 2 - Inconsistent Speed (Deeside, Aberdeenshire area); evening is <5mbps

Go to solution
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 8 of 27
Moved:

Go to solution
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 27

Re: Infinity2 - Inconsistent speed throughout day

Go to solution

I rebooted my modem tonight after 8 days uptime, ended up with a slightly better data rate than previous one (79906 vs. 76397) and slight reduction in noise margin due to me using more of the 'available'maximum data rate.

New stats:

1. Product name:    BT Home Hub
2. Serial number:    +068343+NQ43465616
3. Firmware version:    Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.204.1.11 (Type A) Last updated 30/06/15
4. Board version:    BT Hub 5A
5. DSL uptime:    0 days, 00:39:02
6. Data rate:    19999 / 79906
7. Maximum data rate:    25393 / 83189
8. Noise margin:    15.2 / 7.7
9. Line attenuation:    10.5 / 10.5
10. Signal attenuation:    10.6 / 10.6

I've also been monitoring my bandwidth several times a day at the BT, BTW and thinkbroadband sites (wired test with only laptop connected and AV software disabled) and as I expected unfortunately it remains very variable despite my apparent clean line to the cabinet with bandwidth ranging from 72down/20up all the way down to 5down/12up.

One thing I have noticed from multiple tests on a site that outputs your bandwidth vs. time (eg. thinkbroadband, OOKLA, etc) is that my bandwidth usually starts off high (often >60mbps) before rapidly tailing off. Is this normal, if it isn't what could the potential cause(s) of this be?

I’d be very grateful for any suggestions as to what my next move should be! 🙂

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 27

Re: Infinity2 - Inconsistent speed throughout day

Go to solution

Latest test from 21:30 tonight:

New Picture.png

New Picture.gif

0 Ratings