cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Coupe388
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 24

Infinity 2 - New user - Slow speeds

I've had Ifinity 2 for the requisite 10 days and my speeds are not much better than my previous BT ASDL and a lot more inconsistent. The highest I have recorded is 34.48 down and 13.11 up. The lowest is 12.5 down / 13.1 up. It averages 25sown with a consistent upload of 13.

My tests have been on ethernet connection. Openreach engineer installation.

Wireless records similar speeds, no better or worse and it makes no difference if I am placed directly in front of the Home Hub 5.

I was told to expect 55-73 download.

I was recording a consistent 14.5 download on ASDL - wireless.

I wasn't expecting to have to trace my own "faults" but after the very lengthy chat session that was pretty much what was suggested as the adviser did not seem to think that my speeds were an issue. I am not a technical engineer, merely a customer who wants the minimum of fuss and a service that was promised and is being paid for.

Where do I go next? I have foolishly signed for an 18 month contract.

0 Ratings
23 REPLIES 23
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 24

Re: Infinity 2 - New user - Slow speeds

Can you run this checker and post back a screen shot of the results

http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome

and use this speed tester then carry out the further diagnostics and post back a screen shot of all the results including your IP profile for up and down. This test must be done with a wired connection.

http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/

if you have a Homehub 5 can you also post the stats from 1-12 by logging onto the homehub management pages then troubleshooting > helpdesk. http://bthomehub.home/
0 Ratings
Coupe388
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 24

Thanks for the reply.

A couple of questions please, the DLS checker shows my home telephone number at the top so I don't want to publish a screenshot of it.

Secondly, I have a homehub 5 and did come across the 1-12 stats but now have gone goggle eyed trying to find out how I got to it last time.

Thanks

0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 24

just edit out your phone number the help desk page is in trouble shooting
0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 24

just delete your phone number from the checker results before you post

to get stats go to troubleshooting then helpdesk

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Coupe388
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 24

Thanks for the replies.

I haven't produced any stats as I have to borrow a laptop to connect via Ethernet and it isn't available for a couple of days and even then, I have no real understanding of what I am doing or even why should I be doing this anyway.

My DL speeds on wireless are still averaging no more than 25mb.

Before I signed up for the 18 month contract the adviser I spoke to never mentioned that the speeds are only guaranteed if it is via Ethernet, only that around 60 - 73 dl would be achievable. (Which it isn't - the speeds are the same via wireless sitting in front of the HH5 as they are with the wireless off and on Ethernet)

I was also was not advised that if the speeds were not as advised I would suddenly have to get a degree in network studies to enable me to understand and publish stats.

Simply put, I don't understand pretty much anything that is advised on the forum and struggle and if the forum is the only medium that I am likely to get any help from BT I am  sunk.

To summarise:

I was advised a speed of 60 -73 Dl would be achievable

I was not advised this would only be achievable via Ethernet

I am not receiving the advised speed via Ethernet or wireless

I would not have signed for the contract if I was advised that the speeds would be around 20Dl wireless

Tech chat go over the same ways of improving the wireless speeds - none of them make any difference.

I am not getting the service I am paying for

BT are unable or not willing to sort it out

How can BT get away with such flagrant breaches of consumer law?

I apologise if this is coming across as a rant.

0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 24

no ISP will guarantee wireless speeds as there are tomany sources of external interference

if you post the information asked for then we can start to help you resolve any problems with your connection
0 Ratings
Coupe388
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 24

Thanks for that. I see you have only taken on board one word out of the whole message. I'll drop the "guaranteed" from my original post but the rest still stands.

I spent a long time yesterday on with tech help again and even let them take over my screen to look at my hub settings. The upshot was I was told that 20mb was considered to be a good download speed and after much tweaking when a test showed 30mb it was problem solved. It dropped to 24 mb with the next test.

Unbelievable.....

0 Ratings
ray_dorset
Distinguished Guru
Message 9 of 24

Can you post your helpdesk data from the HH5 please? These are in Troubleshooting/Helpdesk on the web interface at http://192.168.1.254 or http://bthomehub.home or http://bthub.home

Please miss out any data you don't want to post

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
If you found this post helpful, please click on the star on the left
If not, I'll try again 🙂
0 Ratings
Coupe388
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 24

Thanks, but is there no other way I can get help other than posting up information on a public forum and getting into areas of which I have no idea of what I am doing.

I'm simply a customer who needs some help in achieving what they have signed up to.

I don't expect to know how my car works, if it goes wrong i take it back to the garage and collect it later. I don't have to give them my personal details, inside leg measurement and take evening classes in car electronics to get it fixed.

0 Ratings