cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
IanMK13
Contributor
Message 1 of 21

Infinity 2 - No improvement over Infinity 1

I accepted another 18 month BT contract on the basis of an Infinity 2 upgrade with an estimate of 54Mbps download - an increase from mid-high 30's that I was getting on Infinity 1.  My upgrade apparently occurred mid-April but I'm still getting the same speeds. (according to speedtest.net)  I've tried checking my line profile with speedtester on several occasions but it will not run ("Test Error").  I spent half an hour talking to a gentleman in BT Customer Services (foreign call centre?)but he couldn't even find my order when I gave him the reference.  That's half an hour of my life I'm not going to get back. Can any mods help?

0 Ratings
20 REPLIES 20
Highlighted
Sageman
Contributor
Message 2 of 21

Re: Infinity 2 - No improvement over Infinity 1

I have the exact same problem, wrote to the mods about it 4 or 5 days ago but I have not had a reply yet.

Original Infinity speeds were 38/5

Upgrade Infinity speeds 44/6

Estimate of upgrade speed 55/13

I have updated my contract for another 18 months on the basis of the faster estimate only to find that I am not getting the speed. Upgrade happened on 19-04-2012.

Looking at the information supplied by others this seems to be widespread and BT need to get there act together.

0 Ratings
Guru
Message 3 of 21

Hi Ian, have you checked on your B.T account online to see what package you are currently receiving? any more luck with the B.T Speedtester?
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution
0 Ratings
IanMK13
Contributor
Message 4 of 21

Aarong - I've checked my account online and it says 'BT Infinity Option 2'.  What should it be?  The accompanying text states 'upto 38Mb download' and 'upto 9.5Mb upload'.

I managed to get speedtester to run once, but didn't capture the screen.  As I recall, it stated a maximum download of 42Mb/s, achieving 30 something, and a maximum upload of 20Mb/s, achieving 8.

Speedtest.net currently showing 38Mb/s & 8Mb/s (the same as before the 'upgrade').

0 Ratings
Guru
Message 5 of 21

Are you testing wired or wirelessly? Wouldn't worry about the speedtest speeds at the moment, it's not been running up to scratch as of late.

Could you try this speedtest and post results please? http://www.speedtest.bbmax.co.uk/
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution
0 Ratings
Smartstots
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 21

I have the same problem, Signed up to Infinity 2 and my speed are pretty much the same.

0 Ratings
Smartstots
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 21

oh and i tested on speedtest.bbmax and with a wired connection, my upload is better an my Down is only about 2-3mb quicker!Man Sad

0 Ratings
Guru
Message 8 of 21

What are your estimates for Infinity 2 Smartstots?

0 Ratings
devizes
Contributor
Message 9 of 21

I'd love to see if there is someone who could let us all know what is really going at BT and their infinity 2 product. It almost looks like that BT have made the product available with this being fully operational. It seems that many (too many) are haven no speed gain and others a speed reduction when compared to what they had with infinity 1.
My speed went up from 38 to 54 and 8 to 13. I'm okay with the gain, not really what I expected but hey for the same price...
My friends were on the same initial speed of 38/8 on a different cabinet and after the "upgrade" they dropped to 29. BT engineer said that this was really the highest speed they could get. This doesn't make any sense. If the cabinet was the same how could they now be on lower speed? The distance from the house to the cabinet has not changed?! Or has it?
Could it be that not all cabinets have been upgraded to infinity 2 and now the physical distance is longer because they connected my friends to a more distance cabinet that HAS infinity 2? Or is infinity 2 cabinet dependant? Some who could let me know?

0 Ratings
Guru
Message 10 of 21

The main issues with Infinity 2 is the increased frequencies, just like moving from ADSL Max to ADSL2/2+. This is more so affected by people who are further away from the cabinet, DLM works harder to stabilise the line but in result reduces speeds in the process to stabilise it. Yes there are many people having issues with Infinity 2, but there are also many people who are not, you won't see this reflected on a forum as people come hear to sort out their issues/faults with their products/services.

0 Ratings