Wired.

41.030Mbps download

7.941Mbps upload

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 12 of 21

Re: Infinity 2 - No improvement over Infinity 1

I am too suffering the same issue. My upgrade has given me 16mps up but has taken by down from 38mps to 25mps. Totally rubbish. I have got this case being looked at by the
mods but this is now been over 2 weeks and I've had a pointless engineer visit who could not find an issue and countless requests to run speed tests. I don't get how BT could downgrade my speed and not sort it ? I personaly think it's more open reach than BT.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Guru
Message 13 of 21

Looking better wired Ian, i would recommend you contact tech support 0800 111 4567, possibly ask for a replacement modem and or hub, see also if there maybe able to send out an engineer. Also, have you tried resetting your hub and modem? possibly a hard reset? (hold the reset button for 10 seconds)

If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 14 of 21

Aarong

All figures are for wired. I only use WiFi for the odd Notebook.

Bear in mind it's a Sunday morning so speeds will be somewhat better.  Speedtest.net also hit 40 earlier this morning.

Modem was replaced 4-6 weeks ago (I don't know why; at BT's request).

Modem and router both had a power-down reset this morning.

Reluctant to phone again.  Is the phone number you quoted serviced in the UK?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 15 of 21

I have got an engineer coming to investigate why my speed took a massive hit after i upgraded to Infinity 2 in mid - april.

I was quoted as getting between 57.4Meg and 59Meg on the down, and upto 20Meg on the up. The speed seemed dependent on which part of the BT website did the line test.

Anyway after the upgrade, i rebooted the Hub & OR modem as suggested elsewhere in the forums and ran a speedtest.net test as the BT speedtest was having an off day.

And that came back with a speed of 53Meg on the Down and 16Meg on the Up. No problems there, then after 4 days the hub reset itself, and since then it's struggled to get out of the low 40Megs on the down and at times less than 10Meg on the up.

And the IP for my line is 54.38Meg / 20Meg.

That took a hit as well when the hub reset as when i got the BT test to run the orginal IP for my line was 56Meg / 20Meg.

So it seems to be UK wide. And BT don't seem to be in any hurry to fix it.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Guru
Message 16 of 21

Hi Ian, have you requested a new router? quite a few Infinity users have had this fixed with a hub swap out. The tech support number isn't i'm afraid. I would suggest a hub replacement and go from there, if nothing improves there still, contact the mods and see what they can do for you: https://bt.custhelp.com/app/contact_email/c/4951

It take up to 3 days to get a response from them either by email or phone. (Also it may take longer due to the bank holiday weekend).

If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 17 of 21

I can understand that the change in technology (whatever it is) makes people who are further away from the cabinet suffer from reduced speeds, but that BT wouldn't know this and still offer Infinity 2 when this was going to downgrade their speeds surprises me.

It is BT who shows adverts that they wouldn't offer customers a speeds that they know customers wouldn't get. Well this isn't what's happening!

Yes whilst there are people like me where the upgrade has really upgraded my Down and up-load speed, my friends who have switched to Infinity 2 have seen their speeds going down.

This shows to me that BT isn't in control of this new technology as many might believe. almost looks like when you buy a 4x4 vehicle and believe that nothing will stop you know, maybe something will if you don’t know the terrain!

In theory all should work fine but the old copper lines that might be many years old might be hiding barriers for the wanted speeds.

Having said this and sounding rather negative (sorry) I do appreciate their (BT’s) commitment in getting a smile on their customers face. I suffered from endless speed problems which were caused by bad wires between the cabinet and my property and also bad HH3 (6 in total replaced). In the end we got there and I’m happy now.

Highlighted
Contributor
Message 18 of 21

Aarong

You originally asked what package I was on according to my BT account webpage.  If I am reading it correctly (as quoted in an earlier post) I am on the slower speed Infinity package.  Maybe this needs addressing first.

Is the design of the router so poor that the manufacturing variance makes such a big difference? Perhaps devizes would say they are!

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 19 of 21

@IanMK13 wrote:

Aarong - I've checked my account online and it says 'BT Infinity Option 2'.  What should it be?  The accompanying text states 'upto 38Mb download' and 'upto 9.5Mb upload'.

My profile says exactly that, too,but you can't rely on  it.

I did receive the upgrade and I get speeds of 72 down and 16 up.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Guru
Message 20 of 21

Yea get it checked over Ian, it's has been know that people are on the old package but receiving new speeds, hopefully this will clear things up.
0 Ratings