Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tomcoleman
Contributor
Message 1 of 12

Infinity 2 Noise issues mutiple engineers and CEO escalation

Hi All,

I'm a CTO so understand the technical workings of connections.

Since i moved into the property over 2 years the BT connection has been rock solid, 80/20 and more all day long - used to pull down around 8.8mb/s so was a happy chap.

In the last last weeks the connection has gone to around 35mb (3.5mb/s)

Called BT engineer came over, said nothing was wrong and left.

Giving my technical background i knew this was a lie so contacted the BT CEO. Got a repsonce and deadicated team case handler within the hour.

Case hander sent another engineer today (actually same guy) with different instructions.

The line is now sync'd at 40down (4mb/s) and 20 up (2mb/s) so it seems im getting infinity 1 download but infinity 2 upload which is werid in itself.

The stats from the router show

1. Product name:BT Home Hub
2. Serial number:+068543+NQ55117982
3. Firmware version:Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.204.1.11 (Type A) Last updated 11/04/16
4. Board version:BT Hub 5A
5. DSL uptime:0 days, 02:57:03
6. Data rate:19999 / 40618
7. Maximum data rate:23989 / 40639
8. Noise margin:14.9 / 6.0
9. Line attenuation:15.8 / 12.8
10. Signal attenuation:15.9 / 12.9
11. Data sent/received:15.4 GB / 477.4 GB
12. Broadband username:bthomehub@btbroadband.com
13. BT Wi-fi:Yes
14. 2.4 GHz Wireless network/SSID:BT-Tom
15. 2.4 GHz Wireless connections:Enabled (802.11 b/g/n (up to 144 Mb/s))
16. 2.4 GHz Wireless security:WPA2
17. 2.4 GHz Wireless channel:Automatic (Smart Wireless)
18. 5 GHz Wireless network/SSID:BT-Tom
19. 5 GHz Wireless connections:Enabled (802.11 a/n/ac (up to 1300 Mb/s))
20. 5 GHz Wireless security:WPA2
21. 5 GHz Wireless channel:Automatic (Smart Wireless)
22. Firewall:Disabled
23. MAC Address:84:a4:23:15:d0:22
24. Modulation:G.993.2 Annex B
25. Software variant:AA
26. Boot loader:1.0.0

I have also tested with the older HH4 and VDSL modem which gets the same results, ruling out a modem/HH5/HH4 issue.

The deadicated support tech is now proving difficult to get hold of so thought i would post on here while they come back to me (been 3 days now)

My questions are is my SNR/Noise an issue?

It seems like my profile maybe messed up and hasnt changed nearly 2 weeks now is this a DSLAM issue that the line is stuck on Infinity 1?? and someone needs to reset/or make a remote change?

I also forgot to mention the BT wholesale speed checker advises a connection of 70-80mb with a min of 60mb.

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
Webby
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 12

Re: Infinity 2 Noise issues mutiple engineers and CEO escalation

Firstly you're definitely not on Infinity 1 as you've rightly stated, you have a 20meg upload and arw actually connected just above 40meg. Infinity 1 limits the downstream speed to 39999kbps or there abouts.

With your line attenuation I would expect you to be getting 80meg. Your noise margin is fine.

However, your max attainable rate is only 40639, this here is essentially the issue. Something is causing your line to not be able to achieve anywhere near the speeds it should be getting. That could be a faulty modem, faulty port at the cabinet or a fault on the line somewhere in between the two points. As you've ruled out the modem, you know it's not that.

Have you removed the faceplate from your master socket and tested in the test socket?

Did the engineer test the speeds at the cabinet? He should have to ensured it was giving 80meg, if it was then he simply needs to work back towards your house testing at the DP and any other joints to see where the big drop off in speeds occur.

If you're speaking to the executive level tech guys in Newcastle they know their stuff and should be able to arrange for another engineer to visit. Hopefully an engineer who is actually bothered.

The exec tech team should have given you a phone number with an associated pin number.

If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
tomcoleman
Contributor
Message 3 of 12

Thanks for the reply.

To be fair the lady im dealing with in Newcastle is spot on - prolly one of the best ive spoken to at BT.

I thought i would post here to see if the model results where fine.

The engineer did do some tests but hasnt fixed or done anything major just simple checks A > B, he did identify the speed drops off inside the house but never tested the master socket.

I'll have a look tonight

Thanks for confirming the SNR

0 Ratings
Webby
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 12

No worries.

The test socket is a very quick test and by checking the downstream sync rate will give an immediate indication as to whether the internal wiring of your home is the problem.

If the speed rockets in the test socket, something in your house is causing the issue.
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
tomcoleman
Contributor
Message 5 of 12

I have no other phone lines inside the house.

It's a pure from the road into one master socket in my home with no other paired or connected phone sockets. My house actually doesn't have any other phone sockets apart from the master.
0 Ratings
Webby
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 12

It's worth a try. Also try a different microfilter too if you have one.

If that makes no difference then you definitely need another engineer visit.
0 Ratings
tomcoleman
Contributor
Message 7 of 12

yea will have a look tonight, im not using a filter but the intergrated master socket (latest version)

but will try re-seating the wires anyway and try a filter in the test socket.

tomcoleman
Contributor
Message 8 of 12

So i decided last night to unscrew the faceplate completly and check the cabling.

The cable tie that was orginally used inside the master socket was my own that was used by the engineer 2 years ago i know this because i gave it to him and it was bright red.

Upon opening the box the cable tie was still there, uncut, un-replaced which told me stright away the engineer i have had over the last 3 days didnt bother to re-crimp or check the wiring in the back of the faceplate box.

I proceeded to rip out the cables, re-cut, re-crimp and re-seat, all in all a 5minuite job a monkey can do.

And volla SYNC'd back to 79999, 19999 (80/20)

It amazes me that BT has wasted their own money here sending over an engineer 3 times who couldnt even solve a 5 minuite job.

it must have cost them over £300 in engineer salary, fuel, time etc etc - which is crazy from BT's side imagine if they times that by all their engineers they would be saving millions!!!!!

The point is i only fixed this due to my technical background, imagine if your not technical or old you would have settled for the BT guys word.

absolute insanity IMO.

I'm going to call the eingeer this morning and give him a peace of my mind.

0 Ratings
Webby
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 12

Glad you got sorted 🙂
0 Ratings
tomcoleman
Contributor
Message 10 of 12

true but only because of my skill set.