cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SteveS99
Contributor
Message 1 of 5

Infinity 2 Self Install - so far so good

There have been a few questions here recently about whether Infinity 2 self-installs were now being done, so I though I would post my recent experience as an example of a, so far, successful experience.

I live in a small viallage in South Cambridgeshire and have been on regular BT Broadband since we moved here a few years ago. I was getting about 3.5 Mbs download.

As part of the Connecting Cambridgeshire project, our village was finally enabled for FTTC a few weeks ago and the Broadband Availability Checker said I could get a max of 80 downstream (Low 70.2 Range B Impacted). The new cabinet in the village is about 100 yards from my house. The exchange is a mile or so away.

I took the plunge a couple of weeks ago, logged into my MyBT account and placed an upgrade order online for BT Infinity 2. I was expecting to have to schedule an engineer home visit, but the online process did not prompt for it. I was able to select an activation date of 27th Nov (yesterday) and the confirmation e-mail confirmed I did NOT need to be at home. I never spoke to anyone at BT.

The new Hub 5 arrived in the post on 25th Nov (the day they said it would) and fitted through the letterbox.

On activation day I happened to be at home anyway. At about 2.30 pm my existing broadband (Hub 2) stopped working. I popped out into the street and lo and behold there was a Kelly/OpenReach van parked by the cabinet and a bloke on his knees before the cabinet.  I said hello, and said I was from the house down the street and that I thought he might be activating my Infinity 2. He asked for my name and when I said it he instantly said “Oh, I’ve just done you - it should be working now”

I went home - still had a dial-tone which was encouraging. Swapped the Hub 2 for the Hub 5, took a deep breath and switched it on! After a brief light show it settled to a stable blue light. Promising. I have no idea if it is in a "master socket". I just know its the only socket in the house that gets a dial tone! Its nowhere near where the cable from the pole outside comes into the house. I used the new microfilter supplied with the Hub 5.

First tried with an ethernet connection to my Mac. Opened a browser and lo-and behold - it loaded a webpage. Hurrah!
Couldn’t resist one speed test and I was very happy - 75Mb Download and 14 MB upload. So gotta be happy with that.

Ipad and iPhone now also connected via Wireless and all seems good so far. Not done a wireless speed test on them.
TV connected via ethernet - but via those HomePlug thingies that send it across the mains wiring. Seemed to work fine with a quick test on iPlayer. Not sure how to do a speed test on that.

Today - things still seem OK. Hub has had a stable blue light everytime I have glanced at it. I am resisting dong more speed tests, but things certainly seem to be zipping along. And yes, the phone works at the same time!

So ... Infinity 2 self-installs are happening. And so far so good for me on Day 2. I hope I am not tempting fate by posting this!
Just thought some of you may be interested.

4 REPLIES 4
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 5

Re: Infinity 2 Self Install - so far so good

Encouraging news, I'm in north Cambridgeshire hoping my cabinet will be enabled shortly.

0 Ratings
SteveS99
Contributor
Message 3 of 5

Good Luck

Keep checking here https://www.dslchecker.bt.com with your phone number until is says FTTC is available. Thats how I first discovered it had gone live (sooner that I thought it would).

licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 5

Other cabinets on the exchange are already live, they look to have had a couple of sections of blocked duct into our village which has caused a delay. They have just had new sections dug in and the cable pulled in, guess they are just waiting for the jointers to splice the cables. Keeping a close eye on proceedings along the road!!!

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 5

@SteveS99

great post and should be helpfull to others who will also get self install for infinity2

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.