cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Danf
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 11

Infinity 2 Speed Issues

Just posting a forum post here, so i can link it to my "contact us" query.

My infinity 2 was installed on monday (15th) and ive been getting an average of between 25mb-30.  The estimate before i ordered was this.

55.2Mb
Download speed

18Mb
Upload speed

This information was the basis of my decision to order Infinity 2 rather than the up to 38mb package.  Over the last few days the speed has been gradually getting worse.

my ip profile is set to :

32.04 Mbps Upstream Rate IP profile 20 Mbps

Current speed

Download speedachieved during the test was - 27.11 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speedsis 16 Mbps-32.04 Mbps .
Additional Information:
IP Profile for your line is - 32.04 Mbps

Upload speed achieved during the test was - 6.67Mbps
Additional Information:
Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 20 Mbps

its not as bad as some of the stories here, i accept, but i feel im still paying for an inferior service.

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
curiousfellow
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 11

Re: Infinity 2 Speed Issues

Are you doing a speed test via the LAN cable and not wirelessly?

Also make sure no one else is using your network at the same time plus any mail client such as Outlook or BT Yahoo is not open. Also disable auto update on any antivirus you have as any download from these may affect your test.

My estimate was similar to your but Im getting around 51Mb DL and around 15Mb UL.

0 Ratings
Danf
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 11

im plugged in via ethernet and im ensuring that nothing else is using the bandwidth.

i wont get near that speed at the minute the way my profile is set.

0 Ratings
legitimise_sailing
Distinguished Expert
Message 4 of 11

Was the install done correctly by an Openreach engineer, with a new master socket?

Did he demonstate it working?

Did he say what speeds you would get?

--
To say thanks for a helpful answer, please click the white star
0 Ratings
Danf
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 11

i wasnt present when it was installed, but im told they gave no indication on speed. But looking on the forums they never do.

They fitted the new plate to the master socket, i didnt ask for it to be moved or anything out of the normal to be done.

0 Ratings
dbedford
Contributor
Message 6 of 11

Are you using all of the 30 meg download capability? 

I have the same arrangement but are obtaining around 30meg wireless, changing my wireless channel I may get a meg or two more, but for me with 30 or 50 I have capacity to spare. and using a LAN its further improved.

0 Ratings
Enigma123
Expert
Message 7 of 11

Use port 4 when testing with the cr*p Hub3, i to was given a lofty IP profile that i can never reach due to the length of the cable the line would never reach the promised upto speed, i had to argue the fact then BT held their hands up after 2month and no payments for the infinity2 service now we are on better terms to my benifit 😉
0 Ratings
Bald_Eagle1
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 11

@Danf wrote:

im plugged in via ethernet and im ensuring that nothing else is using the bandwidth.

i wont get near that speed at the minute the way my profile is set.

An IP Profile of 32.04 Mb indicates a sync speed of only 33 Mb.

The problem with pre-installation estimates is that they are just that - estimates (mainly based upon post code).

You could be a long way from the cabinet, say up to 900m or so (susceptible to high attenuation & 'noise' interference or your line could have a problem.

Interleaving has also probably kicked in, reducing sync speeds & increasing delay etc.

I wouldn't be surprised if the estimated speed shown in BT's checker eventually reduces for your own telephone number as it will then be more based upon historical data now that FTTC is actually installed.

My pre-install estimate (way back when) was 14.6 Mb.

I achieved 32Mb - 33 Mb throughput for the first month.

As FTTC was upgraded to the 17a profile from the original 8c profile, the estimate using my phone No. increased firstly to 24 Mb & then after a couple of months to 30 Mb.

It is still 30Mb, but my sync speed has gradually reduced to around 24 Mb - presumably my connection is now being affected by crosstalk as more users are connected to the cabinet.

I was one of the first, if not THE first, to be connected to my cabinet back in June 2011.

FWIW, I am approximately 1000m from my cabinet - measured by me with a trundle wheel & also confirmed by a BT Openreach engineer.

0 Ratings
Danf
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 11

As far as i can tell im between 400-500 meters to my cabinet. obviously thats direct distance so the actual cable distance could be longer.

If BT's estimatating tool is flawed, thats their issue not mine.  Ive opted for a service tarriff based on the information they provided.  

0 Ratings
curiousfellow
Aspiring Expert
Message 10 of 11

Im about 600 - 700m from my cabinet. My estimate via the BT check was 51.5mb DL and 12Mb UL.

In the first 10 days, I was getting upto 56Mb and 15Mb. After about a month, Im now getting 52 - 53Mb DL and between 13 - 15Mb UL.

So I dont agree the BT estimate is always more than it actually turns out to be.

If you are 400 - 500m from the cabinet, I'd suggest you should be getting the same or better than my speed but you'd need to know for sure.
0 Ratings