cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Message 1 of 7

Infinity 2 Speed Problems

When I ordered Infinity, the BT checker told me I could get Infinity 2 with speeds between 60 and 80 meg. I therefore went for the top package, Infinity 2, up to 78meg unlimited.

When it was installed, apart from the Kelly engineer not having a clue what he was doing, I got a speed test result of 32meg, with the modem synced at around 35meg.

The engineer told me that would increase over the next few days to around 75meg.

Knowing some about FTTC, and also knowing that the Kelly engineers aren’t very good, and, he was keen to get away, I realised what he was telling me was untrue.

Indeed my speeds have decreased to around 30meg sync.

Ok, not a problem, still better than I had with ADSL.

Following this, I have been informed by a number of my neighbours (a substantial number) that Infinity 2 IS NOT available in my area, and, when they tried to order, were only offered Infinity 1 with speeds around the 30meg mark.

Again, no real problem, other than, there is no way whatsoever that I am paying for a package and speeds which I have no way of achieving.

I have therefore raised an incident with BT to either put me on Infinity 2 with the speeds promised (which is unlikely since it is not available in my area) or move me down to Infinity 1 up to 38meg unlimited, which I would be more than happy to pay for.

Very much as expected with the terrible customer care from BT, I have heard absolutely nothing whatsoever back from them and do not expect to. Clearly they want me to phone up and go through all the rigmarole of speaking to a script monkey who will try and convince me that I am wrong.

Is there any way of getting out of this contract due to misselling, or, any way of actually getting a response from someone with some intelligence or even interest in helping a paying customer?

All I want is the speed and product as sold, or to be moved to the more appropriate package.

Any help/advice much appreciated.

A lovely welcome back to BT L

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 7

Re: Infinity 2 Speed Problems

If Infinity is available then Infinity 1 and 2 are available. They are exactly the same product. The only difference is a software cap on the line depending on which product you buy. The maximum speed for Infinity 1 is 38Mbps and for Infinity 2 it is 78Mbps. This however does not mean that you will be able to get those speeds.

The speed you can get is dependent on many factors but the biggest are the distance you are from the fibre cabinet and the condition of your line.

As regards your neighbours it sounds like they were only offered Infinity 1 because their line is unable to achieve the max of 38Mbps. That does not mean that every other persons line in your street is the same. You could be connected to a different cabinet or have a better grade of line.

It may be that your line can not support speeds over 38Mbps but to help establish that and try to determine what the problem is can you run this checker and post back a screen shot of the results

http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome

and use this speed tester then carry out the further diagnostics and post back a screen shot of all the results including your IP profile for up and down. This test must be done with a wired connection.

http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/

As you will have a Homehub 5 can you also post the stats from 1-12 by logging onto the homehub management pages then troubleshooting > helpdesk. http://bthomehub.home/

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 3 of 7

Thanks for your reply.

The point being, through the order process, a line check was undertaken which estimated speeds between 60 and 80meg.

It should not have offered me infinity 2 if my line could not cope with those speeds.

My complaint is not the lack of speed, it is the fact that I have been offered a package which is not suitable for me and the order process is supposed to ensure that does not happen.

I know (now) that my line cannot take those speeds offered by infinity 2, however, when ordering BT told me it could, hence why I ordered it.

I would not have ordered a product which is not compatible with my line.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 4 of 7

Telephone Number XXX on Exchange FILTON is served by Cabinet 14

Featured ProductsDownstream Line Rate(Mbps)Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)Downstream Range(Mbps)Availability Date   High Low High Low    
FTTC Range A (Clean)8066.92020--Available
FTTC Range B (Impacted)8056.92012.2--Available

WBC ADSL 2+Up to 3--1.5 to 5.5Available
ADSL MaxUp to 2--1.5 to 4.5Available
WBC Fixed Rate1 ----Available
Fixed Rate1 ----Available
Other Offerings
Fibre Multicast------Available
Copper Multicast------Available

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 7

I don't know how you ordered Infinity whether it was automated on line or through a customer service rep so I am not going to go into that other than to say if your estimate came back saying you could get 60-80Mbps that would be the reason why you were offered it.

If you carry out the test I asked for that will show if your line can or can not support Infinity 2 speeds. It may be that you have either had a bad install or there is a problem with your line that when fixed it will be able to deliver the speeds you were quoted.

Out of interest how do you now know your line can not take the speeds offered have you already run the tests requested?

EDIT: Your estimated speeds should be between 56Mbps and 80Mbps depending on range of your line.

Please post the other stats requested.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 6 of 7

I am not able to do the other test or provide the HH5 stats at the moment as I am not at home, but will do later.

I am pretty confident in what my neighbours are stating as, they all come off the same cabinet as me and all have the same quality of cable run and indeed same cable run as me. It is a new estate and this part of the estate went live at the end of December for Infinity with all installs done on the same day by the same engineer who confirmed the same cabinet etc. Appreciate that is not necessarily 100% fact but goes some way.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 7

I think I would rather see the stats for my own line than go on the assumptions of neighbours but that's up to you.

Have you run the estimate checker I posted using your neighbours phone number to see what comes back for that?

0 Ratings