cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 11 of 62

Re: Infinity 2 activated, speeds vastly slower than estimates, only 1432kbps up!

Ok, just wanted to rule out wifi-only problems.

Sounds like a Homehub problem. You could try a factory reset first before asking for a replacement.

The junction box will probably affect your speeds and may even be responsible for your problems, so I agree you should ask them to remove it.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
If you found this post helpful, please click on the star on the left
If not, I'll try again 🙂
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 12 of 62

Re: Infinity 2 activated, speeds vastly slower than estimates, only 1432kbps up!

OK, so Openreach visit number 2, junction box removed, proper faceplate fitted and a whole load of wiring changed between the cab/exchange and me ("Of the two wires outside of your property which could have been causing you problems, the problem was both of them" was the quote) and things have improved again.  I'm now synched at a rock-solid 50/15 which I'm perfectly happy with (I did have 53/16 for a while this morning while he was working but I'll take stability over a couple of extra meg at the top end to be honest) and my pings have dropped from 38 to ~20, all good.

I'm not sure if the packetloss issue is resolved as that only shows its head periodically anyway, but everything else now seems to be working as it should.

However, I do still seem to be capped somewhere at the ISP level as my upload, despite being on a 20mbps profile and synched at 15mbps only gives me a max throughput of 1.18mbps on the BT Wholesale speedtest (or any other speedtester for that matter).  The profile on the Wholesale checker correctly shows 20mbps, any idea what's capping me and how to get it uncapped again?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 13 of 62

Well BT don't seem to know what is causing the upload issue, I'm on the right profile, I'm synched at the right speed, but my upload is pegged at 1.3mbps tops.

The tech I spoke to has sent me out a new HH5, but this looks to be ISP-side to me, so I don't hold out much hope of it resolving, although I totally accept it's a good first step at this stage.

Here's my BT Wholesale speedtest results for anyone who cares or is still reading, if you have any ideas I'm all ears!

Clipboard02.png

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 14 of 62

Two weeks further down the line, two more OpenReach engineers and I still have disconnection issues.  The upload issue of the last post resolved itself overnight the same day, so not sure what was going on there but I've had my full upload ever since.  However, I've dropped down from 55/16 to 40/14 and I still haven't lasted longer than a couple of days without a disconnection.  Interleaving is obviously on as I have 34ms pings to bbc.co.uk and essentially I'm stuck with the least reliable connection I've had in years, and until 3 weeks ago I was 6km from an ADSLMax only exchange on 2.5/0.8, but at least it was a solid connection that didn't fail every day!

Has anyone got any idea what I can do to get this resolved?  Everything bar the drop cable has been swapped now, will BT swap this too?  The only reason I ask is that the engineer's test device got 10Mbps more connected at the top of the pole than he did at my master socket, despite there only being about 10-feet of cable between the two.

Getting to the end of my tether now so if anyone has any ideas I'm all ears.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 15 of 62

I'm surprised they didn't swap the drop wire, they obviously should.

Can you post your line stats from the HH5 please? These are in Troubleshooting/Helpdesk on the web interface at http://192.168.1.254

Lines 1-13 will be enough

If not, I'll try again 🙂
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 16 of 62

1. Product Name: HomeHub5
2. Serial number: +076284+1430000162
3. Firmware version: v0.07.03.0814-BT (Type B) Last updated 22/1/2015
4. Board version: 01
5. VDSL uptime: 0 days, 00:54:59
6. Data Rate: 14464 / 40516
7. Maximum Data Rate: 14632 / 46559
8. Noise Margin: 6.2 / 6.4
9. Line Attenuation: 0.0 / 21.6
10. Signal Attenuation: 0.0 / 0.0
11. Data sent/received: 24.3 MB / 111.7 MB
12. Broadband username: bthomehub@btbroadband.com
13. BT Wi-fi: Yes

As I say, I started off synching at 55/16 when they finally resolved the phoneline issue but it has dropped daily ever since.

The last OpenReach guy did swap something out between me and the exchange somewhere which resolved a resistance issue on the line (showed up as a fail on his test device, passed afterwards) but didn't seem keen to do the drop cable as he said it looked OK to him. This despite the 10Mbps discrepancy.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 17 of 62

I think you should ring up and complain about the 10 Mbps discrepancy and demand the drop wire is replaced as that is almost certainly a problem.
If not, I'll try again 🙂
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 18 of 62

My fourth OpenReach engineer visit is now booked in for Wednesday, they have put on the notes that the drop cable is potentially suspect so fingers crossed!

0 Ratings
Contributor
Message 19 of 62

Another day, another speed drop, i I'm well past the point where Infinity 2 is actually worth paying for now. It seems to lose connection every day between 2am and 3am, and between 5pm & 6pm I get massive packet loss which can only be resolved by a router restart. I'm 100% certain it's nothing I'm doing here as it happens whether I'm here or not.

Today's stats:

1. Product Name: HomeHub5

2. Serial number: +076284+1430000162

3. Firmware version: v0.07.03.0814-BT (Type B) Last updated 22/1/2015

4. Board version: 01

5. VDSL uptime: 0 days, 00:01:28

6. Data Rate: 13049 / 38841

7. Maximum Data Rate: 13167 / 49835

8. Noise Margin: 6.1 / 6.6

9. Line Attenuation: 0.0 / 21.6

10. Signal Attenuation: 0.0 / 0.0

So that's another 1.5Mbps up lost and another 2Mbps down. I really hope they resolve it tomorrow or I'm seriously considering just getting them to void my contact so I can move elsewhere.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 20 of 62

Time for my daily router trouble!  Just an example of what I'm seeing, at 19:56 (a good few hours later than most days) my router started dropping the odd packet and browsing ground to a halt and YouView stopped being able to stream anything.  At this point I did a BT Wholesale test and got this:

20150210_2000_wholesaletest.jpg

My router at the same time shows a downstream noise margin drop of ~1.5dB:

20150210_2000_routerstats.png

At this point, nothing will return my service to normal other than a router reboot (I've left if for two days previously to prove the point, internet browsing is totally impossible until the router is rebooted, at which time service is absolutely fine again).

Here are my stats after the reboot:

20150210_2000_routerstats_rebooted.png

This was taken 2 minutes later than the first screenshot, all I did was reboot the router, nothing else was changed.  Noise margin back to normal, browsing back to normal, everything is fine.

Can anyone think of any reason why a router reboot would solve a problem with noise margin and packet loss that isn't just a faulty router?  Even if there is intermittent noise on the line (which I have absolutely no evidence of), why does the noise margin drop permanently each day until the router is rebooted, at which point it returns to normal?

Hopefully the BT guy coming out in the morning will know but I really can't understand how a drop cable problem, which is our best lead at the moment, could cause symptoms like the above. Can anyone else?

0 Ratings