cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 41 of 62

Re: Infinity 2 activated, speeds vastly slower than estimates, only 1432kbps up!

No noticeable difference to be honest, rock-solid 6dB margin up, downstream wobbles around by .5dB or so still.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 42 of 62

Re: Infinity 2 activated, speeds vastly slower than estimates, only 1432kbps up!

So I mailed BT about the issue with the SNR dropping when the phone is picked up and a chap called me back and didn't really seem to grasp why it was an issue.  He just kept telling me BT are trialling dropping the SNR to 3dB and because mine was above that even with the drop caused by the phone, there should be no problem, ignoring the fact that the SNR shouldn't budge if the faceplate is doing its job properly.

Anyway, I'm going to take the faceplate off the socket later and run from the test socket with a filter to see if I get the same results; I suppose after all this it's possible I have a faulty faceplate.  I still can't understand my sync dropping while the max attainable rose by so much but then I don't understand a lot about the problems I'm getting so there we go!

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 43 of 62

SNR still drops by 1.5dB up and about 1dB down when I pick up the phone, even when plugged directly into the test socket via an ADSL filter.  That narrows out the filter in the faceplate being the cause and suggests either my phone or some equipment in BT land, unless anyone has any other explanation?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 44 of 62

I have a faulty phone like that which I made work by doubling up the DSL filters on it.

However, last time I had a phone engineer visit he wasn't at all happy about my multiple filters so I took them off until he'd left.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
If you found this post helpful, please click on the star on the left
If not, I'll try again 🙂
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 45 of 62

lol, I'm happy to jury rig it if it'll get it working, but I just went and grabbed an old BT wired phone from next door to test and get exactly the same results: 6.0/6.0 SNR until I take the phone off the hook then it drops down to 4.5/5.0.

Surely has to be a problem with wiring or kit at BT's end at this point?
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 46 of 62

He just kept telling me BT are trialling dropping the SNR to 3dB and because mine was above that even with the drop caused by the phone, there should be no problem, ignoring the fact that the SNR shouldn't budge if the faceplate is doing its job properly.  the 3dB noise margin relates to  ADSL 2+ NOT Infinity if your noise margin is varying like that it suggests a line fault 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 47 of 62

So I'm still getting near daily resyncs, I've not swapped in the modem I've bought yet but I'm getting to the point where I'm going to have to just to try something else, but really I want to get to the bottom of the issues without changing yet another variable if I can.

BT acknowledged an issue which they claimed was a problem with a joint which should now be resolved, but I'm still getting desynched all the time and my stats still take a tumble whenever the phone is picked up:

Phone on hook:

sync_no_phone.png

Phone off hook:

sync_phone.png

The stats do slowly recover the longer the phone is kept off the hook but this isn't normal is it, I've seen the numbers go as low as 4.2/5.4 when testing?  I've never had problems with the phone affecting SNR like this before, although I've also never had VDSL before I moved here.

Any ideas if something is still wrong or if this is just the way things are, and daily resyncs will happen whatever BT do?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 48 of 62

@FastShow wrote:

The stats do slowly recover the longer the phone is kept off the hook but this isn't normal is it

That is symptomatic of a high-resistance fault. An engineer should be able to spot that.

Did you have an engineer come to your house at all?

If not, I'll try again 🙂
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 49 of 62

I've had 5 engineers since install, but none since I reported the SNR drop on phone pickup, they said there was a problem with a joint and it would be fixed within 48 hours, which was over 48 hours ago now.  I got a text the same evening I logged it saying fault cleared but obviously it isn't as I took the screenshots above just now.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 50 of 62

Well, they have to go and fix it, rather than tell you it will be fixed in 48 hours - what's the point in doing that?
If not, I'll try again 🙂
0 Ratings