cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 1 of 62

Infinity 2 activated, speeds vastly slower than estimates, only 1432kbps up!

I moved home this week and had Infinity 2 activated yesterday and I am very disappointed with my sync speeds.

Before I placed my order, this is what the BT Availability Checker showed me:

Clipboard01.png

When I placed my order, the following was in my order confirmation:

We estimate your download speed will be 51.6Mb.
We estimate your upload speed will be 12.4Mb.

Yet despite all of that, my router has in fact synched at:

Downstream: 22782 kbps
Upstream: 1433 kbps

This makes my download speed well under half of what was predicted, and my upload speed nearer a tenth of what was predicted.  My line stats from the HH5 are:

6. Data Rate: 1433 / 22782

7. Maximum Data Rate: 1477 / 22767

8. Noise Margin: 6.2 / 5.9

9. Line Attenuation: 0.0 / 31.9

10. Signal Attenuation: 0.0 / 0.0

Any idea if there is anything I can do to resolve this? Or if there is in fact anything to resolve and I'm not just a case of massively over-optimistic speed estimation?  I'm definitely not happy paying Infinity 2 prices for this sort of speed so something needs to happen, but would be interested to know if anyone has any suggestions?

0 Ratings
61 REPLIES 61
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 62

Re: Infinity 2 activated, speeds vastly slower than estimates, only 1432kbps up!

I think you should report a bad installation and request a broadband engineer attends to fix it.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
If you found this post helpful, please click on the star on the left
If not, I'll try again 🙂
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 3 of 62

Re: Infinity 2 activated, speeds vastly slower than estimates, only 1432kbps up!

And the best way to do that without being repeatedly told it's a problem because I have too many wifi devices connected, or that I need to keep resetting my HomeHub, is..?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 62

Just read them your stats as above pointing out the estimate and the actual, and deny you're using wifi. Tell them it's a bad installation and insist on an engineer visit.
If not, I'll try again 🙂
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 5 of 62

So it looks like a bodged installation is about right.  Shortly after I posted yesterday I tried to use my landline and found I had no dialtone.  Further investigation showed that if you called the landline it would ring, but if answered you were greeted with a ringing tone, as though you had dialed out.  No outbound calls are possible.

BT have logged the fault but have said the earliest they can get anyone to look at it is the 22nd of January, leaving me with no landline and broadband that is becoming increasingly unreliable (I'm now at 17mbps and change down, 1.4mbps up and every few hours packet loss suddenly jumps through the roof and I have to restart the router to get anything to work again).

So god knows what the installer actually did, but it is causing me no end of headaches this end, shame he didn't bother to test the phoneline, or establish that my sync speeds were a fraction of what were predicted.  It's been a long time since I used BT for anything and I'm rapidly beginning to regret the fact I decided to this time. 😞

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 6 of 62

...and as if by magic, the packetloss problem appears!

Ping statistics for 212.58.244.20:
Packets: Sent = 221, Received = 194, Lost = 27 (12% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 33ms, Maximum = 38ms, Average = 34ms

This happens every few hours, nothing but a router restart seems to resolve, after which it's fine again for another few hours.  Can't seem to work out what the trigger is.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 7 of 62

Broadband died again on its own overnight, woke up to only internal connectivity and no WAN.  Found lots of this for hours in the Event Log:

04:46:21, 19 Jan. PPP LCP Receive Configuration ACK
04:46:21, 19 Jan. PPP LCP Send Configuration ACK
04:46:20, 19 Jan. PPP LCP Receive Configuration Request
04:46:20, 19 Jan. PPP LCP Send Configuration Request
04:45:02, 19 Jan. PPP LCP Send Termination ACK
04:45:02, 19 Jan. PPP LCP Receive Termination Request (NONE)
04:44:53, 19 Jan. PPP CHAP Receive Challenge
04:44:52, 19 Jan. PPP LCP Send Configuration ACK
04:44:52, 19 Jan. PPP LCP Receive Configuration Request
04:44:49, 19 Jan. PPP LCP Receive Configuration ACK
04:44:49, 19 Jan. PPP LCP Send Configuration Request
04:44:40, 19 Jan. WAN connection PTM disconnected
04:44:35, 19 Jan. PPP LCP Send Termination Request (User request)
04:44:32, 19 Jan. PPP LCP Send Termination Request (Peer not responding)

No amount of playing in the router interface would get it to connect, rebooting immediately resolved.

This old Infinifty malarky isn't a lot like the adverts is it?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 8 of 62

Well, credit where credit's due, Openreach came out and fixed the phoneline yesterday evening and all is now good there.  My sync speeds also dramatically improved, I'm now synched at:

Downstream: 42623 kbps
Upstream: 14357 kbps

Much more in line with what I was predicted (and max attainable seems to be a good few Mbps higher too, so hopefully room for improvement).  However, I have a persistant problem that hasn't been resolved, which is that my HomeHub5 periodically starts dropping almost all packets to the outside world.  The HH5 never recovers from this (I've left it several hours to check) but a reboot instantly resolves and I've yet to find any other fix.

I did manage to get a tech on the phone while the problem was occurring and they logged into the router and said everything looked OK, there were no problems being reported, but the router then de-synched and re-synched, but the packetloss problem remained.  Here's a PingPlotter chart that shows what happens:

www.bbc.co.uk.png

The red bars show when packetloss is occurring, it starts intermittently at first, rapidly gets worse, then completely flakes out and everything on my network drops.  It goes back to green only when I reboot the HH5.  This then repeats every few hours, several times a day.

Has anyone ever seen anything like this?  The fact that a router reboot is the only fix suggests to me that the problem lies there, though I'm willing to be corrected.  I also have a very old 70s BT junction box which lies on the BT-side of the master socket, should this have been removed as part of the install?

Anyway, sorry to vent, just need to do something inbetween bouts of tearing my hair out.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 9 of 62

Is this tested over wifi?
If not, I'll try again 🙂
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 10 of 62

Nope, wired connection, although all devices connected to the HomeHub regardless of connection type suffer the same problem, in that connectivity to anything outside of the HH5 itself is lost.

Just realised the top part of the chart I posted doesn't correspond to the chart at the bottom, apologies for that, but you get the idea.

EDIT: Here's a fixed chart:

www.bbc.co.uk.png

0 Ratings