cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 31 of 62

Re: Infinity 2 activated, speeds vastly slower than estimates, only 1432kbps up!

It was all going so well, I was up to 6 days uptime when the router threw it's normal wobbly of retaining sync but dropping packets left and right and not allowing any internet access.  Since then I've had to reboot it a couple of times for the same issue and overnight tonight it dropped sync and reconnected way slower than before:

20150223_1212_routerstats.jpg.png

If I was connecting at my max data rate I'd be happy, but it seems once again something is causing the actual sync speed to reduce.  As per my earlier update, there is still a fault that shows up every time I have an OpenReach engineer out which is the Loop Resistance or something.  It always fails this test and nobody seems to know why, anyone here got any ideas?

I've also ordered a HG612 I'm going to try some time this week with my old Billion router to see if that helps things at all, but I really still think there's a downstream issue that needs fixing BT's side, but convincing them of the same is tricky!

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 32 of 62

Re: Infinity 2 activated, speeds vastly slower than estimates, only 1432kbps up!

Second time today it's done this:

ping_to_bbc_20150223_1346.png

Which makes browsing impossible (weirdly Skype is fine, presumably because it's more tolerant of dropped packets).  BT Wholesale test gives me this:

ping_to_bbc_20150223_1346.png

Spoke to BT faults again and they want to try swapping the router but I'm fairly sure there are still faults on the line, as evidenced by the repeated failed test on the engineer's device.  They did send me a swap-out a few weeks ago but it was a HH5 Type A instead of a Type B and synchronised significantly slower than my Type B (I was getting 38Mbps at the same time the Type B was giving 46+ as I recall) so I'm still sat on the original.  I'll happily try a swap but they don't seem to be able to choose which type is dispatched at the BT call centre I was talking to so not sure how much another swap will help.

Anyway, as always really just documenting this for my sake more than anything but always open to hear any suggestions.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 33 of 62

Bt engineer has been and gone, swapped some pairs at the nearest access point in the road, did some other mucking about from the junction box at the dropwire and he improved the sync on his test device by 10Mbps down (from ~32000 to ~42000), so again looks good. Stats now back to something sensible looking, hopefully everything will remain as is:

20150224_1149_routerstats.jpg.png

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 34 of 62

That looks much better with the data rate closer to the Max data rate.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
If you found this post helpful, please click on the star on the left
If not, I'll try again 🙂
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 35 of 62

So has anyone got a convincing explanation as to how this could happen?

20150227_0927_routerstats.jpg.png

Sync rate has dropped by 3Mbps overnight, yet the max data rate has INCREASED by nearly 6Mbps!  That doesn't seem normal to me.

Also, quick question: what should the variation be on the downstream SNR on VDSL?  Mine is currently going from 6dB to 5.5dB pretty much constantly, is that normal?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 36 of 62

Could be a fault. What happens if you use the phone line, does the noise margin change?
If not, I'll try again 🙂
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 37 of 62

Huh, what do you know, yes it does.  From 6.0 / 5.9 without the phone picked up, to 4.6 / 5.0 with it picked up.  Do I log this as a phone fault or a broadband fault?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 38 of 62

Is the noise margin more stable with the phone in use?
If not, I'll try again 🙂
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 39 of 62

Looks equally unstable to me, just with a much lower noise margin which I didn't think should be possible using a filtered faceplate?
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 40 of 62

Could be the phone. What happens if you unplug the phone from the phone socket?
If not, I'll try again 🙂
0 Ratings