cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 51 of 62

Re: Infinity 2 activated, speeds vastly slower than estimates, only 1432kbps up!

I was given the impression that the fault was outside my house somewhere, so someone would attend to address it, but if they did do that nothing changed.  I have a callback booked in from BT as I have a case manager on the case so I will flag it up with them then, but I wonder if this relates to the fact that every single engineer from day 1 has had a fail on the line loop resistance test which they've all dismissed as impossible and a fault with the test head at the exchange.

This is such hard work, but hopefully I'll get there in the end.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 52 of 62

Re: Infinity 2 activated, speeds vastly slower than estimates, only 1432kbps up!

So I've still got the same problems: SNR drops dramatically on phone pickup; overnight ~3am re-syncs every day or two; and throughput dropping to near zero while retaining sync every couple of days requiring a router reboot.

Sadly it has reached the point where BT are refusing to accept there is any issue remaining on the line, and I was all but called a liar on my last phonecall with the case manager.  I've been told that the four OpenReach engineers who have been out didn't actually do anything to resolve, and when I walked him through the list of things that have been done (which are documented as they happened in this thread) was told that OpenReach engineers shouldn't be talking to me telling me what they're doing!  Clearly the problem is too much communication from OR!

So I don't really know where to go from here; BT essentially don't believe there is a problem; my line stats and failure to reach more than 36 hours of uptime since install in January say otherwise.  I asked my case manager to escalate this further so we'll see where that goes, but at this stage I'm not holding out a huge deal of hope. 😞

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 53 of 62

Personally I'd get rid of the Home Hub 5,  The only thing they are good for is newtering into a wireless access point/4port gigabit switch in my opnion. That said an open reach modem + home hub 5 usually solved the early morning resyncs unless DLM is intervening for a good reason, but won't necessarily cure the home hub reboots. To cure the reboots you ether wait in hope of a firmware fix or buy a decent router. 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Sage
Message 54 of 62

@TNT555 wrote:

Personally I'd get rid of the Home Hub 5,  The only thing they are good for is newtering into a wireless access point/4port gigabit switch in my opnion. That said an open reach modem + home hub 5 usually solved the early morning resyncs unless DLM is intervening for a good reason, but won't necessarily cure the home hub reboots. To cure the reboots you ether wait in hope of a firmware fix or buy a decent router. 

I doubt very much that the HH5 is the cause of the problem with this issue ( I agree about replacing it with something better though).

Normally star wiring would be the cause but it appears not in this case.

I'm surprised no one has flagged this for Moderators intervention as the community cannot really help, I have now done thiis and would appreciate the thread being updated once the cause of the problem has been resolved.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 55 of 62

Every time I've pulled a HH5 from someones home network, no more reboots! Also DLM eventually starts to work like it should DLM calling the shots rather than router reboots cause the DLM to act unessasarilly.

It's been 4 times now, and the reported rebooting issue that BT finally reconised and may or may not have fixed in firmware. I'm not going to run a HH5 to find out thats for sure.

I'm just saying.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 56 of 62

I have a Huwai modem and Billion router on standby for when the problems eventually get fixed but I'm reluctant to swap it in when I know there are still issues with my line, because all that will happen then is BT will blame my kit and wash their hands of it.

I feel I should clarify my remaining problems as my router doesn't reboot itself, it just acts in such a way I need to reboot it manually.  So the issues I have are:

1) SNR drops from 6 to low 4s when any phone is picked up. Tested with multiple phones.  SNR then recovers over about 20 seconds

2) My line drops sync and resyncs early in the morning (usually between 3am and 5am). This happens every 24 - 72 hours.

3) My router starts dropping packets, download traffic all but ceases and (if I can get a BT Wholesale test to complete) my download shows as 0.01 - 0.03Mbps.  This happens every couple of days, seemingly worse at the weekend and normally between 5pm and 8pm.

I don't have the Type A reboot problems as I have a Type B HH5 which wasn't affected, but 3 is resolved by a reboot which I kick off manually.

I accept that 3 may well be solved with a router swap, and I suppose there's a slimmer chance it will fix 2 as well, although I feel this is less likely as line stats show I now connect nearly 10Mbps less than max attainable, suggesting some noise problem on the line.  But swapping the router won't fix the SNR issue because this seems to be a problem on the line itself.

So that's where I am, I don't know how come the mods overlook this post when it seems they intervene more quickly in other cases but I actually have a case manager in place anyway solely because of the number of engineers I've had out and the fact I requested it be escalated after 2 months of constant problems.  However, if the mods can do something in addition to what's happening now then that would obviously be amazing, BT are basically saying they don't believe there are any further problems with my line so this is as good as it'll get and I really don't believe that to be the case.

Fun times.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 57 of 62

Received a swap out HH5 today, Type A rather than Type B. Plugged it in and immediately lost another 1.5Mbps upsync, 1.2Mbps downsync and nearly 4Mbps from max attainable.  I'm going to leave it plugged in until BT run their next lot of tests but it's not looking promising.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 58 of 62

Stats predictably haven't improved and today for reasons I cannot explain, I lost 2.5dB from my upstream noise-margin:

6. Data rate:17162 / 44821
7. Maximum data rate:14127 / 51051
8. Noise margin:3.5 / 6.3

Sigh.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 59 of 62

Hopefully you still have the HH5 B.

What about the attenuation? Are those changing at all?
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
If you found this post helpful, please click on the star on the left
If not, I'll try again 🙂
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 60 of 62

Line attenuation has been 21.7-21.9 since they fixed the initial botched install, it still is now. The Type B doesn't report signal attenuation so this is the first reading I have:

9. Line attenuation: 0.0 / 21.9
10. Signal attenuation: 0.0 / 20.5

I do still have the Type B but BT want me to return it within the next 10 days or they'll charge me for it.  I think I'll be sending the Type A back again to be honest but I agreed to keep it in place until Thursday so BT can run some tests.  Incidentally this was in the logs this morning:

08:41:17, 18 Mar.

(48750.260000) CWMP: Download file, FileType=1, FileName=bt_prod_sec.enc.rms, Username=, CommandKey=1974628811

At 7:30am I had my normal 6/6 SNR, at 9am I checked again and had lost that 2.5dB, is there any way this could be related?  The router didn't reboot or reysnc.

EDIT - I'm still on v1.6 of Type A firmware just for the record.

0 Ratings