Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 1 of 17

Infinity 2 and IPSEC Issues

Go to solution

I have an interesting issue that I wonder if anyone can shed any light on.

I switched over my fibre broadband to BT Infinity 2 a week and a half ago (11/6) from Utility Warehouse. Ever since the switch over I cannot keep a stable IPSEC VPN connection when I connect back to my office from my work laptop. The IPSEC session stays up, but within the session the bandwidth is very constrained which causes outlook and lync to loose connection etc.

This issue happens whenI connect to any VPN end point in my corporate infrastructure (LDN, NY, SING, IND etc). The laptop connects fine on any other broadband connection with a stable IPSEC VPN Session and this includes a multitude of hotels, hotspots and general over used connection points. Normal web browsing and SSL VPN access is absolutely fine and the speed test is showing that I am getting 45MBs even at busy times in the evening which is cool.

I have called BT support and, to be frank, they have been awful. They refuse to support me as they "don't support VPN" and apparently I need to phone one of the chargeable BT Services for help. They won't even send an engineer to check the line end to end as they say the tests they have done show no issues. This doesn't fill me with confidence as the guy I spoke to didn't even know what IPSEC was.

I have tried multiple VDSL modems and also the latest HH and a Draytec router and the same issue is in place. I plan to try with a the Draytec 2860 router which includes a VDSL model this evening.

What is interesting is that this issue is exactly the reason why I swapped from Utility Warehouse. My broadband connection was fine for a couple of weeks and then I had exactly the same IPSEC VPN issue. They provided terrible support as well and in the end I decided to go back to BT.......wherein I find I have EXACTLY the same issue. It smells like a physical line fault to me but would be interested to get anyone else's view.

0 Ratings
16 REPLIES 16
Highlighted
Expert
Message 2 of 17

Re: Infinity 2 and IPSEC Issues

Go to solution

Post deleted.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 3 of 17

Go to solution

Why was this deleted?

@Rottie wrote:

Post deleted.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 17

Go to solution

Have you read the other threads on this subject?

See https://community.bt.com/t5/forums/searchpage/tab/message?filter=labels%2Clocation&location=forum-bo...

It may have something to do with the fact you are on a residential service, and not a business one.

BT usually provide some support to BT Business broadband customers.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 5 of 17

VPN Issues

Go to solution

I switched over my fibre broadband to BT Infinity 2 a week and a half ago (11/6) from Utility Warehouse. Ever since the switch over I cannot keep a stable IPSEC VPN connection when I connect back to my office from my work laptop. The IPSEC session stays up, but within the session the bandwidth is very constrained which causes outlook and lync to loose connection etc.

This issue happens whenI connect to any VPN end point in my corporate infrastructure (LDN, NY, SING, IND etc). The laptop connects fine on any other broadband connection with a stable IPSEC VPN Session and this includes a multitude of hotels, hotspots and general over used connection points. Normal web browsing and SSL VPN access is absolutely fine and the speed test is showing that I am getting 45MBs even at busy times in the evening which is cool.

I have called BT support and they can't help as they "don't support VPN" and apparently I need to phone one of the chargeable BT Services for help. They won't send an engineer to check the line end to end as they say the tests they have done show no issues.

I have tried multiple VDSL modems and also the latest HH and a Draytec router and the same issue is in place. I plan to try with a the Draytec 2860 router which includes a VDSL modem this evening.

What is interesting is that this issue is exactly the reason why I swapped from Utility Warehouse. My broadband connection was fine for a couple of weeks and then I had exactly the same IPSEC VPN issue. They provided terrible support and in the end I decided to go back to BT.......wherein I find I have EXACTLY the same issue. It smells like a physical line fault to me but would be interested to get anyone else's view.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 6 of 17

Go to solution

@AdamBarton wrote:

Why was this deleted?

@Rottie wrote:

Post deleted.

I thought I saw you cross-post in another area of the forum, regarding the same issue and I politely requested that you remove one of the threads, as it could cause confusion for people trying to help you.

When I double-checked the other forum area, I couldn't find the duplicate thread, so I edited out my comment in this thread.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 7 of 17

Go to solution
Was indeed a cross post . I have posted to a correct forum so this post can be deleted to save confusion. Thanks
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 8 of 17

Go to solution

There are several issues here including getting the VPN to work, and the absence of BT support.

Concentrating on the first issue: you will find a number of threads on this forum about problems that people have with VPN, usually when using a Home Hub 5. We are still waiting for advice from BT on whether there is a systematic problem with the HH5; some people report successful connections, other that connections fail. You seem to have tried a number of ways of connecting so yours may not be a HH5 problem, if indeed there is one. You may want to look at those treads to see if they help.

As you are new to BT there are a couple of traps set for the unwary that you may not have come across. You need to disable BT Web Address help http://preferences.webaddresshelp.bt.com/selfcare/preferences.cgi Also, some people suggest that parental controls can cause problems http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/46768/related/1

Please, if you do find a solution to your problems, come back here and tell us.

Michael
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 9 of 17

Re: VPN Issues

Go to solution
http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/16737/c/346,407,411

https://status.aa.net.uk/1854
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
If you found this post helpful, please click on the star on the left
If not, I'll try again 🙂
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 10 of 17

Re: VPN Issues

Go to solution
Many thanks for your response. This has already been disabled as I found this on the forum last week.
0 Ratings