cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
planetmatt
Beginner
Message 1 of 12

Infinity 2 connection unusable due to latency spikes

I've had Infinity 2 for 2 weeks.  Until last night, everything was perfect.  I got 68 down and 20 up with steady stable connection.

Last night, all my online games became unplayable.  

My sync speed has dropped to 60 down but the actual throughbut is now down to 18 down and 4 up.  

Bad enough but usable.  The real issue is that the connection's latency now spiked endlessly makiing all online games unplayable.

My PC is wired to a HH5 connected to the master socket.  The socket was installed by Openreach 2 weeks ago.  

Below I've posted by HH5 stats, a wholesale speed test, and the results from a continual ping to bbc.co.uk showing the lag spikes,  

I called BT this morning and the helpdesk person just said she could see no problems and she could see I was getting 60 down and 20 up.  She had me open my master socket and connect the HH5 to the test socket but this didn't change anything.

What's going on here?   I'd rather have my ADSL connection back.  I can endure the lower bandwidth but with latency spikes like this, I cannot use my connection for gaming which is all I use it for.  

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 12

Re: Infinity 2 connection unusable due to latency spikes

can you enter your phone number and post results  remember to delete number 

https://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/main.html

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
planetmatt
Beginner
Message 3 of 12

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 12

can you run btspeedtester diagnostic test and see if speed back to normal now please

your conenction speed is currently within your estimated speed although at bottom end

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
planetmatt
Beginner
Message 5 of 12

Not sure I would agree thant 24 falls inside the range 46-78.  That's way under the minimum.  

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 12

your connection estimate was 79/60mb and according to your stats you have a 62mb conenction speed which is bottom end of estimate. 

I am not saying download speed just conenction speed is within estimate

0 Ratings
planetmatt
Beginner
Message 7 of 12

So what is causing the actual download speed to be a third of the sync speed and what's causing the strange continuous latency fluctuations?

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 12

run btspeedtester and when first test completes then run diagnostic test and post results  must be done wired 

btspeedtester

0 Ratings
planetmatt
Beginner
Message 9 of 12

What concerns me is that all the troubleshooting tools and my discussion with the BT call center only discuss bandwidth and seem to totally ignore latency.  

Yes, all these graphs and test show that my bandwidth is compromised but nothing apart from my intial Ping screenshot addresses the latency which is my primary concern.  I can live with 23Mps bandwidth IF the latency is low.  As you can see, it goes from 11ms (what is was all the time before yesterday) up to 200 and 400 then back down to 11.  If broadband were a tap, it's like somebody turning the tap on and off really fast.  Bandwidth is just how fat the tap is and is a secondary concern to me.

Why is the connection so jumpy?

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 12

try quiet line test  dial 17070 option 2  should be quiet, no noise, and best with corded phone

was install by openreach engineer or a contractor (maybe Kellys)

0 Ratings