cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 8

Infinity 2 much slower than BT guaranteed speed when ordered

i had infinity 2 installed last month and it's never got anywhere near the speed BT gave me on order. Wholesale line checker says 

Downstream Range(Mbps)

Availability Date

High Low High Low
FTTC Range A (Clean) 80 78.9 20 20 -- Available
FTTC Range B (Impacted) 80 76.7 20 19 -- Available
WBC ADSL 2+ Up to 14.5 -- 12 to 16.5 Available
WBC ADSL 2+ Annex M Up to 14.5 Up to 1 12 to 16.5 Available
ADSL Max Up to 8 -- 7 to 8 Available
WBC Fixed Rate 2 -- -- Available
Fixed Rate 2 -- -- Available
Other Offerings
FTTP on Demand 330 30 -- Available
Fibre Multicast -- -- -- Available
Copper Multicast -- -- -- Available

but the line only gets 

Information for Helpdesk agents

When contacting the BT Broadband helpdesk, the agent might ask you for details about your BT Home Hub. This page contains all of the information they are likely to request

1. Product Name: HomeHub5
2. Serial number: +076286+1524010549
3. Firmware version: v0.07.05.0A13-BT (Type B) Last updated 13/12/2015
4. Board version: 01
5. VDSL uptime: 1 days, 01:27:03
6. Data Rate: 11605 / 49266
7. Maximum Data Rate: 11605 / 49461
8. Noise Margin: 6.1 / 6.4
9. Line Attenuation: 31.4 / 21.9
10. Signal Attenuation: 0.0 / 0.0

Ive had an engineer who tested the line and was getting these rates in the cabinet itself! He says they swapped me to a new port and the rate at the cab was flat out but left before it activated so couldn't test at house. He did swap my external box and fitted the split master socket so running out of ideas. 

Any ideas? Help desk is hard to deal with and took 3 weeks to get an engineer. 

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 8

Re: Infinity 2 much slower than BT guaranteed speed when ordered

From the stats you have posted I cannot see how with an attenuation od 21.9db that you will get anywhere near estimated speed so either estimate is well out or there is a line problem

have you any rough idea how far you are from the street cabinet

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 8

Thanks for the reply. I'm about 120m from the cabinet. 

would the engineer have seen the high attenuation on his tester? He didn't say anything when he was here. 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 8

If you are that close and even allowing for a bit of deviation of the cable to your home, unless on poles and you can see it, the checker estimate would appear to be reasonable and your stats far to low - probably line problem.  did engineer say anything about aluminium cable?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 8

He didn't say anything about aluminium but was surprised it was low speed. What he did say was the cabinet wiring was shockingly bad. 

Do do you think it's worth getting them back or do you think it will train up?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 8

I would certainly want an engineer visit to get your speed up to estimate as it will not reach anywhere near that without help. Phone customer services and get engineer visit. Don't let them put you off by saying they will monitor your line for 24/48hrs as that is just time wasted. If they cannot get your speed up to estimate then you have right to cancel with no charge

Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 8

Thanks, I'll call them tomorrow. 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 8

Please update especially if you have problems with customer services and we can see if mods will help. But customer services first

0 Ratings